[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT'S HAPPENING Elementary OS released a new beta! http
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: lokibeta.png (486 KB, 1600x2381) Image search: [Google]
lokibeta.png
486 KB, 1600x2381
IT'S HAPPENING

Elementary OS released a new beta!
https://elementary.io/developer

And it was released on the same day as Apple's WWDC!

WHAT A COINSIDENCE
>>
Why is this shit still in beta? Seriously I kind of forgot it even existed, but I first heard about it and tried it like 4 or 5 years ago.
>>
>>55067431
They had a stable release around 5 years ago. This is their first public beta since then.
>>
What does one thing have to do with the other? Did OS X get a new version?
>>
>>55067660
The main developers are Apple fanboys and try to copy a lot of macOS's design.
>>
>>55067817
And it just looks bad. Who's retarded idea was it to keep the dark lines in the icons?
>>
>>55067408
How is this still relevant?
>>
>>55067817
I used elementary for a year, it has a lot more in common with Gnome than with OS X. Having a dock and a grey window theme doesn't make it an OS X clone.
>>
>>55067913
Because it's exactly the right Linux distribution to hand to your family and give them as simple of an experience as they want but with the power and ease of troubleshooting at it's core as we expect as Linux users who have to support them? To be honest if it was an official spin or released directly beside the latest Ubuntu LTS releases, it would probably run on every computer I use other than my primary desktop, which tends to stick to Fedora.
>>
I wish Ubuntu would take a couple of queues from elementaryOS' menu. It's dead simple, clean, and doesn't have any of the strange sorting and lenses that the Unity Dash has that make it really disgusting to use. Unity would be perfectly usable if it wasn't for that terrible menu.
>>
>>55068014
>/g/ encouraging their family to use beta software
Sounds about right.
>>
>>55068014
>right Linux distribution to hand to your family
>can't even use icons on the desktop
>>
>>55068061
My 60 year old dad has no trouble using desktop icons on elementary, I can't fathom how a user from a technology board does.
>>
>>55067408
>using pantheon and not budgie
>>
>>55068047
Wasn't saying I would hand them this beta release, just this distribution in general, sperglord.
>>
>>55067839
post feet
>>
>it's not gentoo
dropped
>>
>>55068001
/g/ only likes windows clone DEs (KDE, LXDE, XFCE, etc.)
>>
Can I finally map the super key to open Slingshot and quickly search? When I used elementary it looked as if that was literally impossible and I gave up.

I use Fedora now and it's become my distro of choice. If you really like the look of elementary/macOS, it's extremely easy to replicate it in GNOME and do so much more. Why even bother?
>>
File: cagesnow.jpg (19 KB, 600x317) Image search: [Google]
cagesnow.jpg
19 KB, 600x317
>>55068145
I'll second this.
>>
>https://elementary.io/developer
>Vala. A Modern, Fast, Open Source Language.

aren't all programming languages open source ??
>>
>>55067817
>macOS
The thing I hate about this is that they just made Mac OS worse.
>>
>>55068155
No. Some are not.
>>
>>55068178
examples?
>>
>>55068181
Delphi
>>
>>55068181
ColdFusion is another one.
>>
>>55068267
that's a company, though
>>
Using it for my media laptop. Still my family members found it confusing to operate... but it takes seconds to boot up
>>
>>55068145
>>55068153
If you have to spend any time ricing, then you broke the "just werks" philosophy.
>>
>>55068073
Elementary finally added desktop icons?
>>
>>55068302
But ricing is my favorite part of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55068670
You came to the wrong distro.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.