[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vim
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: vim3.gif (94 KB, 1122x820) Image search: [Google]
vim3.gif
94 KB, 1122x820
Name one editor better than Vim.

Pro tip: You can't.
>>
File: ignucius.jpg (40 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ignucius.jpg
40 KB, 800x600
>>55094203
emacs you nigger
>>
Notepad++
>>
faggots like you make me ashamed to be a vim user
>>
>>55094237

But I have only 10 fingers, how do I press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Caps + Esc + Space + Tab + Return + Backspace + <key>?
>>
>>55094248
what's your vimrc?
>>
vim + tmux so fucking comfy to develop with
>>
>>55094325

every time someone mentions tmux, I google about it, read what it is, and still have no idea what it is.
>>
>>55094283
http://hastebin.com/acobejexen.xml

btw, the fuck happened to pastebin? it's giving my eye cancer now
>>
>>55094349
It has quiet a few uses.
You can have multiple panes per terminal window (kinda like splits in vim).
You can also detach from these sessions (I usually have a session for every major project I'm working on) and attach to them when needed again - also works over SSH of course so it's a nice way to maintain remote hosts.
There is quiet a learning curve, but once you get used to the shortcuts and stuff it's fucking awesome
>>
>>55094203

This troll image again.

>>55094237
Fuck off stallman.

Im learning vim now. p pastes text from the buffer and I just learned that dd doesnt just delete lines but saves it to the buffer.

Previously I thought y (yank) and c (cut) save to the buffer. Do other detention commands save to buffer or is it just dd as that seems to be irregular (though usefull) in the larger scheme of things.
>>
>>55094349

It splits screens. Allowing you multiple work areas. So you can lets say examine one file while typing in a second. Its like split screen without a gui. Split text boxes.
>>
>>55094494
>>55094349

Only time I have really used it before was when setting up a nas server. I had to make like 8 tmux splits and have each one run a bunch of randoms 1s and 0s to test the drives for 2-3 days. Its nice being able to detach from them basically close them and they are still alive in the background.
>>
>>55094699

Also this wasnt even linux or vim this was a freenas box which is another unix derivative.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.