[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux OS for personal use and training.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
hey /g/ i am learning Linux and i am trying to make a Linux box.

i have a 6400GB WD and a 2TB WD HDD
and i was thinking about Mint and Windows
or Mint and "Ubuntu server" .
(i need a desktop OS and a training OS that i can wipe my training if i fuck up)
any suggestions?
>>
You can't "fuck up" Linux unless you play with something super deep into the system files. The worst you'll do is crash X.

Learn how to use nano. From there you can unfuck any problems you create directly from the terminal in ten seconds. Then go install Ubuntu.
>>
>>55086220
not what i meant i just want to know a good desktop OS and a training OS
>>
>>55086185
>>55086256
Use Xubuntu. Or normal Ubuntu if you want to deal with the obnoxious mess that Gnome has become. Or CentOS if you want more of an 'enterprise' feel with more stability. Or Debian if you want even more stability. Or Fedora if you want something pretty that breaks all the time. Or Arch if you want something ugly that breaks all the time. Or Gentoo if you want the same and also want to build literally everything from source. Or Linux from Scratch if you want to make your own entire operating system. The world is your oyster, really.

Personally, though, I'd go with Xubuntu or CentOS.
>>
>>55087612
Just run Windows in a VM for when you want to use MS Office. But dual-boot for games, unless it's something that runs on Linux through Steam etc-- increasingly many of them do.
>>
File: 1465925361115.jpg (89 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
1465925361115.jpg
89 KB, 800x484
>>55086185
> install gentoo
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page/en
> free yourself from proprietary software
>>
>>55086185
Gentoo is what you want if you want training.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.