[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tiling Window Managers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: i3-in-action.png (762 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
i3-in-action.png
762 KB, 1919x1079
Linux half-noob here.
Finally decided to ascend after having used elementary's default whatever... What is your advice on some fast & convenient tiling window managers, that don't look like shit? I've heard of i3 and wtftw, are they any good? Also, what is the difference between a window manager and a desktop manager like GNOME? For example, do I keep gnome if I install i3?
>>
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>55073321
what dont is that anon? looks lovely
>>
>>55073955
i mean font
>>
I suggest you try out i3, awesome, and bspwm. I3 and bspwm are the easiest to learn, awesome is probably the most configurable.
>>
>>55073321
They're all pretty much the same.

Once you learn a tiling window manager, you probably won't want to go back to traditional DEs.

I'm currently using DWM, which is a bit of a pain in the ass unless you like doing things the suckless way.
>>
>>55073321
I like awesome wm, it's a little more harder to configure than i3 but it does everything I need.
>>
try awesome or dwm if you know C
>>
>>55073321
I've never tried any other than i3 and I see no reason to, it does everything I want.

To answer your other questions, a window manager is what manages your graphical windows. A desktop environment includes a window manager (for example xfce uses xfwm), but they also include a whole bunch of other graphical applications like settings menus, text editor, search bar, a virtual desktop (where you can place shortcut icons and stuff), a file manager, maybe a dock, etc. etc. The purpose is so that all your graphical applications have a consistent look and feel.

In my opinion the benefit of only using a window manager is that you can cherrypick the application you want for each purpose. Chances are you won't use most of the ones that are included with the DE anyway, so it's unnecessary bloat. I have to put a bit of extra effort to make the look and feel consistent across programs, but it's worth it because it looks the way I want it to look and I can change it however I like.
>>
>>55073321
i3, there is an detailed manual, and a youtube series that gets you up and running, honestly, i3 all the way.

http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
>>
>>55073321
>half-noob
>tiling
Just try manjaro-i3, simply the easiest way!
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-i3-16-06-rc-stable/537
>>
>>55077856
So cute! :^)
>>
>>55073321
>using the rootkit formally know as X.org
>>
>>55076329
>harder to configure than i3
Maybe you're just retarded?
>>
>>55077856
I would be tempted to try this out. How well supported is manjaro compared to Debian? for genelal-purposes programs. Is most of it supported? Does manjaro use "apt-get" or some other pack.manager?
>>
>>55073321
i3

Went once, never went back. Most intuitive tiling WM.

Print out the keyboard shortcut sheet and leave it near your computer always within eyesight
>>
>>55077918
Wayland is a trap with systemd as a forced dependency. Did you think we are stupid?
Fuck off Poettering,
>>
>>55078056
>systemd as dependence
Are you retarded? The only thing that depends on wayland and Systemd is Gnome.
Sway, for example, can perfectly run without logind.
The fuck, I can understand that you want to be a fucking luddite, but don't spread lies.
>>
File: laughing.png (353 KB, 613x495) Image search: [Google]
laughing.png
353 KB, 613x495
>>55078030
>unable to remember keyboard shortcuts
>>
I'm considering installing a clean Debian with i3 WM. Should I install GNOME with Debian to get pretty menus? Also, if not debian, then what?
>>
>>55076329
This.
>>
I3, it's the easiest to configure, good docs, also popular and available in all repos.
>>
File: 1444962850009.png (40 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
1444962850009.png
40 KB, 362x362
>>55073321
I used i3 but just tried gnome and couldn't leave because it was too comfy.
>>
>>55078371
So what are the advantages of awesome over i3?
>>
>>55078426
It's awesome
>>
>>55077880
what compositor you using?
>>
>>55078360
Keep gnome or some backup WM. Depends how comfortable you are with command line.

For whatever retarded reason my WiFi stopped working on i3 and I couldn't remember the program name for the nice gui to fix it. So I logged into gnome, fixed it, went back to i3.
>>
>>55078506
nm-applet :)
And thanks, I'm gonna install a backup WM. Gnome looks bad I think, though. I might go with KDE. Thoughts?
>>
File: czmHEeF.png (305 KB, 5760x1080) Image search: [Google]
czmHEeF.png
305 KB, 5760x1080
>>55076951
>>55073321
dwm is top
>>
>>55073513
First reply best reply. RTFM OP. Or ask you dumb questions in the dumb question general.
>>
>>55073321
X M O N A D
>>
>>55073321
>that code
>vomit.jpg
>>
>>55075469
>awesome is probably the most configurable.
make that xmonad
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.