[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I use veracrypt? How many of you use it? How does it work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.png
42 KB, 512x512
How do I use veracrypt? How many of you use it? How does it work? Is there other crypts like this software better than truecrypt? On Windows 10, truecrypt is incompatible version and I have it installed but some features that it says it's "buggy"
>>
Truecrypt is outdated. Veracrypt is just like truecrypt but it's more secure.
>>
>>55075691
>>55075922
Wew lad, the N (S) A shills are active today.
>>
Veracrypt is basically Truecrypt continued.

Works almost identically to Truecrypt, and even the GUI is extremely similar.
>>
>>55075691
>needing another application to decrypt your drive
>not just using bitlocker
>>
>>55076015
BitLocker, LUKs, and whatever encryption scheme Mac OS uses are not OS-portable.

If you encrypt your data using one of those schemes, and need to bring that data over to another machine with another OS, you're out of luck. Same if you dual-boot and want to share data.

At least with True/VeraCrypt you could, in theory, encrypt an ExFAT volume which could be mounted everywhere.

But if you can just use your OS's native encryption scheme, you should prefer that over VeraCrypt.
>>
>>55076096
Oh well I don't think I'm ever going to need to use my USB outside of any windows computers so I think I'm good in that regard.
>>
I used to use VC on Windows, to encrypt my system and data partitions. Now, under linux I'm just using LUKS setup, it's much handier to use native solution. But I recommend it for everyone who cannot use LUKS (and for me bitlocker is shit in any kind of usage because of it's closed-sourceness)
>>
Brief explanation about truecrypt was existing and some cases were strong for his favor:
- media coverage about FBI failing to decrypt data
- partial audit showing, that truecrypt was pretty strong, except for evil maid attack (boot infection) AND excerpting fresh from RAM
- however quarter ago there was some article claiming that truecrypt was prone to more exploits (forgot the sauce)

Veracrypt intends to be fork of truecrypt and is just being developed. However, no audit was done, hence no confirm whether is actually SAFE.

>How many of you use it?
I gave it a try and part of storage pool is being kept encrypted, outside is seen as unformtted, non-active partition.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.