[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best linux distro for hacking? I would say kali linux. What does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: linux-154544_960_720.png (157 KB, 594x720) Image search: [Google]
linux-154544_960_720.png
157 KB, 594x720
Best linux distro for hacking? I would say kali linux. What does /g/ think about this?
>>
>>55056645
Any distro, it doesn't matter.
>>
File: elementary-os-icon.png (21 KB, 757x410) Image search: [Google]
elementary-os-icon.png
21 KB, 757x410
If you have to ask, it looks like ElementaryOS is the right distro for you! <3
>>
File: cirno hit;er.jpg (25 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
cirno hit;er.jpg
25 KB, 460x460
ubuntu
>>
I tried to install Kali. It wouldn't boot from a stick. I had lots of other stuff to do, so I didn't bother to get deeper into it.

But I'm still interested and will watch this thread.

There's a couple of books out there like "Penetration Testing with Kali Linux", "Black Hat Hacking with Kali Linux" etc.
>>
>>55056700
OP here thx for the information about the books faggot i'm gonna check 'em out
>>
>>55056691
Kali does have a lot of hacking tools in their repos that other distros like Debian, arch, Ubuntu and Gentoo don't. Kali is probably the quickest in getting all tools ready.
>>
>>55056857
>hacking tools in kali are not in Debian Gentoo etc
You're not the brightest guy in your class rite?
>>
>>55056942
They have their own repos, I've experienced tools that are installed on default on kali are not in their repos. What are you exactly implying?
>>
>>55056645
You could also give BlackArch a try. They have quite a few tools in the repos.
>>
>>55057026
Install these repos... done..
>>
Python.

This thread really hurt my heart
>>
>>55057102
Clearly the repos would collide, it would be better to install kali in the first place.
>>
>>55057480
Kali isnt light enough imo.
>>
>>55056942
>Package availability = pentest distro
You speak like a dumb wincuck
>>
>>55056645
windows 10
>>
>hacking
>kali
So this is the 12 years old containment thread, right?
>>
Good job mr pingu
>>
>>55056645
>be working helpdesk like 2 years ago
>have dumbass coworker like 10 years older than me who wants to be a 1337 hacker
>guess he finds out about kali linux
>wont shut up about it
>tell him he should just learn the tools included with kali one by one, start with wireshark and nmap which i already have on the debian box i set up
>ignores my advice, takes him literally 2 weeks just to install kali...
>so proud of all the leet hacking hes gonna do with his new kali laptop
>i change his root password and bet him 50 bucks he cant change it back using single user mode
>still have that 50 bucks

also wrote a psexec script that would change his background to pictures of macho man randy savage but thats unrelated
>>
>>55059863
Was it Kali 2 years ago? I thought backtrack was the pen test OS of choice then. Maybe I'm just losing track of time though.
>>
>>55060311
dont worry anon is trolling again
>>
>>55057026
just compile them dumbass
>>
>>55060311
backtrack got renamed kali about two years ago iirc
>>
>>55057026
AUR, add the repo, or compile. It's pretty fucking easy.
>>
>>55060311
this was probably like november or december 2014 - either that or my memory is playing tricks on me

>>55060382
not trolling, this was a windows shop and literally everyone except the 2 most seniors guys were absolutely terrified of the command line, which sucked because i developed a bunch of nice powershell tools for them that they never used.
>>
Kali
Backbox is pretty cool too
>>
>>55061005
>>55061111
... Which is inferior to having them in the repo by default.
Are you completely missing out of the context?
>>
>>55059863
You're doing God's work
>>
File: did_you_mean_gnu_linux.png (3 KB, 228x56) Image search: [Google]
did_you_mean_gnu_linux.png
3 KB, 228x56
>>55056645
If you mean "hacking" as a cracking, then I heard that Kali is good for it; if you mean that as a traditional meaning of hacker culture, you can choose literally any distro: even it isn't one of the GNU+Linux distro, like Android(it is technically a Linux distro, but not GNU), GNU+Hurd, BSD, MacOSX(recently change its name to macOS though), Windows etc.
>>
Archlinux without a doubt.
You have all the latest shit. Actuel real engineer are using this distro. The maintain THE linux wiki. You can install everthing that kali linux has and more.

Also, KaliLinux is for noobs.
>>
>>55057602
>being so poor you need a light distro
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.