[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: confused_0.jpg (33 KB, 296x418) Image search: [Google]
confused_0.jpg
33 KB, 296x418
If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please read the sticky before posting

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread

Previous thread
>>55064342
>>
Okay what is RAID? Isn't it like pairing separate ssd's to create a big storage space
>>
Is it possible to protect network hardware against power surge caused by a lightning strike?
>>
>>55072569
Just read up on it, there's many configurations in which you can arrange disks, for different purposes.
>>
I'm writing a paper on instant messaging, my mentor likes sources of information to be 'academic' , so are there any books where I can get my info from? Can be either on IM history, or technologies used for it, whatever
>>
>>55072571
This sort of protection should be built into your building through the use of fuses or circuit breakers. You can also buy surge protectors.
>>
>>55072500
Do I buy the 480 as soon as it comes out or buy it on black friday this year?
>>
>>55072694
You never buy anything 'as soon as it comes out'. You wait for reviews, then you wait 3 or 4 months to see that no major issues have cropped up with manufacturing or software (honestly I wait a year from release date before buying anything).
>>
File: 1430488832_2122353723.jpg (512 KB, 1280x927) Image search: [Google]
1430488832_2122353723.jpg
512 KB, 1280x927
I'm thinking about buying the HP Elitebook 8470P.

It costs 330 euro, and has the following specs:
Intel Core i7 3520M
1600 x 900 HD+
14,1" LED Anti-Glare
8GB DDR3
240GB Solid State Disk SSD
IntelĀ® HD4000 Graphics

I'll be using it to supplement my more powerful desktop on the go and I' ll primarily use it for programming (I'd like it to run android emulators comfortably etc), and some amateur/simple image manipulation.

The only downside I see is that it's a bit bulky. But the alternative is a HP Elitebook Folio 9470M, which has a worse processor (i7-3687U), costs more (500 euro), and potentially has a worse screen (doesn't say).

Any advice would be very welcome.
)
>>
>>55072608

Just get a history book on carrier pidgeons and morse code
>>
File: 2252-1.jpg (21 KB, 500x429) Image search: [Google]
2252-1.jpg
21 KB, 500x429
How does /g/ prevent these things from getting absolutely clogged with earwax? It's probably the single most important reason I still prefer on-ear headphones.
>>
File: absolutely_disgusting.png (168 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
absolutely_disgusting.png
168 KB, 400x400
>>55072716
Clean your ear more often
>>
>>55072705
I'm typing this from a Elitebook 8460p (basically yours but with 2nd generation processor). It's a great laptop, but a bit bulky.
My father has that Folio model, and the screen does indeed look shitty. But Folio is slimmer and has backlit keyboard.

What do you want to know?
>>
>>55072708
well I haven't thought that far back, mostly meant of electronic communication, does telegraphy even have any place in a paper about IM
>>
>>55072647
That i'm aware of, that's power lines though. How does one protect all those balcony-2-balcony cat fives and adsl lines climbing walls and stretching over the rooftops?

Few days ago everyone in a building few blocks over had their routers and network adapters fried due to a lightning strike.
>>
File: cat_sitting_with_drawings.jpg (57 KB, 600x658) Image search: [Google]
cat_sitting_with_drawings.jpg
57 KB, 600x658
Does anyone know of a tool I can use to create a bootable USB to install Windows from on Linux? I tried something called WinUSB but it just gives me this junk:

[user@soma Downloads]$ sudo winusb --format Win7_Pro_SP1_English_x64.iso /dev/sdb
Formating device...
Mounting...
mount: /dev/loop0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
Copying...
Installing grub...
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels. This is not supported yet..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
Error occured !
Syncing...
Cleaning...
Umounting and removing '/media/winusb_iso_1465898191_9831'...
Umounting and removing '/media/winusb_target_1465898191_9831'...
>>
>>55072749
What's wrong with rufus?
>>
>>55072739
This happened to me last year, power lines got hit by lightning, fucked the modem Ethernet cables and the Ethernet port on my pc
>>
>>55072569
RAID is a collective name of ways to arrange multiple hard disks. For instance:
RAID 0 is two hard disks with unrelated contents. This option gives the most storage (2 disks of 500GB in raid 0 provide 1TB of storage)
RAID 1 is two mirrored hard disks. This provides a backup in case one breaks down but less storage (2 disks of 500GB in RAID 1 provide 500GB of storage)
RAID 5 is a neat little trick that provides fault correction at low data penalty and gets more efficient when more disks are used. (5 disks of 500GB in raid 5 provide 2 TB of storage)
There are probably other variants that I forgot about.
>>
>>55072754
> on Linux
rufus is for Windows
>>
>>55072732

Sorry did you mean the Folio screen or the 8460P screen?

And well I guess the specs mostly speak for themselves and I am guessing the build quality is good as well.

So, primarily your experience I suppose. Any weird hiccups such as a low wifi range? And if you'd have to buy a laptop for programming would you go for the Folio or the 8460p?

And thanks for responding.
>>
>>55072772
Does rufus not work on wine?...
>>
>>55072749
try unetbootin
>>
>>55072590
>>55072769
Hmm okay thanks anons
>>
File: 1465752711323-1.jpg (15 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
1465752711323-1.jpg
15 KB, 239x239
Could anybody please link me to some good CCNA materials? The more revision-oriented, the better.
Got my certificates about 2yrs ago, lost my folder, and now I have an interview coming up which supposedly has "a lot of ccna stuff" mixed in along with the usual bullshit.
>>
File: webp2.jpg (259 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
webp2.jpg
259 KB, 1920x1080
>used to get over 16,000kbit/s on a dsl 16 contract
>leave the country to study
>come back, suddenly only 11mbit for god knows how long and internet constantly interrupting (my mom didn't notice)
>call isp, they say they're testing things
>three months later they finally raise the bandwidth again
>now i get 13mbit out of 16mbit
>they say this is normal

my router is ancient, could this be the problem or should i look into switching providers?
the interruptions are gone and i've been happy with this isp since like 2005, but i don't want to pay for 16mbit when i only get 13.
>>
>>55072781
I'd say both are good. The Elitebook HD+ screen is good enough for me, however it's a 2011 laptop so I assume nowadays with IPS and such it's a bit ugly in comparison.
My father has the Folio with 768p screen, which I would never want to use myself. If you can get a 9470m with HD+ screen you have a very nice laptop though.

I think the real difference is 3 things:
- Elitebook has more ports
- Elitebook (well mine at least, yours too I suppose) has a CD drive you can switch with a second SSD/HDD.

- Folio is more portable.

So pick your poison. Portability vs functionality.
>>
>>55072814
Read the fine print, i bet it says "up to" 16mbit.
Doesn't mean always 16mbit. Everyone does that, switching may not help you.
>>
File: .jpg (211 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
211 KB, 500x364
>>55072844
>i bet it says "up to" 16mbit.
it does.

so there's nothing i can do? that sucks, especially since it was working fine for years. damn weasels.

but thank you anyway.
>>
>>55072795
>unetbootin
Seems busted/complicated for Windows ISOs. You need to apparently do some shit where you fuck around back and forth with GParted formatting it as FAT32 first to trick UNetbootin and then as NTFS after selecting some options

I'd prefer not to do that if there's a cleaner way.
>>
>>55072830

Alright thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Probably going for the Elitebook 8470P.
>>
Building a tower. Should I stick with the in-case fans or upgrade to some "premium" fans?
>>
How come when I play games on my PC (example Endless Legend, Grim Dawn, Civ 5, New Vegas) will lag and slow down but other games like (Talos Principle, Rage, Portal) will play smooth?
>>
Is there a single AV that's actually worth paying for? I was reminded of my parents paying 100 odd annually for AVs 10+ years ago, and it got me wondering if people are still paying for them now
>>
>>55072876
if it's a $100+ case, you can stick to the in-case fans.

>>55072879
different game engines and optimization. turn down the graphics settings for the games that lag.
>>
>>55072500
How does one get started with learning the basics of Linux? I don't want to finish college as a one-trick pony (1st year electronicsfag here).
I already have already configured a machine to dualboot Linux Mint / Win7 but I have no idea what to do with it.
>>
>>55072892
kaspersky is good and i've heard good things about nod32 on /g/. but they're not really better than most free AVs
>>
>>55072872
You won't regret it, unless you really need portability.
>>
File: example.png (541 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
example.png
541 KB, 1920x1080
When I watch a movie or a video and there's too much darkness in the scene (pic related) my screen turns off (goes to sleeping mode?) until I move my mouse or the scene changes to something lighter.
Anyone had a problem with this? I tried checking the settings, found nothing.
LG 23MP55
>>
>>55072905
learn bash
>>
>>55072879
Play around with some of the more obscure graphics settings and see what's in common.

>>55072900
Thanks lad. How difficult would it be to swap out fans in the future, anyway?
>>
When I set my new RAMs timings, voltage, and speed to match the sticker my computer has trouble booting. It's a speed my motherboard can handle according to the manufacturer, but it will take 2 or 3 tries on startup for it to actually boot, each time only being on for less than a second before shutting down and rebooting. When I leave it all on auto it boots correctly, but the timings and speeds are wrong in CPU-Z.

Wat do.
>>
>>55072920
>How difficult would it be to swap out fans in the future
i've never done it myself, but it's as easy as unplugging the old fans and plugging in the new ones. just make sure they fit the case.

>>55072917
which OS are you using? has it always been this way or did it randomly start?
try a different video player.
>>
File: URlN5ID.jpg (218 KB, 600x628) Image search: [Google]
URlN5ID.jpg
218 KB, 600x628
>>55072933
>it will take 2 or 3 tries on startup for it to actually boot
that's because after a few tries the mobo automatically loads the default bios settings in order to boot.
just leave it on stable settings, the very minor speed increase is not worth it.

>>55072942
reverse image search mate
>>
>>55072905
Go through LinuxFromScratch guide. I don't know if they support a raspberry pi or something yet, but I would do it on that if possible.
>>
>>55072906
>but they're not really better than most free AVs
I suppose real time protection is the only thing that most paid versions would have over it, but even that seems like a resource hog to most people
>>
>>55072938
I'm using Windows 7 and I don't remember exactly how long it's been this way. It may've started when I bought a new screen.
It's like that when I watch YT videos too, so I don't think the problem is MPC.
I mean, I'm pretty sure it's my screen so I'm asking if anyone had the same problem.
Thanks a lot anyway
>>
Does anyone know of a good dedicated MP3 player that supports 128GB microSD cards ?
I was looking at those chink Ruizu ones, and they only goup to 64GB
>>
Could you guys recommend me a gps that lets me make 30~ waypoints and allows for notes on each one? Map accuracy and gps tracking aren't a huge deal.
>>
>>55072983
go to control panel>power options>change plan settings>turn off display>never

also check the advanced power options (right below turn off display) if that doesn't work. there should be a setting somewhere to prevent the display from turning off.

about the dark video, i can only tell you to look through mpc's settings and use shaders if nothing else helps. no idea why the video would be this dark, sorry.
>>
>>55073003
Forgot to mention it's for android.
>>
>>55072996
fiio
sansa clip+

those seem to be recommended on /g/ from time to time. or get a cheap android phone with poweramp.
>>
>>55072500
1. Why Mega have to force people use their client when downloading via mobile
2. Is it possible to use Microsoft Office IME 2010 on Win8/10? Win8/10 come with higher version of same software so direct attempt to install Office IME 2010 onto those OSs would result in error, but the newer version preinstalled on the two OSs are missing some functionality. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/when-will-the-cantonese-input-method-be-available/9eb2d03c-e326-4eb6-9f72-c1320e32102b for further detail.
3.My mobile operator banned VPN usage because they think using VPN enable tethering. How to browse Japan-only site via their network? Without changing to other operators/plans, because those other operators charge 3x more while giving 1/3 as much data with a 1/2 speed cap.
4.Is the use of q value in accept language field not supported by IE11?
5.How to prevent sites/apps does not support my language setting zh-HK fall back to zh instead of zh-Hant? Especially on mobile Android devices where you can only pick one language as system language.
6.How to represent a document with a mixture of two different languages in IETF language tag? Note that the two language is snot used side by side, instead they are used in a fashion like "Watashi's favourite keitai manufacturer wa Apple desu."
7.When Win8's dwm.exe (desktop window manager?) killed itself due to lack of memory, and then using taskmgr > start new task > dwm.exe give no response, how to restart the process?
8.I heard that Symbian were once opensource half decades ago, why no one port that to other phones?
9.How do I keep multiple (three) IC cards in my wallet and prevent them from interfering each other while still allow them to work when I tap them onto individual card's reader?
10.How to post on Japanese sites like 2ch outside Japan without buying their pass? They block foreign IP and also vpn
11.Is it legal/possible to invest in US stock without revealing my actual identity?
>>
>>55073021
FiiO is prohibitively expensive, and Sansa Clip+ doesn't do 128GB.

Are there any other options ? I have a feeling most cheap Android phones won't support anything more than 64GB mSD cards either.
>>
>>55072739
subscribe to an ISP that provide Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) option?
>>
>>55073148
That indeed would be the safest solution i think.
>>
>>55073131
1. Use desktop user agent.
Also, sites can't just "block vpn", they block particular addresses. If your vpn doesn't work try a different one.
>>
Are there any pci express cards that have a 20pin connection (old joystick on a hp envy desktop)
>>
>>55073142
>Sansa Clip+ doesn't do 128GB
sorry for the suggesting, i thought i've read somewhere that it does, but there's only one user claiming it does. i'd be wary.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/A-128Gb-SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-UHS-1-card-30-mb-s-Works-with-my/td-p/331277

is the fiio x1 really to much?
>>
What is an assault-style weapon?
>>
>>55072500
12. What to replace an iPod Classic?
13. Is there any tools that can allow mass upload of pictures in a folder onto a mediawiki wikifarm?
14. For Nokia N1 tablet, it use USB type C connector but only support upto the speed that is equivalent to USB 2.0. Which pins have been actually wired in the tablet's socket?
15. Is Apple still releasing new Darwin OS and do they have any actual value nowadays?

>>55073168
Tried most of those free URL and some paid URL but all of them doesn't work. Others claim they tried to rent Japanese server and pist via those and that does not work either.
>>
>>55073253
12. your phone
13. scp

15. >appul
>>
>>55072965
Fug. I bought 8gb of 2133 MHz in the hopes it would be an upgrade over the 4 mismatched sticks of 1600 MHz that I had. Oh well, since the timings and voltage match this time around it won't be that big of a waste of money.
>>
>>55073287
12. My phone don't have 160GB.
13.That is a wikifarm and thus I won't be able to connect to their server in this way
>>
>>55073204
Officially it's only up to 64GB, yeah. That guy might have gotten lucky, or it might only work with that particular microSD card, might be wonky, and I'd rather not risk it.

>is the fiio x1 really to much?
Yeah. Not so much in the way that I can't afford it, but I just can't justify that price when I -can- listen to music on my phone. What I'm looking for is just a simple, cheap player with support for a big microSD card, not a premium kinda thing like the FiiO X1.
>>
is lisp still worth learning? if so, why?
>>
>>55073383
12. get a phone with microsd then
13. curl + bash/python/whatever
>>
Has anyone ever tried making VR applications in Unreal? Is it simple to set up?
>>
>>55073475
12.There are virtually no 160GB+ micro SD on the market now except a very expensive 200-ish GB Sandisk micro sd
13. Still I won't have direct access to their database except via mediawiki's api
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 421x156) Image search: [Google]
file.png
6 KB, 421x156
When I try to set MSI afterburner to start on windows startup, I get this error. Anyone knows the cause?
i'm on win 10
>>
File: i3-in-action.png (762 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
i3-in-action.png
762 KB, 1919x1079
Linux half-noob here.
Finally decided to ascend after having used elementary's default whatever... What is your advice on some fast & convenient tiling window managers, that don't look like shit? I've heard of i3 and wtftw, are they any good? Also, what is the difference between a window manager and a desktop manager like GNOME? For example, do I keep gnome if I install i3?
>>
>>55073551
tried googling but couldn't find anything about this particular error code BTW
>>
i got pic related network and i need to configure NAT in order to give Internet access to computers in VLAN 11 and 12. When i test connectivity from computers to two public IP addresses of ISP routers 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.1 displays the "Request timed out." message.

here are my commands so far

R1

R1(config)#interface serial 0/0/0
R1(config-if)#ip nat inside
R1(config-if)#exit
R1(config)#ip nat inside source static 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.1
R1(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1
R1(config)#

ISP1

ISP1(config)#interface serial 0/0/0
ISP1(config-if)#ip nat outside
ISP1(config-if)#exit

R1#show ip nat translations 
Pro Inside global Inside local Outside local Outside global
--- 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 --- ---

what am i doing wrong?
>>
>>55073553
I used i3 for a while. It's alright but if you're looking for something that you can customize the shit out of then it might not be for you. I think it has Python support but I'm not sure. A desktop environment is a full feature support environment, comes with a compositor, more resources and I lot of stuff people just never use. A window manager only comes with the bare essentials, like windows and maybe a menu. It's a lot faster and offers a smaller load than a desktop environment. If you find a window manager that you like and are willing to stick with it then just get rid of GNOME.
>>
>>55073553
>What is your advice on some fast & convenient tiling window managers, that don't look like shit?
they all do when you first install them desu, it's up to you to make them look good

>I've heard of i3 and wtftw, are they any good?
I've been using i3 for a while now and like it. It's probably one of the easiest to use/configure.
You should probably just try a few and see which ones you like tho.
Never heard of wtftw.

>Also, what is the difference between a window manager and a desktop manager like GNOME?
It's called desktop environment and a DE usually includes a wide range of programs (file mananger, terminal, document viewer, ...), system configuration tools AND a window manager.
And well, a window manager is just that.

>For example, do I keep gnome if I install i3?
So yeah, you can keep gnome and keep using the included programs. I'm pretty sure it's also possible to integrate i3 into gnome, but I wouldn't do that.
>>
>>55073711
>>55073710
Thanks for explaining! :)

And just 2 last questions... What exactly is the display server (I'm guessing what starts when I type "startx"), and is it possible to have multiple Desktop Environments/Window Managers and be able to switch between them (by logging out or something)?
>>
>>55072500
Is the 480 going to be good enough to run Overwatch on medium-to-good settings, or do we not yet know enough about the meme card to answer that question?
>>
am i still a shit if i was given an iphone for free? i definitely would have bought a chinkphone otherwise
>>
>>55072803
That anon forgot to mention that RAID0 writes or reads parts of a single file to both disks at once, thus improving r/w speeds but it also means you're fucked if one of the disks goes poof.
>>
>>55072705
Price looks good for the specs. Which country/retailer?
>>
>>55073774
A 480 will smash it. My 280x stomps it with all on ultra. The game doesn't seem very demanding. Im sure theres other games that are better benchmarks
>>
>>55073891
ok cool thanks
>>
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that I want to replace and I've been thinking about getting another Macbook and just dual boot Windows and OSX but since Apple refuses to update the Air and Pro there's really no point in getting one, so what are the best sub $1000 laptops right now? I've seen people recommend the Dell XPS but I've also seen people having issues with it. I don't really need any specific features, just solid build construction, not too bulky and 8 GB RAM is preferable.
>>
>>55073907
did they die?
>>
>>55073756
>What exactly is the display server (I'm guessing what starts when I type "startx"),
A display server manages the input and output, so it's communicating directly with the kernel. (If I'm not mistaken)
The windows on the screen are bascially clients of the display server.

Unless you meant display manager, then see below.

>and is it possible to have multiple Desktop Environments/Window Managers and be able to switch between them (by logging out or something)?
Yes, using a display manager. When you're using a display manager you can choose the type of session (so basically which window manager or desktop environment) before logging in.
>>
>>55073918
obviously
>>
What drives do I buy when my WD Greens die?
Is Crossfire good/not-shit yet?
Is there any SSH or VPN software that isn't complete shit?
Do I upgrade from my 955 now or wait until Zen and snag a previous gen on the cheaper?
VM software of choice?
What is love?
>>
File: Thanks anon, Have a cookie.jpg (10 KB, 217x200) Image search: [Google]
Thanks anon, Have a cookie.jpg
10 KB, 217x200
>>55073934
Ok then. I'll look into it.
Thank you so much for all your answers. It would be a pain to look through pages and pages of wikis to try and understand it all. :D
>>
Where can I buy a cheap and legit windows 7/8.1 key?
>>
>>55073999
no problem, but you'll probably have to look through a lot of wiki pages if you plan on actually using a tiling window manager (and a minimalist environment)
>>
>>55074119
Try Kinguin
I'm not familiar enough to say go for it so do some mandatory reading before you buy
>>
Youtube keeps changing the quality of the videos.
For bandwidth-limit reasons, i prefer to watch my videos in 480p, but Youtube keeps randomly changing the quality to 720p.
How do i stop this?????
>>
quick question:
Is Goigle Search History's page currently not accessible or is it just me?
>>
File: 819htI5dKGL._SL1500_.jpg (137 KB, 1171x1500) Image search: [Google]
819htI5dKGL._SL1500_.jpg
137 KB, 1171x1500
Looking for suggestions here. My desktop died and I am not going to replace it since I don't play games anymore, but I have 6TB of data across four sata drives which all survived. What's a nice convenient way to get access to this stuff from my other devices without spending a ton of money on a NAS or something like that?

Maybe one of these USB drive bays? external sata cable?
>>
>>55074335
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

install this, click gear in top right corner, find the playback quality option and change it

there is probably an option if you simply stay logged into youtube but i assume if you are here you probably aren't sending cookies to google

>>55074344
just you
>>
I have an Xperia Z3 and it keeps downloading videos saying 'New Highlights video'. I can't find what program it is, there's nothing called Highlights on the apps list, does anyone know what I need to kill?
>>
>>55074471
Go into the developer settings and take a look at the currently running apps/services.
>>
>>55074412
ok, so I tried to login to Google Search History with both IE, Firefox and Chrome on my Android and my Windows labtop, in both normal mode and inprivate mode, via both my home broadband and 3G network, all of them show nothing but a blank page after you login [login page are normal]. Also, despite those pages are displayed as blank, Those page content and website link are there in the page's source code. And switching to other google account would not reproduce the problem. How to make it work for my original account?
>>
>>55072500
$ pacman -Qe | pr -4 -t

Why does the output takes only half the screen? I want it to take the whole width of the terminal window
>>
>>55074769
fbi here. we have confiscated your history sorry
>>
I made a dd copy of a zfs volume, how do I mount it now?
>>
>>55074790
Some of those most recent histories do appear in the blank page's source mode, but the page is blank
>>
File: ss (2016-06-13 at 11.10.08).png (5 KB, 642x177) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-13 at 11.10.08).png
5 KB, 642x177
Why is my internet slowed down by cable tv? Yesterday i noticed when i turned off tv device i gained some speed. Tv and internet come out of same router. What am i supposed to do here?
>>
>>55074824
get fiber optic internet and stop paying for television
>>
>>55074833
Fiber not available to me
>>
>>55074824
You cannot do nothing, You TV most probably needs internet to download the actual content of the TV therefor, it requires your internet bandwidth. All you can do is get a better internet.
>>
>>55073553
May I suggest you Awesome Window Manager ?
>>
File: bootstrap.png (114 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
bootstrap.png
114 KB, 500x400
Bootstrap 3

My phone is 480x800

xs changes to sm at breakpoint 768px

So when my phone is in landscape, why doesn't it switch to sm version?

Landscape means 800px width, which should change from xs to sm.

Help?
>>
>>55074824
Stop being a fucktard. Television is for keeping inmates sedated.
>>
What's a good Spotify replacement? I just found out the musicmatch lyrics integration is gone, so I went to install a different spotify app to replace it, and it turns out they've removed Apps too. They just keep getting worse, basically. I'm done with them.

Who can I use instead? OS X, needs to have a similarly large catalogue and support lyrics.

(I'm not talking about a player for local files. I have a good solution for that.)
>>
>>55074875
I was afraid it will be like that. Stupid ISP should have covered me by adding more speed to cover loss caused by tv.
>>
>>55074959
12 monkeys?
>>
File: How to decrypt your files.jpg (62 KB, 960x671) Image search: [Google]
How to decrypt your files.jpg
62 KB, 960x671
>>55073985
WD Black or Red
generally a single is always better
ssh: client? putty | server: openssh
955 is ok. question is if you NEED it, proly no.
VM: VMWARE only / hyperv for fun
Love is when she tolerates all your shit and still cares for you.
>>
>>55074933
Also:

Works as expected in Ctrl+Shift+M in Firefox

Doesn't work on a phone
>>
>>55074983
ĀæQue?
>>
>>55075002
I thought it was a movie reference.
>>
File: itx.jpg (93 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
itx.jpg
93 KB, 640x480
How significant are the differences between motherboards and their chip sets, performance-wise?

Looking to buy a mini-itx next month, what should I look out for?
>>
File: sony-ericsson-w200-full-1.jpg (38 KB, 405x452) Image search: [Google]
sony-ericsson-w200-full-1.jpg
38 KB, 405x452
How can I carrier unlock my Sony Ericsson W200i? I've tried looking around and it actually seems like as if there's a few old softwares that can do the trick for free. How would I do this?
>>
>>55074986
>question is if you NEED it

I need it but it, can wait until prices are better
>>
What's a good alternative to DeaDBeef?
>>
Is there a plugin for fb2k that provides a speed control with good pitch correction? I want to listen to lectures at high speed.

If not, what player should I use for this?
>>
>>55074790
IE console error message: access is denied, what does that mean? I can visit gmail and such..
>>
How can I play my chinese cartoon girl games in swf format on my android tablet? My device tries to launch them with VLC but it doesn't work. Tried legacy Adobe Flash but it doesn't work either.
>>
>>55075557
Don't.
>>
Alright lids. I want to know about wireless extenders.

I recently completed my first PC build, but the wireless adapter isn't picking up a strong signal from my room. I'm looking into a wireless extender, and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences/much luck with a particular type.

And no, hard-wiring my computer to the router is a no-go.
>>
File: earth ground.jpg (70 KB, 768x577) Image search: [Google]
earth ground.jpg
70 KB, 768x577
>>55072571
yes it's called grounding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_%28electricity%29
>>
>>55072608
Yes, see link,
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Messaging-For-Dummies/dp/0470224142
>>
File: 250px-Snapper.png (46 KB, 250x171) Image search: [Google]
250px-Snapper.png
46 KB, 250x171
I'm gonna be upgrading my mobo/cpu today. For my current install of windows, should I be good if I just uninstall my old mobo drivers? Or am I better off just doing a fresh install of windows?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>55072716
clog them with something else first (flour and milk) (glue and sand), it will make it so the ear wax has trouble getting into them.
>>
>>55075718
there are lots of small considerations and preparations to make when keeping your operating system with new motherboard/cpu hardware. stuff can go wrong, but it's perfectly doable if you're lazy.

however it is almost always a better decision to do a fresh install. Even if that means you will have to spend an extra hour or whatever setting things up properly.
>>
I need a good program to edit .pdf and .doc files. Specifically i need to fill in my curriculum.
>>
>>55075718
The Windows license is tied to the motherboard. So you're getting a new computer as defined by Microsoft. Do you have a plan to activate it?
>>
>>55075788
the fuck is a windows license? i use daz loader
>>
File: RJ45 - Fuse.jpg (9 KB, 325x302) Image search: [Google]
RJ45 - Fuse.jpg
9 KB, 325x302
>>55072739
An answer could be in here, http://it-ebooks.info/book/513/ it's a free download, or you could create a network cable box with fuses in it.
>>
File: The Chart.jpg (40 KB, 544x484) Image search: [Google]
The Chart.jpg
40 KB, 544x484
Is this true?
>>
>>55075557
Not possible.
>>
>>55075858
Not really.
>>
>>55075858
Nope.
There has not been a dent in the scientific advancement in the medieval age.
>>
>>55075858
yes and no. There some stuff that were invented, and some historians and wondering if we're not under estimating the people on those times and their technologies.
>>
>>55075858
No, history doesnt work in that way for begin.
>>
>>55075858
It's too euro centric. The Christian dark ages sucked in Europe but there were many advances in mathematics and science in the middle east, india, khmer and china during this time.
>>
File: 59290158.jpg (120 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
59290158.jpg
120 KB, 400x400
>>55072500
What are the differences from Dell BIOS A03 to A04?

I got an old (2005?) Dimension E310 with Pentium 4, wondering if I should bother updating it.
>>
>>55075955
No such thing as a dark age for science. As a matter of fact,christian orders wrote, replicated and accumulated large quantities of scientific books.
Also it's a myth that non-christian researchers were hindered in their work.
>>
>>55075858
No.
Is too eurocentric, assumes that "progress" only means "material technology" only, doesn't account the effects of the plague in Europe, is too positivist, insist in decimononic protestant myths about middle ages and a large etc.
>>
>>55075858
No.
Its literally "Carl Sagan and others talking about shit that isn't science" in a graphic
>>
Any one know of a decent laptop I can pick up, new or refurbished, for about Ā£200. Mainly for internet, essays, films, and possibly light programming, but nothing to intensive. What specs show I be looking for?
Thanks
>>
My bf and I haven't been able to fuck since November because he keeps doing and saying stuff that turns me off. Should I cuck him?
>>
>>55075858
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/middleages#wiki_the_.22dark_ages.22
Hate to pointing to reddit, but there's a good compendium on how was the shit in the middle ages.
>>
>>55076219
Read the OP of the other thread you just asked that in.
>>
>>55076238
Shit, I genuinely forgot about that link, thanks.
>>
needed smartphone for job, sister gave me her old iphone.

how can i debotnet/debloat/decrapify/deapple it?

also why they fuck cant i transfer single files to my pc?
>>
>>55075652
>>55075652

pls respond
>>
>>55072500
do you?
>>
File: 1463425939981.jpg (345 KB, 1024x823) Image search: [Google]
1463425939981.jpg
345 KB, 1024x823
I was sent a .mov movie file. The audio cuts off after the first like ten seconds (at a consistent time) for the rest of the video. If I skip past it, the audio will play and then cut off again at seemingly random times. I can listen to cut off parts using the skipping method, so I know the audio is there somewhere. Something is just telling it to switch off.

It was sent over skype, if that might be an issue.

I've never had this issue before so I don't really know how to troubleshoot. I tried playing it through different programs, and the same thing happened for each.

Apparently it plays fine all the way through for them.

What's going on here?
>>
I'm having trouble connecting to a certain website. A friend set up a private email server and gave me an address in it. Trying to connect to it gives you "the connection timed out". Tried it on different browsers AND different computers on my network. None work. Took my phone off my wifi, can successfully connect.

I CAN nslookup and ping the site successfully, but CAN'T look it up in a browser. I am using a netgear WNDR4300

IP address retrieved from ISP.
DNS: 8.8.8.8

Let me know what other info is needed.
>>
File: blz.jpg (100 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
blz.jpg
100 KB, 500x500
>>55076267
>>
>>55076267
You can't
Just bow down to your new Apple overlord and do as it says.
>>
File: 1463927026088.png (23 KB, 221x213) Image search: [Google]
1463927026088.png
23 KB, 221x213
When will PC games start not to be compatible with Win7?
>>
>>55076710
as soon as publishers think it's not profitable anymore
>>
>>55074790
Now I can access via Google's "My account" page...but not directly via the url...what..
>>
>>55072856
It's like a highway. If you have lots of cars on the road at the same time, the speed of traffic goes down.
>>
>>55076736
*not profitable *enough* anymore
>>
How do you organise a script to open source it?

So basically mine requires to add some stuff in the user's .zshrc (or .profile or .bashrc or whatever -- something that is run whenever you start a shell) and then a small script that should be in the user's path.

What's the best way to add make this "installable" such that it automatically adds my stuff to their .zshrc and puts my script in something in their path. Something that adheres to the Linux standards.
>>
Tried to run Age of Empires II AoK + Conq expansion + 1.0e (no-cd patch) + Userpatch 1.4RC under Wine 1.9.11 under Mac OS X El Capitan. Base game and expansion worked well but Userpatch caused either a divide by zero exception or invalid floating point operation. This was rectified by uninstalling the user patch and reinstalling while unchecking WINDOWED MODE in the user patch settings. Since then have been able to play with no problems aside from the lack of music and pointer disappearing on tech menu.

>>55076710
Probably a while from now. It's only fairly recently that you can't play modern games on XP and that OS is 15 years old.
>>
I'm aware there are no benchmarks as of yet. I just want to know your opinion:
Do you think the Radeon RX 480 will beat a 290x Sapphire Tri-X 8GB? I'm contemplating to sell mine and buy a 480 as a replacement.
>>
File: tinder.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
tinder.gif
1 MB, 480x270
Does anyone of you /g/ wizzkids know if this works?

>I have tinder
>I reached the maximum likes you can do every 12 hours
>I changed the date and time in my phone
>Suddenly I can continue liking

However the green heart is 'greyed' out
I still see the "Like" message but the heart is flickering in a grey color, but I do see that I "Like" them.

I'm wondering if those likes still count as legit likes, or if tinder knows i'm abusing their system and they ignores them.

Thanks for the help
>>
>>55076683
please help me. i would have bought a chinkphone if i hadnt got an iphone for free.

its like i have no control over anything on it. i have it but they still own it. who knows what of my information is being sent to apple HQ. Please help me, what programs can i download that will clear out all of the shit and modify the OS to be usable?
>>
File: 4312.jpg (402 KB, 1920x2247) Image search: [Google]
4312.jpg
402 KB, 1920x2247
Say I want to be real cool and design a robotic arm with individual digits, wrist, elbow etc...

What is the best software to design the components? autoCAD?

and for circuit design, what there?

Also, are these for free?
>>
>>55076440
Bumping this question again, I have no idea where to start
>>
>>55077174
>>55076440
To add on, it seems like the audio cuts off when a louder noise happens. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it cuts off, but it always seems in sync with one of these noises.

But I know that the noises got recorded because I can hear them if I skip to them, so it's not like some kind of recording end filter. Can I disable this somehow?
>>
File: OPEN.HAND_.THUMBS-UP.TEXT_.png (740 KB, 879x632) Image search: [Google]
OPEN.HAND_.THUMBS-UP.TEXT_.png
740 KB, 879x632
>>55077165
Don't know, but you may want to google "open source prosthetic hand". There are a number of people around the globe trying to design and build similar things and they freely share their work.
>>
>>55077165
idk
Creo Parametric is pretty good. And relatively affordable ;)
>>
>>55075064
bump
>>
File: 1444404111152.png (264 KB, 1080x1710) Image search: [Google]
1444404111152.png
264 KB, 1080x1710
>>55072500
So I added a second monitor to my setup just because I had an older monitor lying around.

I've noticed that if I put something on it though, things have a tendency to run like fucking shit on it. It's definitely worse when i Play vidya, but I wouldn't expect it to happen when I'm just streaming something on my main.

GTX 770. Anybody have any experience with this?
>>
is it worthwhile buying a UPS ?

I don't particularly live in an area with lots of black outs of brownouts, just want to secure my hardware.
>>
My mother is looking for a new computer. She only pretty much only uses her computer for office and the internet. Is the following a good deal or are there better options in the same price range?

http://www.kmart.com/hp-refurbished-hp-elite-8200-sff-core-i5/p-00357508000P
http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-251-intel-quad-core-desktop-7
>>
>>55077341
Yes.And dont nig on one either.
It does more then just power surges.It will your system from damage via high or low voltage,and it will assist in saving your tech
>>
>>55077108
Nah, it ignores them. Also:
>2016
>using tinder
>>
>>55077365
Build her this
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/j4pRBP
>>
>>55077372
>don't nig on one
well, recommend me on that doesn't break the bank.
I would prefer to keep in the $100 range
>>
>>55077372
ups aren't for power surges, they're for power outages to give you time to shut down. for surge protection you need ground fault interrupt breakers
>>
>>55077435
>$100
You wont find a good one for your system.
That will buy you a nice one for your modem/router. and maybe a lamp for blackouts
>>
>>55077455
I think you guys are over estimating my needs here, to say you can't find a good UPS for $100 seems wrong, I don't need it to run for 30+ minutes on battery, just mostly protect the system from brief power outages/spikes/brownouts
>>
>>55077409
how do you know it ignores them? any source on that?
>>
>>55075652
Dont use Wi-Fi for your pc, fucking idiot
>>
>>55077493
>hurr, you need to run a 50ft lan cable through the house ofr a desktop
ok kid
>>
>>55077435
Unfortunately you just missed out on a nice sale on a 900W pure sine wave model for $137 a week ago.

You can get the 600 watt model for about the same price now but that may not be enough for your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16842102132
>>
>>55077488
The fact that you see the same people the next day/after an app reboot is fact enough. You can only come across somebody once.
>>
>>55077510
Or you dont and buy a powerline adapter fucking idiot
>>
>>55077561
powerline adapters are shit and a no go for anyone with old or shoddy wiring, grow up kid, wifi is the fucking standard
>>
>>55077553
how do you even remember who you've seen?
>>
File: IMG_20160614_132841.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_132841.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
>>55077444
High Transfer Voltage 
The upper limit of acceptable input voltage. When the input reaches this value, the UPS starts to use its AVR Trim feature.
Low Transfer Voltage
The lower limit of acceptable input voltage. When the input reaches this value, the UPS starts to use its AVR Boost feature or switches to battery operation

Kindly fuck your self. They have a fucking transformer kid
>>
>>55077479
You need one the size of your power supply + 100w.
You will not find one
>>
is there a excel chart or something where i can compare different GTX 1080's?
>>
>>55077582
like lightning strikes don't routinely fry transformers
>>
Found this code in a thread a few hours ago, what does it do?
def numFSM(a):
state='e2'
if a == '':
print('nigger')
else :
a = a.split()
case0 = {i: 'e'+str(i) for i in range(0, len(a))}
#case1 = {#...}
#case2 = {#...}
while a :
for x in range(0, len(a)):
if state == 'e0':
state = case0[x]
print(state)
elif state == 'e1':
#state = case1[x]
print('case1')
elif state == 'e2':
#state = case2[x]
print('case2')
>>
>>55077594
Now you're just making dumb shit up..
>>
>>55077580
Protip: if you're not a goldfish or suffering from prosopagnosia you'll remember at least one face.
>>
>>55077604
So the purpose of it, is to protect your system from damange, so kill the transformer, while not killing your system.Go back to A+ highschool classes
>>
>>55072749
>
Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.

remove the existing labels, then try again
>>
>>55077624
Go buy a 10w ups and see what happens.
>>
>>55077630
which is fucking pointless when your ups costs twice what your system does
>>
>>55077626
i like the maximum every day, i doubt it, they all look the same
>>
>>55077653
>UPS: $650
>Hardware: ~2,000
Yeah no.I won't be replacing anything
>>
Building a computer. I've been having trouble connecting the monitor to the PC. No matter if it's VGA or DVI, the monitor never shows anything except a small message saying "No signal". The PC seems to run fine, the fans turn on etc. I know it's not the power supply, because I've tried two different ones (500w and 700w), as well as two different graphic cards. It can't be the monitor's fault, for I connected it to my laptop and it displayed everything correctly. What could be the possible issues?
>>
>>55077694
Try the buttons on the monitor,and make sure it is on a channel you're using. It might be on hdmi for example,and wont pick up your dsub/dvi
>>
Can you take a set of, say, DDR3-2400 memory with CL10 and have it run at DDR3-1600 with CL7, or does it not work that way?
>>
>>55077718
No
>>
>>55077717
I've tried all the channels no matter what cord I was using for each one. It still doesn't work.
>>
I won a custom PC at a charity raffle. I have no experience with custom builds. It seems to work, but won't display anything in any format.
How do I even begin to troubleshoot this thing? The graphics card alone is more expensive than my old PC. Should I just follow troubleshooting guides online, or am I just going to break my shit doing that?
>>
>>55077611
hah cool effect

paste it into a .py file and run it
>>
What torrent app for Android is the best? Used to use utorrent but switched to Flub, but is there anything better?
>>
File: coolermaster_mastercase5.png (472 KB, 824x908) Image search: [Google]
coolermaster_mastercase5.png
472 KB, 824x908
Anyone know a non-ugly way to archieve this?
>>
>>55077630
Look up how surge suppression works, you're not frying the transformer
If the surge suppression circuit gets fried you can get a replacement under warranty, or possibly find an electronics repair that will fix it.
>>
>>55077784
it's just spamming case2, but I still don't know what its purpose is
>>
>>55077578
Well then fucking slip in your own shit then asshole
>>
>>55077791
double sided tape/velcro?
>>
>>55077791
Get a case with SSD slots where you want them
>>
>>55077826
yes but the thing is I just got this case

>>55077825
i wouldnt exactly call that non-ugly

I was wondering maybe you can buy those universal SSD racks /sliders/mounts and I can simply attach them somehow?
>>
>>55077882
Then you should have gotten the cases that did.Anything you try to do will be jimmyrigged and look like ass
>>
>>55077882
>Mounting completely hidden behind the SSD
>ugly
>>
>>55077907
yes but you need to be able to get them out easily

>>55077900
yes i know ive been looking for cases for so long but nothing was perfect

this one came closest in terms of the design i wanted and the price was great i got it for 100 bucks with free window, its just that i want a different SSD solution
>>
>>55077938
>Velcro
>Hard to remove
>>
I bought a new graphics card for gaming, but didn't realize power supply was an issue. The card says 500w and my power supply says 460w, but everything I've seen online says the card shouldn't use nearly that much.

Is that 500w just a suggestion? Could it possibly work with my 460w? Would it change things if I ran games at medium/high settings rather than max? Or should i just get a new power supply, and would that require checking even MORE requirements?
>>
>>55072500
If I sell a graphics card to a person and I let them register it instead of under my name, do they get to keep the warranty I would have under it? Or does the warranty stay with me? Or does it just become void?
>>
>>55077950
i want them in some sort of brackets so it looks like theyre supposed to be there

arent there any lose SSD brackets I could buy somewhere that might fit these spaces?
>>
>>55077966
Yes, the 'required' wattage is not absolute
If your PSU has the capacity for the power draw of your system you'll be fine.
>>
Is there anything I can do to get a neighbor to waddle to their mailbox?
>>
>>55077694
PLEASE
>>
After Python what would you learn C#, C++ or Java ?
>>
i just downloaded an exe file
i right clicked on it and malwarebytes said it was a trojan horse and then the file just dissapeared
was that just MB deleting the file or is there an actual possibility it caused some damage
i'm running a full scan right now
>>
>>55077984
No.
You dun goofed.
There is no way to mount them there, return your case and find a different one
Or buck up and use the case you choose

>Hello this is mcdonalds
>Yes ill have the crunchy gordita please
>this is mcdonalds sir
>well just get it done
>>
>>55078064
Buy new pc burn that one
>>
>>55078064
i mean left clicked it once
>>
Can someone give me a list or a chart of good fonts?
>>
Which browser is the best in terms of:

>Anonymity / Security
>Plugins / Extensions
>RAM usage
>Usability

I'm basically looking for a browser that isn't shit and won't track me or my preferences.
>>
>>55078162
Comic Sans and Papyrus are all you need.
>>
>>55078162
helvetica
arial
gill sans

that's it.
>>
I'm not sure how compression works, is it possible to burn an image of a 150 GB hard drive onto a single DVD?
>>
>>55078314
>is it possible to burn an image of a 150 GB hard drive onto a single DVD?
no. maybe bluray.
>>
>>55078179
tor browser or no browser at all
>>
>>55078314
Compression finds patterns in data and uses smaller bits of data to represent them
If your hard drive image was 150GB of mostly repeating text files you might be able to, but generally no.
>>
>>55078162
>>
>>55077976
Anyone?
>>
>>55078392
they should end up with the warranty
>>
>>55078416
Thanks
>>
What the fuck are ".webarchive" files and why does my mom think that downloading one of them is the proper way to save a webpage?
>>
>>55078314
(lossless) compression involves finding patterns and removing reduncancy

for example, take the following simple pattern:
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAABC
it can be simplified to something like;
>A{15}BC
this form takes up less space, despite carrying the same amount of information

to answer the question, you might be able to. it depends on how well the data on the hdd compresses
it would have to be rather empty or extremely redundant to achieve that kind of ratio though, you might have to use multiple dvd's
>>
Dell XPS 15 9550

yay or nay?
>>
>>55078496
Its the format safari uses to save a web page
>>
So i'm looking for 128gb ssd to add to my shit laptop, what would be the best choice (planing to buy samsung evo 830 so far). My budget is 100euros or preferably less.
>>
>>55078528
samsung or intel
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/
>>
>>55074933
Because your phone pretends to be a lower resolution than it is.
>>
>>55078509
Nay unless you travel a lot and literally have no way to access a desktop.
>>
>>55078179
>won't track me
Dont use the internet,thats really the only way
>>
>>55072500
okay so some of the shit ive learned of code academy doesnt work for the command prompt on my computer (i.e. rm doesnt delete shit del does)

why?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.