[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you learn programming /g/? State the language then tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: The C Programming Language.png (107 KB, 792x1023) Image search: [Google]
The C Programming Language.png
107 KB, 792x1023
How did you learn programming /g/? State the language then tell us how you learned said language.

Language: C
How I learned: The C Programming Language 2nd Edition
>>
C++
fucking google
>>
Scheme
SICP

I actually get really irritated when I have to read something with curly braces and semicolons. It overloads my brain
>>
Python, no question.
I used google and youtube videos.

I started out in web dev but programming makes it much better.
>>
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
muh first tutorial
>>
>>55074670
Python

Was trying to write some bot. I read The official python tutorial on the python homepage, I also used other websites and YouTube videos, but it took me months to really understand what was going on. I guess I suck at self learning.

My second language that I actually learnt in depth was java, at college. I had some difficulties with the more advanced topics at first, but after 2 years of being forced to use Java all the time, I consider myself pretty good at it now. I still prefer python for small projects though.

I'm not sure if I'm really cut out for programming. But I still have some time before I have to decide what job I want to get
>>
>>55074670
By watching videos and getting experience from various sources around the internet
>>
>>55074670
Python (I've had the first edition of the following books):
https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Python-5th-Mark-Lutz/dp/1449355730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465912085&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+python
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Python-Mark-Lutz/dp/0596158106/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465912106&sr=8-1&keywords=programming+python
>>
>Pascal
>Mainly just beating it in my head as the beginner language after 9th grade.
>>
Python in early high school as a part of some national coding program for school kids. Then VB6 for software dev class. After that, Java, VB.net, sql queries, php, JavaScript, html and css at TAFE. On the side I did CPP because it didn't seem like a meme language and along the way I have learned a bunch of scripting. I currently work in managed services and python, powershell, bash and bat are the most useful things in my toolbox. Only code I have sold revolved around VB.Net, small project scored me $2000. Although most of it was learned in school, study is for queers. Google and some actual projects is the way to go.
>>
Some people say you should start with C, it's hard but pure and teaches you the foundation for everything

Some people say Java because it's really useful for many things

Some people say Python because it's easier to get going with starting out

so which one should you pick as your first language?
>>
>>55075780
Doesn't matter. They each highlight an aspect of programming languages. Learn them all
>>
>>55074670
> reading books
> programming
> hacking
> low level things
>>
PHP
Php.net
>>
>>55074752
Autism
>>
File: p19cpcvtrh7sm1hqqjas172v11k73.jpg (13 KB, 590x290) Image search: [Google]
p19cpcvtrh7sm1hqqjas172v11k73.jpg
13 KB, 590x290
>>55075808
C and Assembly of course
>>
>>55074670
I started with C in a freshman engineering (robotics) course at college. It came naturally to me. The course didn't go into too much depth but when I got to the systems programming courses I never paid attention because I somehow knew it all. I say this because I'm not sure what (or how) I learned between those two courses because I didn't use C in that time period. My experience is why I suggest learning C; at first it might seem sort of arcane or difficult (like it was for most of the students in that robotics course), but much like riding a bike it becomes second nature and is an indispensable tool.
>>
>>55075780

C is the best to start out with, but its very daunting for beginners, well for some beginners, everyone is different, you can't compare two people learning the same thing.

for an easier approach, though in my opinion and alot of others is python. instead of focusing on learning other concepts that may put you off at first mem management, pointers, etc. just learn how to actually code. learn what it takes to write something, developing the logic of programming, writing in python is like writing in pseudocode, soon as you start understanding problem solving in programming, then you should focus on C.

but really, you should go into programming with purpose. why do you want to learn? OS/LInux dev and other shit you need to access memory with - C. Java/C# for employment. PHP/JS for webdev, etc..
>>
>>55076560
should i go by a book or an online course/videos?

i followed the cs50 from harvard last year, but i got kinda bored after a few lessons
>>
I originally learnt programming from AP Computer Science in high school, which uses Java.

A few years later, I too read The C Programming Language, and feel most comfortable when using C and sh.
>>
i really want to start experimenting/building android apps

should i still start with c and then progress into java? it feels like walking over the river to get water
>>
>>55075865
C if you want, but C++ and Assembly makes you a God...
>>
>>55077557
OOP sucks, stay 1337
>>
6502 assembly.
The homebrew and ROM hacking communities has a large variety of tutorials. I'll be making NES games soon. Learning assembly will be very benefiting when I get into C or any other language.
>>
>>55077627
yeah i agree that if you're interested in low level, 6502 is the best

there aren't a lot of opcodes and they're all simple
>>
I jumped into a class that assumed I knew C already, and googled like mad
At least I know all of the stuff about * and & and how to use them with functions
>>
>>55077581
OOP sucks... ok... most of the shit that moves the world are made in OOP... please give examples of how 1337 or brainfuck o wathever the fuck you want does something usefull besides of making you a fucking autist...
>>
>>55077802
> KISS
OOP is chaos
>>
haskell
100,000 hours of reading wikipedia and various papers
+
learn you a haskell for great good
+
https://github.com/bitemyapp/learnhaskell
>>
>>55077986
as an aside, ive yet to actually learn an OO language.
im dreading the day i have to actually use one.
>>
>>55077986
How it feel when you destroy your life?
>>
>>55074670
I'm an avid batch script programmer like real old school programmers.

Learned on Altavista
>>
>>55077443

try a book first, since books summarize all basics, then just write code, even if you dont feel as confident, google google google. read people's code, try to take a project and understand it then recreate something similar.
>>
>>55074670
/g/enyooine question, what job can a see pro grammar get these days?
>>
File: facilitymanger.gif (64 KB, 472x492) Image search: [Google]
facilitymanger.gif
64 KB, 472x492
>>55078820
facility manager
>>
>>55074670
I had initially taken a java class but was quickly lost because it just drops all these abstractions on you without explaining what they were abstracting away. It really threw me off and nobody else seemed to care, they just ate up the professor's shit teaching and passed while I had to withdraw.

I stopped bothering and instead learned programming on my own with K&R was so much nicer.
Now I only write idiomatic C.
>>
File: 1465490429109.jpg (159 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
1465490429109.jpg
159 KB, 2880x1800
Hey guys! I'm "Learning Python the Hardway" and my assignment is to look at some other peoples code and see how it works... so that being said, what are y'all working on right now (preferably in python)
>>
File: Gorillas.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Gorillas.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
>>55074670

QBasic

I found "Gorillas.bas" so damn intriguing.
So I looked at the source, tried to undersatnd it.

...fast forward 7 years...

Learning Java at university.
Boring as hell.

Almost quiting, only get through most lessons because nice buddy keep pulling throuhg and motivating me.

After countless hours I finally get it into my thick skull, nevertheless.

Learning C (also at University).
Working myself through K&R, it's a nice book but University courses are shit. Also I just don't like pointers, sorry.

...fast forward 7 years...

SQL
Get internship about databases, programming stuff.
Some month after the internship I actually get a job (still being student) wich is mostly about databases.

Wow, I can actually make stuff that people pay for?
Sweet baby Jesus, this is cool!

...fast foreward 5 years...

Finally decide to learn a new language JUST FOR FUN. Without second thoughts.

Choosing between Python and Ruby, but the Ruby philosophy is just cooler and also /g/ hates Ruby, which is a good sign.

So I work myself through countless tutorials and holy fuck - programming is fun again. After all this years it really makes me happy to create funny, unnecessary little programms.

Next step will probably be - yikes! - JavaScript + JQuery.

I don't plan to get big into WebDev, but I just think any Develloper should know some basics about the interwebs.

Future projects?

There are many interesting things out there: Haskell, Python, Clojure, Erlang, Elixir..

But let's see, this year I'm gonna learn JS, who knows what's next?
>>
>>55079532
Python is a shit-tier scripting language and Zed Shaw is a hack.

This is no way to write a programming book.
Learn literally anything else, just don't read a Zed Shaw book.
>>
>>55079597
Suggestions? All I really want to do is work towards being a pentester. It was my understanding that a certain amount of scripting knowledge was required for that.
>>
>>55079597
Typical web dev

KYS
>>
>>55079657
How much Python have you learned so far? Looking at other people's python projects is going to be pretty confusing unless they're just short scripts.
>>
>>55079657

If you want to get into PenTesting Python is mandatory.

There are many good books about that topic, just lookup "python + pentesting" at amazon.

You could consider Ruby (because of the Metasploit framework) or Perl (because it's the "old school hacking language") but Python is probably your best bet here.

But after Python you should definately get into C, also learn system architecture of Win for exploits, overflows and so on.

After that, some basics about Computer forensics and intrusion detection systems will come in handy..
>>
>C
K&R, uni and wikibooks

>Perl
Camel Book, Perl Monks and the documentation.

The two language that you need to know. Only.
>>
>>55079657
Pentesters are basically paid script kiddies, at least study CS with focus on infosec.
>>
>>55079867

This is the game plan. Though I am not looking forward to getting buttfucked by all the math involved.
>>
Learned Python, this helped learn Java then learnt C++ and R
>>
>>55079912

Math is the best part.
Really brings your brains to the next level.

Also if you plan to get into Crypto stuff you need to be good at math.
>>
>>55077802
APL
Discovering new data encryption algorithms
>>
C ; book: A book on C and the holy bible for reference.

JAVA; book: A used toiletpaper for language and API for reference

PYTHON; book: Documentation

Learning C++ for gaymes
>>
They had BASIC tutorials on school. The year was 1987.
2nd language: Visual Basic 2005. self learning.
Currently trying to learn both Java and Python by myself. Self learning is Very difficult.
>>
File: stfumakiposters.png (2 MB, 1917x1077) Image search: [Google]
stfumakiposters.png
2 MB, 1917x1077
Learn afew to a basic level making the next one easier to learn.

C++ first but it was hard so I dropped it
Python was more simple to read and use to learn(did alot of my learning here)
Java but it was so messy to express something so I passed on it for C++ again
C++ again way easier now for basics made afew useful programs.

Python again for refresh of basics
Java again for adv topics like OOP and classes
C# a better ver. of Java like using it better for OOP
C++ pretty much comfy now but still need work on adv topics

C currently going back to the basics again and will spear head C++ one last time and will probably switch on and off from C to C++
>>
Basic - basic manual
>>
APL - Math Class
>>
>>55080717
How old are you lmao
>>
>>55083343
45 probably.
>>
>>55083343
Hi.

I'm 41.

Regards,
lmao.
>>
>>55074670
All my beginning courses in programming were in Java so I learned that first. Just listened to the teacher in class and winged it basically.
Then I took a course that used x86 ASM heavily, although it wasn't taught and we were expected to learn it on our own so I did. Teacher just gave us manuals from 30 years ago so I used that along with asking him a lot of questions which he seemed to enjoy. Not a lot of people passed that class.
Now I'm teaching myself C over summer with the book C Programming: A Modern Approach.
Then I'll probably learn python.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.