[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/audiocodec/ thread. Who here /opus/? I usually keep my music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: quality.png (126 KB, 1280x948) Image search: [Google]
quality.png
126 KB, 1280x948
/audiocodec/ thread.

Who here /opus/? I usually keep my music in FLAC on the hard drive and then encode it to 192kbps Opus for phone storage. I've only found Gone Mad Media Player to be able to play them though, does anyone know another player that can handle it?
>>
>>55077531
Sorry op I just started a similar thread >>55077501
I use opus for mobile encoded to 100kbps. Picked the number out of thin air just because I liked it. I use gonemad on the phone and rockbox on a pmp.
>>
>>55077531
wav is better
>>
>>55077725
Wav takes up a fuckload of space, and I don't see why anyone would ever go with uncompressed unless you're storing it on an archive server. FLAC just seems unilaterally better because of tag support and not-even-slow compression. Why do you like it better?
>>
>>55077794

easy to store, rip, modify

and full dynamic range with no decode bullshit
>>
>>55077647
ayy my man

I may want to tone it down on the bitrate but it's really no bigger than an mp3 so I'm probably just going to leave it.

Where do you get your source lossless files? I just use tpb if the artist doesn't sell it in FLAC, can't be assed to buy and rip a CD or vinyl.
>>
>>55077813
You're right on the ripping, but FLAC is easier to store and most platforms don't really have a problem playing it

What do you mean about the range?
>>
Private trackers seem to really dislike formats that don't work on obsolete hardware (AAC, Vorbis) or old software (Opus).

Why does everyone use MP3 V0 instead of something like Vorbis Q6/Q7?

I bet that some people are still using LAME 3.90.3 right now.
>>
>>55077832
I check rutracker first. If it's not on there I'll get it from what.
I only ever buy from bandcamp.
>>
>>55078151
Same except I also buy from artist websites, particularly for soundtracks/tiny indie artists.

Is rutracker private?
>>
>>55077859
He's an autist that doesn't understand what lossless means.
>>
>>55078144
Isn't that obvious? Nobody really cares about a few Megabytes, but what definitely is annoying are exotic formats with zero support. It's no big deal with lossless formats, you just re-encode them to whatever you like, but with lossy formats that fucking sucks. So you are better off using something with pretty much guaranteed support. Also, it's not like you can even clearly decide which format is best beyond a bitrate of around 192 kbps. All of them basically sound perfectly transparent, whether it's opus, vorbis, mp3 or aac.
>>
>>55078144
It's transparent and takes up a trivial amount of disc space. Why change?
>>
>download everything from private trackers in FLAC
>convert to 128kbps vbr opus and tag
Opus master race.
Half the size of a v0 while conserving superb quality, perfect for plebs who have phones without a mSD slot or streaming.

Android and rockboxed PMPs support opus, mp3 should just die.

>>55077531
>does anyone know another player that can handle it?
I'm using Neutron because of crossfeed, can sort by album artist and it's the only player with a parametric EQ.
>>
>>55077531
I don't even bother re-encoding for my phone honestly. my digital library is almost entirely FLAC (with the exception of a few SACD albums in DSD) and I don't want to re-encode my music every time I shuffle albums around on my phone so I just drag them straight over
>>
>>55078303
You can tell the difference at lower bitrates though, meaning a 96kbps opus sounds as good as a 192kbps mp3, meaning that one sounds just as good for barely more than half the drive space. That's why I use it.

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

No audiophile bullshit here, strictly scientific double blind.
>>
>>55078532
>meaning a 96kbps opus sounds as good as a 192kbps mp3
i'd say it sounds the same as a 320 cbr mp3
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.