[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I help my family with their computer problems without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: slightly confused miyako.jpg (335 KB, 454x558) Image search: [Google]
slightly confused miyako.jpg
335 KB, 454x558
How do I help my family with their computer problems without being called for every single issue they have and being the one to blame when they fuck their install up 6 months later?
>>
>>55056110
Team Viewer if your looking to remote hotfix
>>
Give them a standard user account and make yourself the admin with your own password.

If you live far away, then also set up some form of remote desktop connectivity.
>>
File: 1465817344504.gif (2 MB, 311x223) Image search: [Google]
1465817344504.gif
2 MB, 311x223
>>55056110
Be a faggot and give them guest privileges
>>
You cant. Old people are retarded
>>
>>55056110
>and being the one to blame when they fuck their install up 6 months later
if they blame you for something 6 months later, perhaps your shouldnt touch anything in the first place. da fuck kind of family does that anyway?
>guest account (pass on admin)
>"lockdown" type antivirus
>everything auto-updates
>browser unable to install/remove addons
>ads and known malware dns blocked at gateway level
>...
>kys
>>
>>55056182
My mom is in her 60's now... so help me...
>>
charge them a symbolic dollar. people are greedy and won't annoy you for bullshit
>>
Most people are fucking ignorant when it comes to the computer and networking.
>>
Buy them a mac. It takes longer for them to fuck it up.
>>
You help your family not matter what happens nigger.

They can't blame you for something you did for free. If it is too troublesome to ask you, the will take the computer to a shop.
>>
>>55056110
Start charging money.
>>
>>55058633
b-b-but it's my family!
>>
>>55056110
You doomed yourself to this the moment you became so much as able to put an add-on in a Web browser. There is no sadder example of learned helplessness than that which arises from having someone do tech. My old man, for example, simply won't touch a command prompt, a .ini or any remnants of the DOS days anymore since I took over and now has become like a woman when it comes to bemoaning any issues in UI or configuration (this atop some rather asinine criticisms of code I write to help him control some instruments at work). My sister took it to a whole new level as the ungrateful little shit outright didn't use a laptop I got her because it was not a MacBook and, upon using it, somehow managed to get the now unavailable for Windows Safari and bypass all the setup I did to let her comfortably use Chrome or firefox. I still get called in under the auspices of familial solidarity to help out, with my parents just chalking up her intentional ignorance as something that can't be helped. You learn to get used to it, it's not worth becoming estranged from your family to sperg out and complain about something that is so deeply entrenched in society.
>>
Install an adblocker.
I installed it on all my relatives computers, now they never call about viruses.
>>
>>55056110
Don't help them at all, ever.
>>
Give them Windows 10 and a recovery disk
If they fuck up a lot show them how to use disk to reset
>>
Get everyone a Chromebook and call it a day
>>
For at least a decade I have tried to drill into my family to always reboot the device before they come to me. Have they ever done it once in that 10 years? Nope. Does it fix their problem 99% of the time? Yes, of course, that's why I always TELL THEM TO FUCKING REBOOT. Tech illiterates are a lost cause. At least they don't blame me for their own ignorance like yours does, OP.
>>
Charge them for your services, tell them it's too complex and takes a lot of hard work. Maybe just 20$ if you like them more than other family members.

Also run
tree C:\
while you "wait" for things to "finalize" after you've installed a fresh OS + drivers and maybe a cheap $40 120GB SSD if they agree to have one installed (always make them pay for that shit nigga).

2 things will happen:
>you will be rolling deep in benjamins
>family members will stop bugging you to help them fix their virus infested laptops in fear of paying a staggering $20-40 that could bankrupt them

You win every time.
>>
>>55056110
>>55058776
"I'm sorry but i have no clue what to do, I haven't used windows in months"

also

"I don't fucking know"

works pretty good too.
I told my parents that the moment they got tablets instead of laptops that I can no longer help them as I don't use them, Thankfully I'm never asked about software now, only "how do i reset/restart/hard reboot the device" when it crashes and they have no access to the internet outside of said device
>>
1. install ubuntu and theme it to look like windows
>hurr hurr imma linux expert and this won't work, "they won't understand"
your funeral psuedo-lord
2. tape instructions printed on paper next to the phone and write "IN CASE OF INTERNET EMERGENCY" or something like that, boomers live and die on paper
3. think about charging them or at least wait a week to make them sweat to make them respect your time more so they don't expect you out in hours
4. set the router and modem to reboot itself every night if you can
you dug your own grave on this one, these are basically the only way out
>>
also block ad domains like google if you can, no amount of "STOP FUCKING CLICKING ON THE YELLOW ADS" will stop this.
>>
>>55056110
"I don't use Windows."
>>
>>55066007
Their retort is 'you'll figure it out faster'
>>
I don't mind helping, but I hate it when I'm expected to be psychic.
> anon what's my password I forgot it
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.