[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How truthful is that cracked programs get detected as """"false
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: false positive.jpg (21 KB, 706x150) Image search: [Google]
false positive.jpg
21 KB, 706x150
How truthful is that cracked programs get detected as """"false positive"""""
>>
%100. No such thing as a false false positive.
>>
>>55085072
will the guy creating the virus admit it's a virus?
>>
>>55085333
Why would he do that
>>
>>55085072
Happens pretty often because crack writers go to great lengths to shrink and obfuscate their shit, which makes it look virus-like.

However, this also means that a nefarious person could infect the crack with something and you'd be none the wiser.

When in doubt, upload it to Jotti and see what you get back. If you get results for "UPX" or "Packer.generic" or things like that, those aren't viruses and are safe. "Generic trojan" is a bit more borderline, but usually safe - have backups just the same.

Actual named viruses aside from those showing up on more than one or two scanners means there's shenanigans definitely going on.
>>
>>55085341
Maybe nobody has ever asked him, and he's actually a really honest guy.
>>
>>55085373
Although I agree with you... I would be hesitant to call UPX or Packer.Generic safe.... I mean it probably is, but you still don't know
>>
>>55085408
UPX or Packer just literally means that the file was run through a utility to shrink its file size. It is not a marker of any shenanigans of any kind.

See: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/49032-enough-with-the-upx-packed-virus-false-alarms-enough/
>>
Why do people even put "..." after their comment?

If anything it makes him seem less credible
>>
>>55085433
I know what packers are, in just saying that malware authors don't want their shit easily identifiable, so they use packers too. UPX is easy to unpack and check for suspicious activity, but just cause it's packed doesn't mean is safe
>>
Depends, Steam games that use the simple Steam Crack to bypass the Steam DRM have no bussiness at all being detected as virus, so if you download a Steam games and the crack gets detected you can be 100% sure it is a virus.
>>
>2016 Anno Domini et aedificare Muru
>still using cracked programs

wew la
>>
>>55085452

It's a sign of expectancy. Like
"I can't believe you didn't know "..." in a sentence meant expectancy."
>>
>>55085404
It's like in those movies where if a bad guy asks an undercover cop if he's a cop, the cop is obligated to say yes.

Similarly, if a person that made a virus is asked if he made a virus, he is obligated to tell the truth. It's just common courtesy.
>>
>>55085498
Not everyone lives in a super-rich city state, "la."
>>
>>55085640
>cant even afford to pay software
Did you fall for the "pc has unlimited free games" meme?
>>
>>55085662
Are you implying that it doesn't?
>>
>>55085072
keyboard's broken OP
>>
>>55085072
Why are you asking? Don't you decompile/debug/analise shady shit in a sandbox before trusting it to your machine?
>>
>>55085072
Their code injection behavior within .dll files is what flags them as virii.
>>
>>55085662
I wasn't talking about myself, just pointing it out.
>>
>>55085498
This. I saw the word "cracked" and immediately checked the date to make sure that it's 2016 and not 1999.
>>
Who even pays for software anymore? 99% of shit I want is available for free. University pays for 50% of my software, 25% of software is free for being a student, and the other 25% is free if you contact the company asking for a student license.
>>
>>55085373
No we don't. We deobfuscate, if anything. I'm out of practice, but these days we remove more executable packers than anything else: even Denuvo qualifies as one, at a basic level.

Repacking things with UPX afterwards is harmless: every good AV knows exactly how to look inside, it's standardised.

Sometimes we use techniques that raise eyebrows in the crack, such as ROP, or things get turned into a NOP sled, or non-standard NOPs used as signals to CPU microcode (Denuvo uses these, too). Or anything inside a loader, which might do DLL side loading or any of a number of tricks.

Speaking for myself if an AV flagged my shit on VirusTotal I'd figure out why and work around it. So in this day and age I'd consider it suspicious, especially with assholes taking releases and putting malware in them.

False positives do happen however. More with protections and tools than with cracks. Some AVs suck.

Part of the reason I left the scene is because they refused to sign releases. Really only DAMN ever did. Now look at it.
>>
>>55085740
is this some trendy new thing where we change words around or are you saying theres no cracked software anymore?
>>
>>55085704
fyi, the plural of virus is viruses:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/3838/viruses-or-virii
>>
>>55085565
public game cheats

>trojan horse black wizard
>keylogger monkey
>bitcoin miner helper
>ransomware

is this a virus?
>>
Tbh there's plenty of freeware that performs as well as commercial software nowadays
>>
>>55088144
nice meme
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.