[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
June 15 SpaceX launch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: f9-eutelsat-abs-2.png (101 KB, 271x272) Image search: [Google]
f9-eutelsat-abs-2.png
101 KB, 271x272
ITT: We prepare for tomorrow's launch. Short tutorials on orbital mechanics are welcome, either in pictorial or textual form. About the mission itself:

Launch:
>SpaceX is targeting launch from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida on June 15. The approximately 45-minute launch window opens on June 15 at 10:29am ET, 2:29pm UTC. EUTELSAT 117 West B will be deployed approximately 30 minutes after liftoff, and ABS-2A will be deployed 5 minutes later.
>Following stage separation, the first stage of Falcon 9 will attempt an experimental landing on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship. As with other GTO missions, the first-stage will be subject to extreme velocities and re-entry heating, making a successful landing difficult.

Payload:
* Eutelsat 117 West B: Will provide telecommunication services for America and Murica from a geostationary orbit at 117ºW
* ABS 2A: Idem for Eastern Europe, Russia, .*stan and India from GSO at 75ºE

picrelated and data ripped shamelessly from http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/spacex_eutelsat_abs_press_kit.pdf

TLDR:
Elon Musk tries tomorrow to put two satellites in orbit again
Both are supposed to gottagofast.png, so recovery of first stage is not assured
We prepare for questions and comments that may arise in tomorrow's inevitable thread
>yes-roundabout-jojo-to-be-continued.webm
>inb4 spacesex shill
>inb4 opis afag
>inb4 op cant inb4
>inb4 op cant >op cant inb4
>>
Shameless self-bump
>>
ITT: OP is enraged that the front page is chock-full with gaymen and tinfoil while actual technolo/g/ can't make it to page 2
>>
>>55079864

HAPPENING
>>
>>55079864
tell me again why a privately-owned spacecraft i a good idea?

especially since it's owned by a guy named fucking "elon"
>>
>>55081160
>tell me again why a privately-owned spacecraft i a good idea?

because when it fucks up and kills people, my taxes don't pay for their cleanup or funerals
>>
>>55081160
>privately-owned spacecraft
>SpaceX has won more than $5.5 billion in government contracts from NASA and the U.S. Air Force

You are already subsidizing the company.
>>
>>55081222
>>55081271
not to mention the complete waste of cape canaveral's valuable resources. he's obviously stealing from the public, but for no worthwhile purpose

spacex's website says it's so people can live on mars. that's fucking retarded
>>
File: spacex.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
spacex.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>
>>55081160
>tell me again why a privately-owned spacecraft i a good idea?

until NASA gets their shit together, I'll take it over piggybacking on russian rockets
>>
>>55081332
As opposed to ULA selling flights at 2-3x what SpaceX does on their medium-weight launchers? A Falcon 9 costs ~$62 mil to launch, an Altas V costs anywhere from $164M to $350M to launch, and has inferior mass to orbit. This is not factoring in the cost reductions of refurbishing the recovered first stage of the F9 rockets.

For the heavy rockets, the Falcon Heavy when built and launched would cost maybe $200M to launch a fresh virgin rocket, whereas the delta 4 heavy comes close to $500M per launch with inferior performance. If SpaceX goes re-useable for each F9H launch, it'd very likely drop to $100M per launch or less.
>>
>>55081271
>>55081332
considering they run about 60% or less of the cost of lockheed martin or boeing, i fail to see a problem

what's wrong with private space flight in the first place?
>>
>>55081804
The billionaire should spend his own money, not the taxpayers'

Enjoy your crony capitalism
>>
>>55081804
How is it "private space flight" if we are all paying for it?
>>
>>55081828
he spent the money on R&D, the contracts are for delivering things to space
>>
>>55081855
>we

This implies that most posters on /g/ have gainful employment and are net contributors to the US tax base. /g/ isn't paying for shit.

>>55081828
He has. Most of SpaceX's R&D has come from private capital, although it has of course been supplemented with NASA funding.
>>
>>55079897
70% chance it blows up on the lauchpad

90% chance it blows up during or after stage separation

who wants to put up some bitcoins
>>
File: 1454077097099.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1454077097099.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
>>55079864
>still believing in the earth is a ball meme
enjoy your special effects tomorrow
>>
>>55081804
>what's wrong with private space flight in the 1st place?

isdisniggaserious.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/2016/01/18/spacex-rocket-landing-failure-orig-vstan.cnn

>about 60% or less of the cost of lockheed martin or boeing

you get what you pay for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNymhcTtSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJD0MMP4nkM

huh huh huh sirry round eye could have had pic related for 1/10000000000th the plice
>>
>>55082269
How does it feel to be a ULA shill?
>>
>>55081855
the rocket is built, owned, and operated by private citizens

are all government contractors public servants now?

>>55082269
>rocket blows up
>THEY SHOULD NEVER MAKE ROCKETS AGAIN
also
>implying any space agency has never had a failure
>>
flight for fligh there track record is abysmal
even with challenger and Columbia they are light years away from NeedAnotherSevenAstronauts
>>
>>55082342
If only these " private citizens" could use there own "private money" instead of "our money"
>>
>>55082562
They are actually using a combination of private capital and public funding. This is similar to how it's always been done with space exploration seeing as NASA isn't in the business of actually building rockets themselves.

Arguably, SpaceX is actually relying far more on private investor capital than traditional aerospace/defense corps.

If only the neckbeard contrarians who shitpost from their mothers' basements would have a solid grasp of how government and societies work they wouldn't buy into the bankrupt libertarian thinking of "I did everything on my own and don't exists on the largess of society's subsidies".
>>
File: 1448331105047.jpg (266 KB, 1023x1009) Image search: [Google]
1448331105047.jpg
266 KB, 1023x1009
>>55082662
Not to mention these guys are very professional and they won't give money to a crazy guy with dumb ideas.
>>
>>55082777
That always makes me smile.
>>
>>55081828
Would you say the same about Marillyn Hewson and Wesley Bush?
>>
Space Coast Florida-fag here.

Will be a few miles away when it goes

Good luck SpaceX!
>>
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: block_2_cargo_expanded_view_1.jpg (152 KB, 1044x783) Image search: [Google]
block_2_cargo_expanded_view_1.jpg
152 KB, 1044x783
I just want to see this big guy fly.

hurry the fuck up nasa
>>
Is there a livestream or something? Can someone link it?
>>
>>55082163
Reality is more like:
~0% chance it blows up on launchpad
~0% chance it blows up during/after stage separation
~10% chance it blows up during max Q
>>
>>55085437
There will be two livestreams:
>Mission Technical Webcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckjP8stlzxI
>Mission Hosted Webcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNmtUEvI5A
>>
>>55081271
>>55081828
>>55081855
SpaceX has other clients besides from NASA, usually telecommunications companies
>>55081332
The facilities SpaceX uses were either built by SpaceX or idle before their arrival
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.