[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ whats the hold up for Windows implementing the "always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: bwElT.png (9 KB, 508x372) Image search: [Google]
bwElT.png
9 KB, 508x372
/g/ whats the hold up for Windows implementing the "always on top" right click option for all application windows that linux enviroments have had for a while now?

is it something difficult to add to their code or is there some patent on it
>>
adding anything at all the windows is hard as fuck
that shit is a maze of spaghetti code built on a 20 year old system
>>
>>55087797
There are various freeware tools that can add the functionality though. It can't be that difficult.
>>
>>55086301
You can ask this aboyt any feature. Im still waiting for a dozen of these things since years. What the goddamn fuck are those lazy pajeets at ms even doing all day? Its been forever since windows had updates that actually did anything
>>
Windows does have it in their api. Check MSDN for SetWindowPosition and look at the Z Order flags. I think -1 sets that window to always be ontop
>>
>>55088380
SetWindowPos* whatever same shit
>>
>>55088291
It is. You don't even need to look at pic related, you just have to try making your own theme with vista style builder for windows 7/8.1/10. The fucking graphical spaghetti is mindboggling.
>>
autohotkey win+y

#y::
WinGet, currentWindow, ID, A
WinGet, ExStyle, ExStyle, ahk_id %currentWindow%
if (ExStyle & 0x8) ; 0x8 is WS_EX_TOPMOST.
{
Winset, AlwaysOnTop, off, ahk_id %currentWindow%
SplashImage,, x0 y0 b fs12, OFF always on top.
Sleep, 1500
SplashImage, Off
}
else
{
WinSet, AlwaysOnTop, on, ahk_id %currentWindow%
SplashImage,,x0 y0 b fs12, ON always on top.
Sleep, 1500
SplashImage, Off
}
return
>>
>>55088410
saged
>>
>>55088584
struck a nerve, isac?
>>
been using this tool since the article was released. it's great.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/218511/Windows.html
>>
also DisplayFusion is a great tool to add lots to windows even if you don't have multiple displays. you still can't add to the context menu, but you can add a button to the title bar to toggle always on top, etc.

there's probably a registry key you can add for the context menu. i really hope windows eventually drops the registry entirely, though
>>
>>55088584
what a terrible show
>>
>>55088669
what do you mean by can't add to the context menu
>>
>>55088689
display fusion won't let you change the right click context menu (it's called a context menu right?) of a program's titlebar for always on top/etc., but you can add buttons there and/or set keyboard shortcuts
>>
>>55086301
There are 3rd party programs that do that, and also allow you to set transparency of windows. I think Windows has this implemented, there's just no control for it by default.
>>
>>55088570
^SPACE::  Winset, Alwaysontop, , A
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.