[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Linux Mint exist? It should be an Ubuntu spin called
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: cinnamon.png (316 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon.png
316 KB, 1920x1200
Why does Linux Mint exist?

It should be an Ubuntu spin called Cinnaubuntu or something. Does the Mint team actually modify anything?
>>
>>55047359

Well the Mint devs did create their own Mint-specific software. Namely the menu thingy.

Most distros don't do that though.
>>
>>55047359
Yes.
>>
>>55047359
>Does the Mint team actually modify anything?
Yeah, they cause a bunch of package name conflicts and take a lot longer to push out updates causing security issues.
>>
>>55047441
Didn't Mint also get pwn'd recently, where the ISOs on their sites contained malware? Or something like that?
>>
>>55047441

I thought you could get security updates on time by using dist-upgrade
>>
Why's everybody going on about Mint today? Has something happened?

Yes, it's shit. It gave birth to Cinnamon, which is okay, but I found it appalling out of date and slower than Forrest Gump trying to do long division.
>>
>>55047636

They released a new beta version
>>
File: 1379031594918.jpg (40 KB, 600x491) Image search: [Google]
1379031594918.jpg
40 KB, 600x491
>>55047653
>>
I know right?

I like Cinnamon myself a lot, but I don't want no fucking Mint. I just want the DE.
>>
>>55047783
Arch
>>
>>55047457
No. The website got hacked for less than a day so a direct download linked pointed to an offsite ISO. Torrents were unaffected and the ISO didn't match the hash for the proper ISO.

Hipsters like to blow it out of proportion, because they feel threatened by Mint.
>>
>>55047822
Only sensible option tbf, unless you want to compile it yourself. I think the best (as in newest and pre-riced) Cinnamon I've used was in Antergos. But maybe now other distros have caught up so there isn't that big feature gap, I haven't used it for months.
>>
File: 1459826271562.png (9 KB, 168x200) Image search: [Google]
1459826271562.png
9 KB, 168x200
>>55047636
>slower than Forrest Gump trying to do long division
>>
>>55047359
Cannonical does not care anymore. Otherwise Cubuntu would exist.
>>
>>55047636
Cinnamon is the best gtk DE
>>
>>55047847
>Hipsters like to blow it out of proportion, because they feel threatened by Mint.
No one on the face of the planet feels threatened by a linux distro.

The issue is that while Mint is loved by many people, the devs do a horrible job keeping the users safe. Nothing is being blown out of proportion. The devs don't deliver a quality product. And instead of addressing the security issues they whine about how people who point out the issues aren't being helpful:
>Somebody who communicates like that isn’t trying to solve a problem.

I feel bad for the Mint userbase. If the easy to use distro I use all of a sudden was found to be insecure, I wouldn't know what to do. You become accustomed to a distro, and having to change to something else would suck.
>>
>>55047636
>slower than Forrest Gump trying to do long division.
You, you're funny. I like you.
>>
>>55048536
Hipsters feel threatened by MInt because Mint is very user friendly, even my parents feel right at home using it, and they have only ever used windows, poorly at that.

This threatens the hipsters and their "sekret klub" because they can no longer pretend to "1337" if even people's parents can use Linux easily.

If you legitimately felt that way about security then you wouldn't be using Linux in the first place. Linus repeatedly refuses to allow any security features to be added to the Kernel.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.