[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
philosophy of /g/ consumerism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 2015-01-09-consumerism[1].png (288 KB, 610x330) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-09-consumerism[1].png
288 KB, 610x330
Why do I have a €1500 new PC in my shopping cart right now?? This one I currently have works just fine, everything runs instantly, the two games I occasionally play run at 200+ FPS and the whole PC is better than what 99% of people have.

Why do I/We do this?

Am I compensating for something in my life?

Am I autistic?

Or is it just a hobby and people spend inappropriate amounts of money on their hobbies so its normal?
>>
to fulfill empty life

PS 2500k still stonk
>>
>>55078567

>Am I compensating for something in my life?
Anyone who tells you this without knowing you personally or your life story is an idiot that can be disregarded.

>Am I autistic?
Same with this. This is just another shitty, no-effort meme that doesn't mean anything.

My view of any hobby is this: Does spending time and money on it take away from other parts of your life; do you find it impossible to stop, even if you really want to; and do you never feel satisfied with it no matter how much you do it?

If you can't stop even with though there are significant negative repercussions, then there may be a problem.
>>
>prebuilt

You`re just a low energy cuck.
>>
>>55078567
Money is nothing.
If you don't spend it on shit you want you might as well wipe your ass with it.
>>
>tfw only buy refurb/used things
>fix them myself if they explode
"warranty" is a meme anyway.
>>
It's your brain longing for the rewarding sensation of dopamine. To counter this craving, imagine how you get the pc, but then, after months will be bored by it.
>>
>>55078567
I wish I had this much disposable income.
>>
>>55079723
Maybe you should get a job?
>>
>>55079416
That's half the fun to be honest
>>
Personally, the way I see it I don't go out much, I'm somewhat frugal on my groceries and everyday purchases and I don't own a car. On the other hand I spend 5-10 hours of my day in front of a pc.

At the end of each month I have around 400 spare yuros so I spend it mostly on tech stuff. So yeah to someone else 200€ headphones and 150€ mech keyboards might seem extravagant but I actually use them.

Others save money for cars, while others spend it on gambling. IF you have extra money to spare, it's up to you anon how to spend it.
>>
>>55078567
I know that feel. Trying to justify a HP EliteBook when I never actually use my laptop when I go places. Last time I took a weekend long train trip for fun, the laptop stayed in the bag while I drank bad coffee, talked to astonished tourists and wrote things in a notebook. Still want the new laptop.

I think it's part of modern culture to want things we don't need because we somehow think it's going to make our life better in some undefined way, as if the thing we're missing is the thing we're using being a little worse than the thing we want. Every slight annoyance is then used as justification, where the better thing wouldn't do that to us. The only remedy is to think rationally.
>>
File: 1465924823847.png (512 KB, 543x417) Image search: [Google]
1465924823847.png
512 KB, 543x417
>>55078567
>people spend inappropriate amounts of money on their hobbies so it's normal
>>
>>55078567
You're a hungry ghost. Cures include becoming a monk, seppuku, insanity, brain injury, nerve damage. Any of these will free you of the need to constantly whore yourself out for products you buy in the vain hope they will provide you with identity, meaning, a sense of purpose or happiness.
>>
>>55080544
>hungry ghost

... my Hungarian friend!
>>
>>55078567
Personally, I think a lot about "streamlining" my possessions, to throw away stuff I don't need and only buy the essentials. I don't see anything attractive in owning lots of stuff. I feel actually very unhappy when I notice I bought useless shit. I don't know many people who feel that way though.

Anyway, if you yourself see that you clearly don't need something, but still want to buy it, then it's reason to look at it critically. Are you compensating for something? Probably, but what does it matter. We are all compensating for something, it's a meaningless statement.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.