[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is binary just 1s and 0s? Why not introduce some new numbers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9
File: fragezeichen yui.png (94 KB, 396x395) Image search: [Google]
fragezeichen yui.png
94 KB, 396x395
Why is binary just 1s and 0s?

Why not introduce some new numbers so that you can represent more information more compactly? if 8 in binary is "1000," then why don't we just use fucking 8 instead of four digits to represent it? That's four times less bloated.
>>
>>55072825
>Why is binary just 1s and 0s?
Because it is BI-nary

>Why not introduce some new numbers so that you can represent more information more compactly? if 8 in binary is "1000," then why don't we just use fucking 8 instead of four digits to represent it? That's four times less bloated.
You don't REPRESENT 8 as 1000, you represent it as 8 or "eight" or whatever.
>>
because your dad used to touch you at night
>>
>>55072825
>binary
>bi

>Why Binary
Fundamentally less glitches. It's either High or Low, no mid level, no chance of misread
>>
Binary is just how the computer reads everything. In an assembly language like x86, you'll be mostly using hexadecimal.
>>
>>55072834
Well why not tri-nary or tetra-nary? Judging by my calculations both of those would be much more efficient than binary.

I think this is yet another case of the "worse is better" approach, where programmers just stick with a hastily-assembled hack that has since become gospel out of habit
>>
because it binary. there is other coding methods exept of binary. but binary is 0 1. all other methods of coding are integrations of this one basic.
>>
>>55072858
How do you want to represent trinary using transistors?
>>
>>55072834
1kb = 1,000 bytes
:^)
>>
>>55072858
>Well why not tri-nary or tetra-nary?
Because it's less prone for errors. High or low, rising or falling, no in-between state that could be interpreted as either.

>Judging by my calculations both of those would be much more efficient than binary.
Nothing is more efficient than flicking power on or off.
>>
>>55072862
We're talking about computers here, not your stupid breadboard project. Try to keep up
>>
>>55072825
Typical dumb animeposter.

KYS DESU SENPAI
>>
>>55072874
How do you want to build a trinary computer?
>>
>>55072859
Back to /v/ and into my filter list you go.
>>
>>55072868
1 - off
2 - halfway between on and off
3 - fully on

where the resolution increases with every number you add to the scheme

you can be much more precise about state this way and save a whole lot of headache
>>
>>55072874
OP I don't want you to embarrass yourself any further because you posted a cute anime girl. Please stop posting or go to /sqt/
>>
>>55072868
Why did it take so many answers for someone to get it right?

@OP - There have been decimal as well as ternary computers. Wikipedia has more information on them. Binary is just easier to work with.
>>
>>55072882
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer
Like those ruskys
>>
>>55072885
>>55072891
Z-state exists retards
>>
>>55072885
>2 - halfway between on and off
Prone to errors. Slightly less than half way may be counted as low when it is supposed to be mid, slightly higher can be interpreted as high when it's meant to be mid.

Also, it requires more power to drive voltage at higher levels.

>where the resolution increases with every number you add to the scheme
And makes the system more complex, see >>55072891

>you can be much more precise about state this way and save a whole lot of headache
But spend more power
>>
>>55072890
>Binary is just easier to work with.
Are we scientists or pajeets?
what's "easy" is not always what's best.

It actually makes a lot of sense now: the same people who defend using four digits to represent the number 8 are probably the same ones who run everything on top of ENTERPRISE JVM STACKS
>>
Why would anyone want to learn a worthless and outdated language like assembly anyways.
>>
>>55072911
(You) will not bait me.

This question has been answered. Reporting the thread so mods can lock it. Bye!
>>
>>55072874
It's all built on the same basic principles.
>>
>>55072825
It's because of the hardware requirements, binary can be implemented with on and off, to represent base 10 you would have to have 10 different voltages representing each number, then come up with a way to add together, subtract, multiply, divide and other operations mathematically and come up with an energy and space efficient implementation in silicon, in addition you would have to make sure voltages were very stable in order to not drift between numbers,

binary is simple, zero volts and a positive voltage, transistors and MOSFETs easily control this, easy peasy, magnetic spins in hard drives north and south, binary is the only practical base for computing, and analogue circuits are a hell of a lot more complex
>>
>>55072911
>what's "easy" is not always what's best.
But a great deal of the time it is.
>>
>>55072955
We can do 10 digit electronic logic. In fact, we design circuits that will calculate any level of precision we want. The reason why we don't is because binary logic is cheapest form of logic to implement for most cases of computing.
>>
>>55072825
A long time ago there was actually an idea for another way someone had but I'm very fuzzy on the details. It was 8 different numbers, 1 through 4 and 1 through 4 to the right, and it would know which ones were "to the right" and which aren't. I think there was a computerphile video that mentioned it on YouTube.
>>
>>55072981
>We can do 10 digit electronic logic. In fact, we design circuits that will calculate any level of precision we want. The reason why we don't is because binary logic is cheapest form of logic to implement for most cases of computing.
That's exactly what he wrote, why are you just restating his post?
>>
>>55072825

Well, as you know octal or hexadecimal systems are also in use.

Theoretically you could even use unary system:

But this will need too much storage.

So binary is usefull because you have a smallest amount of symbols (2) while also numbers don't get as big as in unary system.

Also you can easily change binary to hexadecimal, if you want to.

So the answer is: It's just practical, mathematically and engineering wise..
>>
>>55072994
https://youtu.be/thrx3SBEpL8
Found it
>>
>>55072997
I like to contribute by making ideas as simple as needed.
>>
File: troll_line.jpg (50 KB, 508x500) Image search: [Google]
troll_line.jpg
50 KB, 508x500
>>
>>55072994
>>55073015
He starts talking about it at roughly 6 minutes in, also I got that wrong, it's 0-4.
>>
>>55072825
See how your light switch can be either "on" or "off"? Aka "1" or "0"? Try to tell it "8" and come back to me with your results.
>>
>>55073261
You could represent 8 values through different voltages just as 1 and 0 are represented through different voltages. This is not as good as an explanation as you think it is. Funny how ignorance works, isn't it?
>>
>>55072859
What a lovely post, so cute little one!
>>
>>55073282
and he was so smug about it too
>>
>>55073261
A light dimmer works at different voltage levels, just as you would interpret different voltages as different values.

>>55073282
Many binary systems uses rising or falling flank to represent 1 and 0 though, the PCI bus does this for example.
>>
>>55073282
I wasn't talking about voltages, I was talking about a light switch. Can your light switch express different voltages?
>>
File: dimmer.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dimmer.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>55073342
Yes
>>
The solution you are proposing is the same as saying "everyone should use imperial system".
>>
>>55073382
That's not a light switch, that's a dimmer. Don't be dumb.

How do you propose logic gates work with retard voltage fluctuations or whatever you're trying to propose here?
>>
Because error correction you dumb 12 year old

Look up why digital signals exist and why they're great.
>>
File: 1348066776564.jpg (29 KB, 597x501) Image search: [Google]
1348066776564.jpg
29 KB, 597x501
>>55072925

>Reporting the thread so mods can lock it. Bye!

Where the fuck do you think you are you little fairy faggot?
>>
>>55073342
Yes. Every time the contacts come together, the surface area contact is slightly different (a small particle of dust, corrosion, rust maybe) causing a very tiny voltage difference between different switchings.

Retard.
>>
>>55073470
this
>>
>>55073480
And that lets you express "8" via the light switch and a bulb?
>>
>>55073429
How do you think analog to digital converters work you fucking imbecile?
>>
>>55073507
Will an analog to digital converter let you express "8" via the light switch and a bulb?
>>
>>55073470
It literally took 30 posts for /g/, of all people to get the right answer

Jesus H fucking christ. There is no blasphemous swear word harsh enough for this shit. This is like asking in /v/ why consoles have controllers and 30 posts in someone goes 'So you can sit on the fucking sofa'

SSDs do actually store binary information under a range of voltages, for example, SLC uses a single binary value per cell- any voltage stored below 0.5 is 0, any voltage above 0.5 is a 1.
MLC uses two, voltages between 0 and 0.25 are 00, 0.25 to 0.5 is 01, 0.5 to 0.75 is 10 and 0.75 to 1 is 11.
TLC is even more stratification.
The thing is when you read the voltage it comes with an error. If the reading is usually off by 0.2, then MLC will give you incorrect readings half the time. For example, you throw a voltage of 0.125 into a cell, expecting 0.125 when you then read it, but an error of +0.2 causes a reading of 0.325, so you would have stored 00 but read 01, which is ERROR

>>55073491
Yes, if you can control particles of dust, bits of rust and corrosion. Point is that the voltage is not always exactly 1.
You see, if enough dust was present, the amperage would be reduced to ~80%, allowing you to send an '8'. Or whatever.
>>
>>55072825
Worst bait ever.
>>
>>55072825
The 8 you just wrote takes eight binary digits to represent.
>>
>>55073548
What's bait is that the very first post wasn't
ERROR CORRECTION

IT'S FUCKING ERROR CORRECTION, /g/!

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT LIGHTBULBS

IT'S ABOUT ERROR FUCKING CORRECTION YOU DUMB SHITS
>>
>>55073540
I was answering his question

>How do you propose logic gates work with retard voltage fluctuations or whatever you're trying to propose here?
>>
>>55072825
I know right! why even use numbers to reprent letters or images for buttons. It's so dumb
>>
>>55072825
I was born a 0, but I sexually identify as a 2.
Don't tell me there's no such thing as a 2, you fucking shitlord! You need to check your binary priviledge!
>>
actually OP, digital networks (wired or wireless) use a bunch of different techniques to transfer information, not always binary. 10 can be represented by 0, 11 by 1, 01 by 2 and 00 by 3 (for example). these are called symbols. they can be much larger.

of course, they all transfer binary information at the lowest level (because data can only be stored as 1 or 0 in memory, as transistors are either on or off), but while transmitting there are a bunch of techniques to make transfer more efficient.

check out this video if you are interested in "digital modulation", one technique is called "QPSK modulation" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
>>
>>55072874
what the actual fuck, computer isnt just a box what you plug in to the wall and your monitor
>>
>>55073939
It just werks :^)
>>
>>55072858
1 - on
0 - off

How do you expect the computer to recognize something beyond 2
>>
>>55072825
Not to mention the integer 1 is a phallic patriarchal symbol of opression.

Binary need to be updated to 0s and 2s instead.
>>
IT'S VOLTAGES AND SIGNALS NOT LITERALLY NUMBERS YOU DUMB SHITS

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>55074011
>1 - on
>0 - off
wrong
>>
>>55072825
It's simple. Even most autists understand a light is either on or off, never both (which would be quantum computing)
>>
>>55074038
Maybe an explanation would tell me why I'm wrong you fucking queer
>>
>>55074011
topkek full retard
btfo back to grade school mathclass bigboi
>>
>>55074054
It's high voltage and low voltage.
>>
Because logic becomes impossible to do when we have different charge levels besides on or off.
>>
>>55074072
No it doesn't
Binary logic becomes impossible without binary.

You're saying that wheel drive is impossible without 4 wheels. No, just 4 wheel drive.
>>
>>55074066
autism
>>
>>55072825
Because computers deep down only store things by having something be on or off. That has never changed. Think of the memory as thousands of circuits and each can be on or off. Then like Legos you build up from there.
>>
>>55074188
It's important for OPs question. If we were working with on and off states more than two states would be impossible. Since we're working with different voltages we can theoretically have infinite states, but it would make it really fucking complicated, so we don't.
>>
File: 1432416282672.gif (33 KB, 250x174) Image search: [Google]
1432416282672.gif
33 KB, 250x174
>This thread
I havent seen this level of retardedness in a thread in a while

Truly worthy of /g/

Bravo
>>
God I hope this is bait. Mother fuckers never heard of ASC and ASCII
>>
>>55075115
*And by the way for all of you who actually have no idea. Computers run on vibrations. 1's are the peaks and 0's are the valleys. Intel's ASC is when they stored sequences of binary into digits and when they had the brilliant idea not just just use digits and instead use characters of all sorts they introduced ASCII.
>>
>>55072825
Because it works nicely for arithmetic AND logic. It's easier to correct errors in binary. It's easier to PREVENT errors in binary, by much simpler and reliable schemes. Because, theoretically, base e has the most information density, 2 and 3 are the closest numbers to e. Besides, who said we don't? Technically, they are used in MLC memory or in QAM because one state represents multiple bits.
>>
File: 1455233281774.jpg (105 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
1455233281774.jpg
105 KB, 739x742
>>55075139
Easier:
1 - there's a signal
0 - there's no signal
Also /thread
>>
>>55072864
>>55073956
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55075348
>Having no idea why
>>
>>55073282
Have you ever worked with analog signals to understand how error prone that is?
>>
File: laughing-girls.jpg (36 KB, 250x225) Image search: [Google]
laughing-girls.jpg
36 KB, 250x225
>>55072874
>implying computers doesn't use transistors
>>
On
Off
>>
File: sch.gif (15 KB, 957x648) Image search: [Google]
sch.gif
15 KB, 957x648
>>55072825
>he doesn't do all his computing with analog
>he restricts himself to a limited set of values
>he doesn't use an infinite range of values
>he doesn't use op amps
>he doesn't create custom circuits for every problem
>>
>>55072825
Because a transistor can either let an electric signal through, or block it (1 or 0). Really it isnt blocking, just switches from high to low voltage. Look into quantum computing if you want more, it uses qubits, which are electron or photon superpositions, and a new set of logic gates which act based on probabilities.
>>
Nice bait OP, I see you lured in some fish
>>
>>55072858
Because speed an accuracy are the most important thing in computing. Most systems read a one as anything 3.5 v or above and a 0 as below 1.5v. The variance is due to noise a 0 is rarely 0v and a 1 is rarely 5v. So if you had 8 levels. Say 1v,2v...7v,8v firstly you would get a lot of errors due to noise and secondly the hardware required to read 8 different voltage levels would be bulkier and slower. there have been a few ternary systems built (-5v, 0v ,5v ), but they turned out to be less efficient and cost effective to produce.
>>
>>55076465
This, they experimented with Ternary for a while in the 60s, mostly Russian researchers. They found it was more prone to errors due to signal noise. With today's exacting voltages it might be possible to build an effective Ternary system with little to no errors to noise, but an entire ecosystem of programming languages, Ternary hardware, and operating systems would need to be developed. It would be like starting over at the 70s for little effective total gain.
>>
>>55072825

because of transistors basically

yes, a different base would carry more data per bit, and if possible it would be an advantage
>>
>>55072885
At its atomic level a switch is either on or off, there is no halfway point. You can't change this system, it's how logic works. Programming languages are the intermediary between this level of logic and human understanding.

Didn't you listen on day 1 of your computing course?
>>
How the fuck did so many of you fall for this bait?
>>
>>55072825
kys
>>
Serious amount of work needs to go into the OS level, hardware, processors and everything would need to be developed from scratch.

rebrn.com/re/til-there-have-been-computers-programmed-in-ternary-instead-of-t-2612160/
>>
Weaponised bait, OP. I am very impressed
>>
File: img43.gif (10 KB, 587x428) Image search: [Google]
img43.gif
10 KB, 587x428
>>55076115
transistors are digital, summerfriend.

In ASICs they've been optimized to have as sharp a transition zone as possible, but it's just for speed and simplicity's sake that we deal with the stable peripheral areas.
>>
>>55077315
> aren't digital
>>
>>55072825

Computers should use hex instead of 1's and 0's now. We have electrical instruments sensitive enough that we could have 16 different detectable voltage levels.
>>
>>55072825
> I have a distinct misunderstanding of how logic gates work
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.