[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's so bad about closed source? If the developer wants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: hikaru.png (862 KB, 661x906) Image search: [Google]
hikaru.png
862 KB, 661x906
what's so bad about closed source?
If the developer wants to make money, he will do so most with closed source.
and what if its collecting some data. I know this isn't an argument, but what is the likelyness they're using it for malicious purposes.
my gut tells me its very unlikely for most closed source, except windows and big software which have a lot of users and thus data to sell.

Unrelated, but how do GPL people know if a closed-source software is a copy of their program?
Its closed-source, right, how do they check if they don't have access?
>>
>>55084100
I don't care

but I certainly do care when currysoft injects literal spyware into an IDE
>>
>>55084100
source code was a mistake.
>>
>>55084100
>Everyone on /g/ wants only free open source software
>Everyone on /g/ complains of how hard it is to get a decent paying job in IT
The more free software there is around, the less IT jobs there are.
>>
Is it weird that I believe in total communism when it comes to software, but in die hard capitalism for everything else?
>>
File: 1464037790602.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1464037790602.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>55084100
> obvious non-dev argues about dev stuff poorly
/g/ in a nutshell. Another post by an ill informed consumer that's not even worth refuting.

I have so little (You)s left at this point.

Where do I go for rich dialogue with actual programmers, /g/? (besides IRC)
>>
>>55084669
No.
>>
>>55085039
>hurrdurr you need to know how to fizzbuzz in order to know that you can make your source code open source or closed source
>>
File: 1463584090306.png (103 KB, 275x300) Image search: [Google]
1463584090306.png
103 KB, 275x300
>>55085123
I can't even. That's not what I was saying at all, and proved my point.

Goodbye fag.
>>
>>55085123
>> "actual programmers"
> fizzbuzz
sounds like he was talking about you, friendo
>>
File: MAI_KOFXIII_stance.gif (65 KB, 159x196) Image search: [Google]
MAI_KOFXIII_stance.gif
65 KB, 159x196
>>55084177

if they lied to you, then file a lawsuit on the grounds of misleading advertising

people are just going to have to collectively learn to understand the licensing docs more carefully and refuse software that can legally place their interests at unreasonable level of risk.
>>
>>55085039
also, anon, most "actual programmers" as you call them like being productive, and figured out long ago that shitposting on /g/ kills your productivity.

only NEETs are going to have enough time to both talk on forums all day *and* build OSS.
>>
>>55085249
This. Everyone here is a pretentious know it all twat. Get rektd faggot
>>
>>55085039
what did I say that was wrong, you can't just say "lol he's so dumb"
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.