[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CPU Build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: PC Build.png (46 KB, 1475x245) Image search: [Google]
PC Build.png
46 KB, 1475x245
Hi /g/, finally got some money saved up and want to join the PC master race. I was looking at going for a build in the Outstanding tier of pic related but upon further consideration would it be worth it to pay marginally more for a better CPU, motherboard and power supply in the Exceptional tier? Let's say my most intensive objective is to play 2016 and beyond FPS releases in 1080p but could live with using lower settings.

I could stick with one of the cheaper cases still no? Monitor and keyboard suggestions are also welcome.

Pls no bully :3
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>55064667
fuck off redditdrone pcmr is this way >>>/v/
>>
Wait for Zen
>>
>>55064682
I don't trust them, would you?
>>
>>55064667
Can you afford to have your PC be more powerful than you need? Then do it, cause why the fuck not. Are you a poorfag that really just cares about his gaymin? Stick with the lower tier build.
>>
>>55064690
Any day now...
>>
>>55065332
Eh, I have about 8k in the bank and just started a new job so I'm not pinching pennies but have always felt bad about being wasteful with money.

The GTX 1070s are all out of stock at $450 atm anyways though. People are saying the price will come down in the following weeks through 3rd parties, anybody know what kind of price drop to expect?
>>
Looking at other boards I'm seeing people use much cheaper motherboards with similar specs am I missing something here?
>>
>>55065779
*builds
>>
>>55065537
I understand not wanting to be wasteful, but the i7 is only 100$ more than the i5. If you have money to spend, why not splurge on one of the most important components?

As far as motherboards, look at the spec sheets for the exceptional tier ones and see if they add anything you want. I chose a UD3 over the UD5 for my i7 build because I don't need dual LAN, and while I could have used two extra sata ports, it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Other than that, you only have a small difference in cost between the two tiers of PSU, and as far as cases I go, I have the Enthoo Pro and I love it. Very easy to build in, good cable management routing, huge ass fan at the front that pushes a lot of air while being quieter than multiple 120's.

At the moment, few games would hugely benefit from an i7 since they can't take advantage of that many threads, but that could change in the future.
>>
>>55064667
Literally wait till October.

Best case: you get a Zen if they are good and cheap

Worst case: you get a good intel at a lower price to fuck Zen
>>
>>55065841
Thank you.

I'm probably overbuilding for my needs now but I am looking at this as a long term investment so splurging on processing might be worth it.

The Enthoo Pro seems to be a popular good value case but it's a bit brutalist looking imo. I think I'll follow your lead on the UD3 after researching a bit what my needs are.

>>55065896
My current computer is quite unstable so I don't think I want to risk waiting. Could always upgrade if it's worth it ja?
>>
>>55065992
Not a bad way to look at it. My last build lasted me 7 years and could still play Witcher 3, 1080p at 30fps with an HD7950.

Zen is AMD, so you'd need a new motherboard too.
>>
>>55065537
Don't listen to >>55065841.
Buy for what you need, do some research on your own if need be. An i7 gets you no performance boost unless you do something that utilizes that many threads e.g. video editing, rendering, and the likes. I wouldn't look at computers as long term investments. The computing industry pushes out new advancements way faster than other industries so just purchase what you need and then upgrade as you see fit.
>>
>>55066822
Hm well I know time moves fast in computer tech, by long term I do mean <5 years. My hope is an i7 and getting my hands on a GTX 1070 would have me pretty well set for several years of game release specs right and the rest of the build is a matter of preference.

I guess your suggestion is that by the time I might need to fully take advantage of what an i7 offers over an i5 the $100 difference would be better put towards the new generation of tech?
>>
>>55067050
Pretty much.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.