[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long does take to learn a programming language 1. If it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: shutterstock-programming.jpg (1012 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock-programming.jpg
1012 KB, 3888x2592
How long does take to learn a programming language
1. If it's anything more advanced than Python?
2. If it's Python?
>>
Dependent upon your prior experience with programming
>>
Just from what I have seen personally, it depends entirely on you.

I've seen retards slave away at C and C++ for months upon months and still have the most disgusting, mindless shit code I've ever seen, without grasping basic concepts. Then there are the opposite bunch, who understand the concepts and can apply them intuitively with little experience.
>>
>>55071155
None
>>
Days/weeks to learn, months/years to master.
>>
>>55071244
Mastering a programming language won't take months for a person who has no exposure to programming. No chance.
>>
>>55071298
If you're a NEET, I think it's possible.
>>
>>55071365
>If you're a NEET, I think it's possible.
I'm going to be doing IT at (community) college pham. How long will it take me then?
>>
>>55071239
Python you could get around to understanding in 20-40 hours of work, depending on how often you need to go back and review a topic. When I say "understand" I mean that you'd be able to read code line by line and understand the most fundamental pieces of it. You wouldn't be able to figure out the function of complex or advanced elements without studying them closely and using Google. As far as writing your own programs are concerned, you'd be able to make stuff which works but has absolutely no practical value.

If you want to go with a car analogy, at this beginning level you'd be able to look at a car engine and identify landmarks like the battery, the radiator, a hose, etc. You would not be able to look at an unfamiliar part and immediately discern its function. If you tried to get hands on you'd be able to attach belts but not be able to put together any functional assembly of the engine.

To learn Python to a more useful level, you'd need about twice more that initial investment. The first additional block of time would go toward advanced topics like less-known object methods and popular libraries. The other additional block of time would be devoted strictly to getting experience in writing code, troubleshooting mistakes and reviewing what you've written to find better ways to do it. At the end of that period you'll be able to use Python to do something, but in the sense of every project being a series of "Okay, how the fuck do I do this in Python?" It's like having all of the tools in your toolbox and having used them once or twice, but now needing to learn the procedure for the 500 most common repairs which a car might need.

When you expand beyond Python, I think there are two rough categories. The first is the set of languages like C or JavaScript where your only real headache is going to be getting used to stricter syntax rules. Python plays very fast and loose with the rules for writing code. The other set involves using tough math. Super tough.
>>
Learning the syntax is the easy part.

Applying it is the hard part. There's so much you won't be doing with the basic syntax and have to learn libraries etc. on your own.
>>
I've been programming for years and I still find new shit.
>>
>>55071138
>more advanced than Python
This is a bit of a fallacy. Typical programmers in a typical environment don't need to do anything for which Python is unsuitable.

The hard part of programming is understanding and applying the concepts.
>>
>>55071138
It took about five years to learn C with every little detail about definedness in the language specification. Amendments and compiler extensions still trip me up.
>>
>>55071138
Just start off with python. I have to use C and Java and many other languages for uni but work is just python and I love it. Get like $40 an hour in 2nd year of uni
>>
Also much more important than learning the language is learning how to find solutions to things you don't know. Learn how to read documentation, learn how to use google, learn how the concepts work and everything else will follow
>>
>>55071431
Never
>>
>>55071138
>more advanced than Python
by what definition or metric?
also, what is your prior programming experience?
>>
File: tumblr_o3ztc6Y9Do1ubipgjo1_400.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3ztc6Y9Do1ubipgjo1_400.gif
2 MB, 250x250
Html, php, mysqli, some WordPress/joomla/Magento experience , you get an easy 50-90k a year. (Provided you work remotely) It's easy and fun with all the instructions for anything you want to build on the interwebs and youtube for starters.
>>
Python is pretty easy to learn the basics of
>>
File: languague acquisition.jpg (49 KB, 398x268) Image search: [Google]
languague acquisition.jpg
49 KB, 398x268
This seems relevant.

Source: http://sns.cs.princeton.edu/docs/asr-oopsla13.pdf
>>
Lisp can be learnt in one hour, but it will take you much longer before you realise the power of it.
>>
>>55076012
>Lisp can be learnt in one hour, but it will take you much longer before you realise the power of it.

(((((((Lisp can be learnt in one hour, but it will take you much longer before you realise the power of it.)))))))
>>
>>55071138
>a programming language more advanced than Python

What? Doesn't exist.
>>
>>55071138

Depends on how developed is your logical thinking.

It is not a matter of "I'm too dumb for this shit", it is just that your mind hasn't understood well the concepts yet. So it is just a matter of practice, like anything in life.
>>
>>55071138

Depends entirely on your programming experience.

It took me a couple of days to get a medium-small complexity program working in python from nothing, but if you don't know what you are doing it could take you months to get to that level.

However, each language you try to learn after that will be easier.
>>
>>55075982

What an absolute shit graph.
>>
>>55071431
youre probably never even going to write a single piece of code except a little batch file
>>
>You forgot to cast that command line input to int
Cast?
>to make it the right data type
data...what?
forget it, how do I use loops
>have you ever used matlab?
...?

Python is shit. It tried to be easier and failed. Use Perl.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.