[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is hardware now so flimsy compared to the 80s? That shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: IBM terminal vs Macbook.jpg (162 KB, 1464x452) Image search: [Google]
IBM terminal vs Macbook.jpg
162 KB, 1464x452
Why is hardware now so flimsy compared to the 80s? That shit looked like it was designed to survive nuclear armageddon.
>>
>>55055796
because when you're paying 10 grand, it better be overbuilt
>>
Normalfags think lighter and smaller means it's better
>>
>>55055796
modern engineering is about minimizing cost while still barely meeting the spec
>>
>>55055796

>dad was into computer science in the 80s
>find heavy screen with big ass metal shielding
>switch it on
>high frequency squeak that makes my ear bleed
>green light from cathode ray tube shoots into my eyes
>my eye hurt, why can't I see?
>you can literally feel the cancer grow in your head
>manage to switch it off just in time
>after a few minutes I can see again

Right anon, totally cool...
>>
>>55055796
Because I wouldn't buy a piece of shit that looked like that today.
>>
I like oldschool...
>enjoy your eyes bleeding
>>
Because it's
a) much much lighter
b) much much less bulkier

Try carrying that IBM terminal around all day
>>
>>55055824
>modern engineering
This has always been what engineering is about, not just modern.
>>
>>55055995
no, good old engineering was about building things to last
>>
>>55055796
Why would most companies (especially Apple!) want you or anyone to have a product that would last forever. They want you to buy!
>>
>>55056040
No. If lasting was part of the spec, then yes. But the rule was and always be cheapest as possible and still function.
>>
>>55055796
The later can be dropped from 2 meters height. The former will break in thousand pieces.
>>
File: 1465689912373.jpg (149 KB, 500x478) Image search: [Google]
1465689912373.jpg
149 KB, 500x478
>>55055796
Good time with breaking your back
>>
The hardware today is miles more reliable than it was in the 70s-early 90s. Especially hard disks and DRAM. I've never had a hard disk go bad on any post-1995 PC except due to stupid stuff I did. RAM failures? Never seen that at all on anything with 72 pin SIMMs or up.
>>
Eh...
>>
>>55055803
This. Computers are a lot cheaper now.

Also they built computer that could survive nuclear armageddon because we were on the brink of nuclear armageddon senpai.
>>
File: 1465511188371.gif (842 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1465511188371.gif
842 KB, 480x270
>>55055879
>>>green light from cathode ray tube shoots into my eyes
>>my eye hurt, why can't I see?
>>you can literally feel the cancer grow in your head
>>manage to switch it off just in time
>>after a few minutes I can see again
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.