[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Personal help desk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 7367.photo0141[1].jpg (47 KB, 448x325) Image search: [Google]
7367.photo0141[1].jpg
47 KB, 448x325
About a month ago, I started having a problem where staticy horizontal lines gash across both monitors seemingly at random (although usually worse when the video card is working harder) and cause the screen to flicker momentarily. Example: http://i.imgur.com/P7BKlhv.gif (Sorry for the quality - video was clipped to protect the privacy of people.) The lines appear across both monitors in the same exact place at the same time. They don't appear in desktop recordings/screenshots/etc. (Pic related is not my actual computer)

I've reseated the GPU, all cables, dusted my computer, made sure nothing was overheating, made sure both monitors have the same refresh rate, did clean installs of the GPU drivers and software, updated my mobo's BIOS, and even replaced the GPU. The problem only occurs when both monitors are plugged into the GPU and are both being used. (Setting my projection mode to PC screen only or Second screen only makes the issue go away, also having one monitor plugged into my integrated GPU and the other into my discrete GPU resolves the issue.) When this started, I occasionally got a blue screen error "thread stuck in device driver". (Just got my replacement GPU yesterday, haven't had a blue screen yet.)

My only ideas are electrical feedback (as many connected components of my PC are plugged into separate outlets) or software/firmware conflicts. I doubt it's electrical feedback because I didn't have the issue with months of frequent use and it suddenly happened out of the blue one day. Not to mention if the blue screen error is related, that makes it highly unlikely

Specs:
Win10 x64
i5 4690k
R9 290 (monitors connected via DVI cables)
8GB DDR3 RAM
MSI Z97 PC Mate
>>
>>55084271
Maybe your airflow is shit and card is overheating
>>
>>55084305
>made sure nothing was overheating

Happens when the GPU and CPU are both <50C (currently GPU is ~45C and CPU is ~35C and it's still happening)
>>
>>55084325
If it not the card and not the monitors its probably cabled
>>
>>55084393
I considered this, but find it unlikely since it's only a problem when both monitors are in use. Using a single monitor (and the corresponding cable) separately both have no problems.
>>
>>55084430
Maybe because two cables are so close to each other. Maybe there is a design flaw from card manufacturer of choice.
>>
>>55084476
Perhaps, but that doesn't explain why I had no problems for months. Seems like the kind of thing that'd be apparent pretty immediately. (I do appreciate the help, but I've really mulled over all the possibilities before asking for help.)
>>
>>55084500
Cant be specific to one card since you replaced the card too. How about moving the pc somewhere else?
>>
>>55084527
And you did a driver rollback too so not broken because of new drivers.
>>
>>55084271
Your GPU is defective.
>>
>>55084527
To be fair, I RMAd my GPU and got a different model 290. Both have the outputs in very similar ways.

>>55084539
No, I'll try that soon.

>>55084571
Already replaced it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.