[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are tier one power supplies just a meme or do they really help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: AX1500i_PSU_sideview.png (174 KB, 800x597) Image search: [Google]
AX1500i_PSU_sideview.png
174 KB, 800x597
Are tier one power supplies just a meme or do they really help in overclocking and life span of a system?
>>
>>55079210
/sqt/

Something like that monstrosity is an overkill for everything except for the most crazy overclocked and multi-GPU setups. A good PSU provides reliability and efficiency. Never skimp on it but it's important to choose one which fits your needs.
>>
>>55079210
Tier one psus use the best materials (no shitty chink capacitiors) and have incredibly reliable and efficient designs. You can gamble with a shittier manufacturer and risk needing a new PSU at best and a new system at worst, but it's not the place to skimp out to save $20 or $30
>>
I bought a tier-three PSU, how fucked am I?
>>
A faulty power supply can kill your 2000gil computer.

Always use the best power supply you can get.
>>
>>55080476
What is the probability of a shit tier PSU like the Corsair CX to destroy your PC?
>>
>>55080499
>>
>>55080499
I think you misunderstand the meaning of "shit tier".

No name PSUs without legible information stickers on the side, that sell with premade PCs, those are "shit tier".
>>
>>55080499
CX are not shit. Johnnyguru rated them very highly. Fuck the memes.
>>
>>55080528
Buy a CX is still about $100 cheaper than a AX PSU. So the question is really whether the extra cost is worth it.
>>
>>55080499
>shit tier PSU like the Corsair CX
Hahaha no. Much as we give Corsair and specifically the CX series flak for being bad, it won't fry your shit. If you want to look at a real shit tier PSU, check out
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=379

This is *the* site to go for PSU reviews and he gives the corsair PSUs a positive though somewhat lacking review.
>>
>>55080541
Johnnyguru is also employed by Corsair.
>>
>>55080568
More often than not, no. Also, if you're the kind of person to go in to a brick and mortar store, chances are pretty high that the only units they'll stock in the 400-650 watt range are Corsair units.
>>
>>55080614
>brick and mortar store

I always wondered if those places sold actual mortars...
>>
File: epic_tripper_frog.png (151 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
epic_tripper_frog.png
151 KB, 390x390
>>55080476
>A faulty power supply can kill your 2000gil computer.
>Always use the best power supply you can get.

>>2000gil
>>gil

Thank you.
>>
ordered an evga 750 g2 recently.
What is the chance of it having coil whine?
>>
>>55080499
>>55080528
>>55080541
The CX series has had several designs. The versions reviewed by jonnyguru are to my knowledge, some of the updated platforms.

Find out which version you have and who the OEM is.

I would personally recommend getting another unit. I have had to replace a CX supply, however when it blew it didn't take anything else with it.
>>
>>55081069
>what is the chance
If it's something bad isn't it technically a risk?
>>
>>55080568
>>55080614
I bought an AX 860 because it supposedly has good standby efficiency. Well all over efficiency I suppose.
>>
File: power-supply-omega-S_987021-.jpg (186 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
power-supply-omega-S_987021-.jpg
186 KB, 1200x900
This is my power supply.
>>
>>55081205

Dunno. If it'll have coil whine I'll just return it (I have 14 days to do that) and get my money back.
It's generally a tier one psu but there is a number of users reporting strange isues with the evga 750g2. Maybe it's an overrated pile of shit?
>>
>>55081264
That looks like a damn grenade
>>
>>55081264

That's actually a very decent, classic, small-fan, quiet power supply. It harks back to the good old days of antec psu with small fans like this.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.