[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is installing linux a good way to force yourself to stop wasting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: zjZyccF.png (91 KB, 290x341) Image search: [Google]
zjZyccF.png
91 KB, 290x341
is installing linux a good way to force yourself to stop wasting time playing video games
>>
No, that would be called a job.
>>
>>55050253
if by "linux" you mean gentoo, then yes

tl;dr: install gentoo
>>
>>55050253
There are many /g/ projects to stop wasting time on manchild hobbies such as playing vidya.

Start with seting up your personal cloud or email server
>>
File: 1456160355474.jpg (1 MB, 1500x977) Image search: [Google]
1456160355474.jpg
1 MB, 1500x977
>>55050253
Worked for me, depends on how much time you spend gaymen. In my case I wasn't playing as much as I normally did.
I'd play like 10 minutes of TF2 per day and then get bored. Single-player games felt like work so I just said fuck it.

Just look at pic related and ask yourself why do you allow yourself to get scammed like that.
>>
Cab confirm, worked for me.
>>
>>55050253
No, because then you'll spend all your time for the next month or two ricing. Get a job if you don't have one. If you do, start going to the gym (if you aren't already), or get into other hobbies.
>>
>>55050253
You will just that time on reddit or playing agario or some even more useless way to waste time. The you will install some chrome addon to block those sites. Then you will another even more useless way to waste time.
>>
>>55050253
you'll just waste time on something else, senpai
>>
>>55050253
I've installed Arch Linux and got a job because of it a few months after. Turned out that the team was all using Linux and I was the only candidate who had Linux.
>>
I became the equivalent of Terry Davis when it came to browsing the internet when I switched to Linux. I was going to learn stuff but I have no motivation.
>>
No. I play lots of games on linux, including some that I personally got working with wine, which is surely a greater waste of time than most things.
>>
Yes, installing Linux made me lose every will to even use a computer again
>>
>>55050253
It's a losing strategy OP because you aren't addressing the deeper issue. If you have a compulsion to play games, placing a small barrier like that will not work long term because as soon as you end up in the same enabling environment as before the addiction will roar back again. Same goes with compulsively browsing websites and installing a blocking extension to supposedly increase your productivity.

The only real solution is to find some better habits to replace your earlier ones. For instance you might consider taking up chess or cubing to replace vidya. Those things are still a waste of time but they will at least be one level closer to reality and might give you a cognitive workout as well.

From then on you can work towards building an active life and getting worthwhile hobbies. Anything that occupies your time and produces something useful is worthwhile. Cooking, reading nonfiction, exercise... Start with one habit at a time or you will burn out.
>>
>>55050253
Nope. Most major games run on Linux these days.
>>
File: pixels5.gif (639 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pixels5.gif
639 KB, 1920x1080
>>55050253
Honestly my GPA improved when I switched to linux, and all I did was code, school work, workout, and repeat. I have a desktop at home for games but I left it home. Now all I need is qt3.14 to make sweet sweet love to.
>>
OP the simple answer is no. You can still play a lot of shit on it. If you are like me and love emulation you're out of luck.
>>
It can be a step if, like me, you use Linux because it's the only way to make an awful computer run decently. Using an awful computer, with Linux no less, is very effective at preventing gaming.
>>
>>55050253
You'll waste your time on tiling window managers.

So stay with vidya.
>>
Didn't for me. It just takes longer to start than the loading times because now I have to log out of linux and boot up Windows.

Still, just today my Windows almost exploded and I had to delete and re-patch league of legends with a 4g connection. That's 2 gigs at 400kbps. Fuck no I'm not going to do that with a 5gig cap.

So, in closing, I'd say that if you want to spend less time on internet games just get a 4g connection and stop paying for your cable connection. I can still be productive on linux this way but can't manage much other than a few games every week through this connection because shared connection, time for sleep, data cap and regular updates.
>>
>>55050253
Trying to get video games working on Linux is a better waste of time.

Also educational
>>
File: 45674.png (233 KB, 620x634) Image search: [Google]
45674.png
233 KB, 620x634
>>55050253
Tfw dwarf fortress is pretty much the only game I play and I've been up 30 hours.
>>
>>55050285
more of these suggestions please, i've already done a home cloud solution and i fucked around with a setting up a ldap server but didn't really learn much.
>>
>>55055166
this, and you'll feel like you're working a lot harder, people will probably notice a change in you, like you're tired but satisfied with what you've been spending that energy on, the kind of aura people respect
>>
>>55050253
I tried. Now I play autistic open source games.
>>
>>55050253
No. I don't play games because I've found them to be boring for the last 10 years or so.

But I surely do waste my time on the computer like being on the internet for 16 hours a day. And you can do that on Linux also, and it's a lot worse then playing a video game.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.