[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have the EFF investigate Microsoft for malicious practices regarding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Microsoft Windows 10.png (11 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft Windows 10.png
11 KB, 256x256
Hey, /g/. Are you annoyed by how Windows 10 is pushed down on people's PCs? Well, apparently there's a petition about it:

https://www.change.org/p/the-electonic-frontier-foundation-have-the-eff-investigate-microsoft-for-malicious-practices-regarding-windows-10

> Have the EFF investigate Microsoft for malicious practices regarding Windows 10

> hope that this petition reaches the eyes and ears of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an organization whose stated mission is, "EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. We work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows." (https://www.eff.org/about)

[..] sign this petition to draw the EFF's attention and ask them to investigate Microsoft for unethical business practices [..]

Found it via:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBZaq1oY-M
>>
What the fuck is the EFF gonna do. They're just a fucking organization, they're not linked to the government.
>>
>>55092670
Well, I don't know, but maybe more than what the average Windows user who got their PC "upgraded" without their consent is doing now.
>>
>>55092817
>"upgraded" without their consent

No such thing. Users are dumb. If they don't know how to say no to the update then they should be forced to use Windows 10 because it's 100000 times more secure than previous Windows versions.

If they managed to upgrade without their consent then they may as well have installed ransomware that destroyed their computer.
>>
>>55092876
>If they don't know how to say no to the update then they should be forced to use Windows 10
I don't think so. People associate the [x] button as close/no, so their PC's should not be updated if they don't explicitely allow it.

>>55092876
>Windows 10 because it's 100000 times more secure than previous Windows versions
That is not true and you know it.

>>55092876
>If they managed to upgrade without their consent then they may as well have installed ransomware that destroyed their computer.
Also not tru. Someone might just be using their computer to browse Wikipedia. That's it. Their PC would still get this crap installed.
>>
>>55092670
They are professionals so they have a better chance at finding exactly what data Microsoft collects. That is the only thing I think is worth investigating for Windows 10.

>>55092817
Why do you ignore my requests for a picture of your feet?

>>55092876
People have reported that the upgrade timer never popped up for them. Also, Microsoft changed the close button's functionality from pushing off the upgrade to upgrading their computer. Changing what the close button does was a really shitty thing to do.
>>
mfw no reaction from EU
makes you wonder who supports refugee crisis
>>
>>55092998
Good point. What the fuck are the EU doing? They were happy to shit all over Microsoft not long ago.
>>
>>55092982
>People have reported that the upgrade timer never popped up for them. Also, Microsoft changed the close button's functionality from pushing off the upgrade to upgrading their computer. Changing what the close button does was a really shitty thing to do.

I forgot to add that in their own documentation about how windows controls should work it's stated that [x] button should close and deny any question.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742499(v=vs.85).aspx
> The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK.
So it's against their own policies.

>>55092998
Maybe not for as long as 7 and 8 are supported? Just a guess..
>>
>>55092876

JerryLeeCooper is it you?

https://eksith.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/jerry-lee-cooper-the-reason-ms-can-still-make-a-buck/
>>
>>55092282
>EFF
random dude club that lobbies for anarchy on the web
>investigate
Eh? Will FSF pass laws next?
>>
>>55092282
GET IT NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!

FREE UPGRADES ARE ENDING IN JULY!!!!

AFTER THAT THE RETAIL PRICE WILL BE $200
>>
>>55094661
The EFF is basically an army of lawyers and lobbyists payed by technology enthusiasts and companies to battle other armies of lawyers and lobbyists. The EFF is able to achieve things because they have the money to do it.
>>
Why didn't you just remove KB3035583 like a good little boy?
>>
Sounds to me like the usual GNU/Linux retards trying to find some way to get their hands on MS source code (even by theft under the disguise of "review") because as has been proven all these years already these people really want a free as in beer Windows.

Not going to happen.
With Stallmans age and obesity he will be dead within 5 years most likely and then the cancer that is extremist freetards will begin to disappear.
>>
>>55092876

FUCKING THIS

USERS ARE STUPID
>>
Who the fuck are you EFF? Why are you stirring up so much trouble? And who pays you?
>>
>>55092282
>hurr durr EFF can do things

Get the government to audit their practices instead
>>
>>55095271
See
>>55095121
>>
File: 1306888067451.png (4 KB, 206x237) Image search: [Google]
1306888067451.png
4 KB, 206x237
The only problem here is the lack of complete user control of incoming/outgoing Internet traffic.
More importantly, a default and complete sandbox of all Internet traffic unless the user specifies.
Much like Comodo asks once any file asks for Internet Access,
so should the OS itself.
Especially telemetry shit and other shit.
Simply shut everything down, and ban any background network operation without user consent,
whether critical or not.
If Microshit could be forced to do this, Windows 10 would actually be worth something.

Except i still wouldn't want Windows 10 as a desktop user since it ain't a desktop OS so long as it has that shitty Metro shit. It is a fucking tablet OS.
>>
>>55095265
No one is paying me. I just found that on the internet and posted here.
>>
>>55095667
Whoooosh
>>
>>55092876
If you don't stand up for the rights of others, you don't deserve those rights yourself.
>>
>>55095202
I hope this is just a troll please don't do this to me
>>
>>55095936
it is
>>
what I dont understand is why everyone doesnt download and install windows 10 in some kind of ironic way, like posting videos of themselves doing it for the most bizzarre and comical reasons?

Surely theres comedy value in it somewhere?
>>
>>55096189
...you'd have to download and install windows 10 giving them more user numbers to show off
>>
>>55096189
nah, that'll be just a waste of time
>>
File: 1455974546813.jpg (80 KB, 788x681) Image search: [Google]
1455974546813.jpg
80 KB, 788x681
>>55095265
TELL ME ABOUT THE EFF!
WHY DO THEY MASK THE WEB?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.