[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so... due to stupid reasons, I submerged my Galaxy S5 under
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (125 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
125 KB, 1920x1080
Ok, so... due to stupid reasons, I submerged my Galaxy S5 under water at a hot spring for a good 30 minutes.

The phone stopped working. Then I dried it out. I put it under a hair dryer and sun for a while.

It started back up, but these features completely stopped working:

>Sound not playing, not on speaker or regular
>Bluetooth antenna not broadcasting or connecting (can't use bluetooth headset anymore)
>Video not playing with the stock media player. VLC will still play the video (with no sound).
>I can't make proper calls. The calls don't carry sound, and the call won't even go through all the way.
>Cannot record video. But I can take photos.

Everything else is working fine. Gyro-meter. Map. Camera for still pictures.

I did a full reset of the phone, and it still has the same symptoms.

What could be causing only those systems to be affected?

Is it a shorted chip?

The S5 is water resistant. So if you try to dry it out, it takes very long time. I decided to leave the door off and just leave it in the sun for a while, but it still didn't fix the issues.

I thought because I left it in a hot spring; the sulfur may have dried on some connectors, so I left the phone in some distilled water for a while to dilute the sulfur and dried it out again. But the features still haven't started working.

Any help?

I'm debating whether I should take the phone apart to clean the circuits. But for that, you need to take the screen off with a heat gun.
>>
Pull the battery.

Looks like you still have liquid inside it

(Cont)
>>
>>55066102
You already fucked up by drying it out in the sun and with a fucking hair dryer, not to mention you also fucked up by turning it on. You should've left that shit in a bunch of rice for at least 48 hours.
>>
>>55066102
>1806 + some centuries
>he doesn't know about rice
>>
Haha yeah that is stupid. Shouldn't you have a handler preventing you from doing these sorts of things? Or are you poor or something
>>
>>55066127
>>55066147
Rice is just a bad meme. It doesn't work.
>>
a) why would you even need a phone on you in hot springs
b) should have left it rice,as >>55066127 said
c) pull it apart (if you know what you're doing) and check for damage
d) bring it into a recycle center and throw it away
>>
>>55066102
(Cont)

Now that the urgent part is done, you can either leave your phone in a jar of uncooked rice for a week, or disassemble it.

The s5 is a bitch because you need to remove the screen to get inside it.

Ifixit has a guide, but look for a couple more to get a better idea.

Look at the pcb for obvious signs of damage

Once its dry, ppwer on again.

If the problems still appear then you damaged your motherboard.

New one will cost between 90-250$, depending on quality, etc
>>
>>55066166
Your face is a bad meme. Rice works wonders.
>>
File: B1D1vEl.jpg (12 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
B1D1vEl.jpg
12 KB, 400x384
>>55066166
Are you literally retarded? Rice is one of the few things that actually works wonders.
>>
>>55066166
>passive water absorption
>doesn't work
ok
>>
>>55066166
>Waiting for the bus in the middle of winter
>Bus arrives
>Slip on ice, fall, S II falls into a huge slush puddle for a few seconds
>Get home later and put phone in a container of rice for 48-72 hours
>Phone works again with no problems
>>
>>55066102

>A FUCKING HAIR DRYER AND SUN

you might as well get the SD card out of the poor bastard and recycle the thing OP.
>>
File: 1866018-gamer_girl.jpg (102 KB, 678x678) Image search: [Google]
1866018-gamer_girl.jpg
102 KB, 678x678
>>55066190
How could water damage the mobo with such a low voltage?

Shit... yeah, I guess I'll have to open it up. I hate having to do this, because I know taking the screen off will reduce the water resistance even more.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.