[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I picked up one of those mini soldering irons from massdrop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 110990479 1.jpg (155 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
110990479 1.jpg
155 KB, 700x525
So I picked up one of those mini soldering irons from massdrop a while back. I've never soldered anything in my life and have no idea what kind of projects I should be getting started with. I don't have have any EE knowledge, either. I am an SE by profession, though, so hardware/embedded programming should not be an insurmountable leap.

Do any EE types hang around /g/? If you do, what should I be doing?
>>
solder a processeor
>>
>>55046730
There's a lot you can do with an soldering iron but you should narrow down your interests. Truth be told all s soldering does is place components and remove them. Really depends on what kind of electronic circuits you want to make.Visit /diy/ for a more insightful response.
>>
>>55046758
Like Ahmed
>>
In order to git gut with an iron you just need mindless practice. Its a skill that needs to developed.
Try and make an LED matrix. start with a 3x3x3 and than if you feel like it expand maybe make a 3d clock ahmed.

This will give you some decent practice time for dirt cheap and if you bring it to school you might get invited to MIT or the White house.

Apart from that get your hands on some old boards (like 1970 radios) and desolder components from it.

As far as actual projects you wont solder that much. Most people use breadboards for early prototypes and cad stuff for the circuit before they inevitably ship it to china to be made by children, their small hands make for much grater precision and they get played less.
>>
>>55047575
also for general circuit design and project ideas:
>The Art of Electronics 3rd Edition
>>
>>55046730
I soldered hundreds of cables and often spent hours of rework on jobs, now that i think of it what a fucking waste of time. Should've badgered the designeers to use off the shelf cables. OP you don't need an iron unless you're building boards off oshpark.
>>
>>55046768
>>55047575
>>55047616
Cool, thanks guys.

>>55047773
In your opinion, where would the time be better spent for someone trying to get into EE?
>>
>>55046730
Got an old xbox360 laying around? want to use the controler for somthing else?
Try this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Xbox-Controller-Receiver-for-PC/?ALLSTEPS

It's as easy as it looks
>>
File: 1465741777368.jpg (19 KB, 474x218) Image search: [Google]
1465741777368.jpg
19 KB, 474x218
>>55046730
burn wood. really relaxing.
>>
File: 1465741911059.jpg (55 KB, 631x470) Image search: [Google]
1465741911059.jpg
55 KB, 631x470
make holes in plastic
>>
Go find some old electronics that people threw away like an old dvd player or something and practice soldering and desoldering components. You're probably going to fuck up so you don't want to gain experience by messing with something you actually want
>>
File: DSC_0095.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0095.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>55046730
You can start by modifying things around the house. I use mine mainly for repairing purposes, mostly cables and replacing components. Or just mod some stuff by making a hole on them with it. Stuff I've used my soldering station on;
>repair my netbook backlight FFC cable
>combine my galaxy s3 battery for double capacity
>mod my old PSU for extra switches to turn AC fans on/off
>IR blaster out of 3.5mm audio phone cable
>repair/extend my usb cable charger
>burn holes on my old ITX casing as it doesnt really have any for ventilation and I dont have a dremel
>kill bees, lizards and roaches with it. Sizzling.
>>
>>55046730

Really it's better to think of it as just a tool. Similar how to use a usb stick.

If you really want practice just buy some kits.
http://www.electronickitsbychaneyelectronics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C6959
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (245 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
245 KB, 1920x1080
>>55046730
You can build multirotors or mess around with RC stuff.
>>
I use a soldering iron everyday, i'm and auto-elec / electro comms tech, always soldering cannon plugs - to ant bulkheads and through hole components - to battery lugs. I learnt soldering by soldering and desoldering hundred pin cannon plugs for a couple days. Hint, you want a medium heat, not to hot to cause dry joints, not to cool that the solder solidifies half way through. Try what some said before and solder up a led matrix or buy some diy kits
>>
File: 1441220942723.jpg (204 KB, 731x960) Image search: [Google]
1441220942723.jpg
204 KB, 731x960
>>55046730
>projects are the means
>using this tool is the end
>>
555 LED blinker is a pretty good electronics hello world project.
>>
>>55049068
>>55049099
These if you want to destroy your fancy expensive iron asap. Use a $10 plugin iron for this shit.
>>
>>55046730
Dave from the EEVblog youtube channel has a few soldering videos that offer some good insight. I'm a EE grad student and solder almost daily. Some tips for ya:
Don't keep your iron on the highest temperature setting. You'll just burn out your tip that way. I keep mine on 300 C for lead bearing solder and rarely change it.
If you have one of these tip cleaners https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-02-Solder-Cleaning-Holder/dp/B00FZPGDLA it will help your tips last longer than using a wet sponge.
Never use a conical tip unless you absolutely have to. Those things are garbage and offer terrible heat transfer. Chisel tips are much better.
Heat the pad and the component to be soldered.
Hakko's website has several videos and pages describing good soldering practices and theory. It's definitely worth looking at.
>>
Mass drop is a complete scam
>>
>>55047616
>>The Art of Electronics 3rd Edition
>recommending this book to a noob who just bought a soldering iron

anon... I...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.