[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
muh cheep router
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: tp link.jpg (125 KB, 1112x1500) Image search: [Google]
tp link.jpg
125 KB, 1112x1500
Am I a Plebian or a Patrician for thinking that this 20 dollar router is completely adequate and all that I really need? (in the US/using comcast, so not going anywhere near the 300mbps cap).

At my University the fastest download speed for was 1 mb a second. At my home its 2mb.
>>
If you don't need to do any heavy lifting over your network or access it from a great distance then yeah, it's perfectly fine.

If you ever want a NAS or to stream UHD to your car then you're going to have a bad time.
>>
>>55072789
Seeing as I'm not sure what those are yeah I guess I'm fine, as long as I can game without lag and it handles things like planetside2 or warframe fine so yeah!
>>
hey, i have this. it works from 3 walls behind in my house at good speed.
>>
>>55072761
i threatened my ISP to leave them and they gave me a new router for free.
>>
>>55072761
tplink is garbage. buy asus or buffalo or at least netgear
>>
>>55072761
Pretty sure these have 100Mbit/s port so the 300Mbps is a complete lie.
>>
>>55073122
>asus bootloader
Keklmao
>>
File: 1430031761421.jpg (28 KB, 665x470) Image search: [Google]
1430031761421.jpg
28 KB, 665x470
>>55072761
I actually recommend this thing as a dirtcheap router to people who obviously barely even have need for any kind of router. The wireless range is actually not bad for something this cheap. However it will really only fulfill your most basic needs, if you plan on actually using your network for something you should get something with gigabit ports.

>>55073122
>tplink is garbage.
>recommending netgear instead
You're full of shit aren't you?
>>
>>55073537
>using your network for something
Like what?
>>
>>55072761
I have the same router. It's been solid for a few months. I flashed ddwrt. It doesn't have the best WiFi range, but you can get a 2nd and turn it into a repeater. It's a great buy, good job
>>
>>55072789
Or if you want greater control over your network your SOL
>>
>>55072789
Can't you just get a rpi for that though and still be under 100?
>>
>>55073173
Aren't the ports(the ones where you connect the LAN cable) gigabit, while the wifi is 300 mbps
>>
>>55073989
Streaming content, handling a NAS, servers with VNC?
I don't know, whatever the fuck you want to do with a network.
>>
>>55075200
>streaming content/NAS
This is a file size dependent
>VNC
What? VNC uses that much?
>>
>>55075347
A shitty antenna will always hinder your transfer speeds anon.
>>
>>55073173
>>55075020
I always wondered about this.
Even if the WAN and wired ethernet is limited to 100 mbps, what happens if you move a file from one laptop to another via WiFi? Will you get the 300 mbps? The slow-ish wired ports don't come into play.
>>
File: Capture.png (112 KB, 1266x939) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
112 KB, 1266x939
>>55072761
I have one of those feeding a laptop and phone over wireless and a desktop over cat5

wireless is longer range than my previous netgear but that had no external antenna and wireless gets up to ~5mbps real speed (laptop wireless card is shit)

over lan it shows it's cheap.

with aggressive torrent settings, it will either choke dns and disrupt normal internet navigation or simply drop all connections for ~30 seconds until it fixes itself. speed is irrelevant, it happens bots with 1mbps and with 50mbps download and so it seems it has a maximum number of connections it can negotiate.

for torrent I've fixed it by limiting the number of halfopen connections.

but I can also trigger it with chan browsing by opening something like a wsg thread > gallery then scrolling fast webms. browser/script doesnt seem to close or stop download even when I navigated past an element. It is rare but incredibly annoying when it happens.

when gaming, vnc or browsing outside of 4chan I've never had any issues. good buy for the price.
>>
>>55073537
Not the anon you're responding to, but, my internet randomly drops because of supposed DoS attacks (according to the router logs). I'm using a Netgear router. Is it really just the router's fault?

I'm starting to believe you since I had a Netgear router before this, but it kept on dropping the connection so much that I had to buy a new one.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.