[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The older I get, the more I enjoy NOT buying new hardware. Be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: guardb.jpg (25 KB, 492x365) Image search: [Google]
guardb.jpg
25 KB, 492x365
The older I get, the more I enjoy NOT buying new hardware.

Be honest:
You don't need the latest "OMG GigaHurtz" CPU to be productive.
You won't be that much happier with the shiny new $1000 GPU.
Your brand new "smart" phone doesn't really improve your life.
>>
>>55070956
Nice blog
>>
You sound like an old man, tbqh fampai
>>
The older I get the less new shit costs as a % of my income. I spend my money on my motorcycles and pc and that's it, so I have way more money than I need.
>>
the older you get, the more you enjoy telling people boring shit too. looks like this thread is proof of that.
>>
>You don't need the latest "OMG GigaHurtz" CPU to be productive.
Yeah anything from the last 5-6 years is still great today.

>You won't be that much happier with the shiny new $1000 GPU.
Well when I go out of my way specifically to build a rig for gaming, yeah, I am happier. I just don't replace it every time a new generation comes out.

>Your brand new "smart" phone doesn't really improve your life.
Actually switching from Windows Phone to Android really did improve my life. There are lots of very useful apps that I simply didn't get to use before.
>>
>>55070956
t. Grandpa
>>
>>55070956

You're confusing getting older with the maturation of conventional technology. Things are genuinely progressing more slowly than they were before.

Or, they were. They're speeding back up again. Prepare your anus.
>>
at what age do you enjoy not buying stupid shit, but you keep your pointless internal commentary to yourself?
>>
>>55071187
>Or, they were. They're speeding back up again. Prepare your anus.

they're not. if anything it's slowing down even further.

t. someone who just bought a 2600k yesterday
>>
>>55071229

The 1070 is better than the 980Ti and costs half as much. Processors are getting down to sub-10nm. VR and 4K/5K/8K are going to ramp computing demands WAY the fuck up.
>>
I'm with you. Greed is ugly and hollow. Being materialistic will make you more miserable by being oblivious to things that do matter. It's not about what you want, it's about what you can do with everything you have. But we have been trained to do this by advertising consumerism which can lead to disaster and the wrong message to people.
>>
>>55070956
>You don't need the latest "OMG GigaHurtz" CPU to be productive.

Noticing that my old Phenom II 965 is old, so I will probably upgrade when I know the performance of Zen and can make a good, educated choice about my new CPU.

>You won't be that much happier with the shiny new $1000 GPU.

Nope. I will upgrade from a 5870 to an RX480.

>Your brand new "smart" phone doesn't really improve your life.

Still a HTC Desire lel
>>
>tfw materiel fetishist
I blow way too much of my disposable income on guns I don't need and PC hardware I don't need.

It makes me happy.
>>
>>55071256

all of the gains from these die shrinks are being rolled into perf/watt and the like. we aren't seeing tangible performance increases on the CPU front at all, and on the GPU front we're only getting incremental ~20% increases at this point.
>>
What about science? Hardware manufacturers need the money spent by gamers and enthusiasts to develop new architectures and faster chips, which in turn are used in super computers. If it weren't for gamers, our super computers would be thousands of times slower and much more expensive.
>>
>>55070956
Yes, it's not needed to have the latest and greatest if you are an average person doing average things on an average computer.

At the end of the day most of us just browse 4chan, play a game, watch a video or do assignments.

If you're the type of person who is compiling or doing heavily resource intensive work then it is necessary to have the latest and greatest gear. In fact you probably have a whole team working for you.

You're probably slowly realising that it's mostly just a waste of money to be upgrading all the time. In fact it doesn't really do anything, because you're just trying to impress people with what you have. And it doesn't work.
>>
>>55070956
pls don't post gay sandniggers, OP.
Thank you.
>>
>>55071915
>>55071915
>Implying computers only advance due to games
>Gamers pay electricity bills to power plants so power plants need to thank gaymers, thank you Gaben
>>>/v/
>>
>>55070956
Only with phones.
>>
>>55070956
Do you really need to get older to realize being a consumerist sheep is retarded? No shit you don't need to waste money on every new shiny toy, only niggers fall for that marketing shit.
>>
>>55072185
But it's true. Designing a chip costs tens of billions of dollars. My university just got a brand new nvidia supercomputer. You know what it cost? 30 million. That's nothing compared to what nvidia had to invest to even design the hardware (and then produce it as well).
Gamers are THE financial force that allows progress to be made.
>>
>>55071229
How much did you pay?
>>
>>55070956

yeap.

my computer is from 2008 and it's still perfectly fine for me. I'll buy a new one soon which i'm hoping will last 8 years or so as well.
>>
My main computer is a early 2011 Macbook Pro. Still runs fine but I'm about to upgrade the ram and put in an SDD which I'm hoping will make it good for at least 3 more years.
>>
>>55073212
Only partially, nvidia sells shit to lots of different universities.
Think about it, if they sell 100 supercomputers that's 3,000,000,000 dollars.
There are more than 100 universities that need supercomputers. Then you have companies and other clients.
The profit margins on professional end parts are ridiculously high compared to the more competitive (or at least it used to be competitive, thanks AMD) gaming market.
>>
>>55073683
You forget that they still have to produce the hardware. From these 30 million, maybe 3 million actually make it to nvidia (which is Nothing). Also, not all Supercomputers use nvidia hardware. And there aren't that many Supercomputers built every year. Does your university build a supercomputer every year? Mine doesn't.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.