[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good program for all purpose converting? Meaning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1429056239858.jpg (52 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1429056239858.jpg
52 KB, 500x373
What's a good program for all purpose converting?

Meaning mp4 to mp3. WMV to flac. etc.

I keep finding programs that can do one type of conversion or only from video to video but I can't find an all purpose one.

I checked the wiki and this is pretty much nonexistent on there.
>>
>>55044465
ffmpeg
>>
>>55044473
How about one that has a GUI?

I've got quite a few I want to do and I would rather not have to type them all out via command line.
>>
>>55044907
There are plenty of GUIs for ffmpeg, any of which you can find with a quick google search. It is the be all and end all of general conversion software.
Also the point of command line software is automation. If you're typing everything out, you're doing it wrong. You don't necessarily have to use the command line version, but you seem to be misinformed.
>>
>>55044963
Maybe you or I misunderstood each other but I've tried a couple of GUI for ffmeg now and they only allow me to go from video format to another video format. Not from video format to audio format which is what I actually need.

I don't know enough about ffmpeg to argue but it seems to only deal with video formats.
>>
>>55044465
If you faggot don't use FFmpeg but some shitty Wonderwiz XY Converter with a GUI you're literally retarded. FFmpeg is incredibly powerful and actually does what it's suppposed to, like copying only the audiostream of a video, cutting it, etc. while the other GUI tools reencode the whole damm thing which results in unnecessary quality loss. Just google "ffmpeg extract audio" you dumbshit.
>>
ffmpeg

gui's are too inflexible for truly all-purpose programs like ffmpeg
>>
>>55045104
those are limitations with the GUIs you used

ffmpeg deals with just about any kind of media (still images, video, audio, subtitles, gifs, etc)

you can indeed extract audio track(s) out of a video file as-is, or converted to another format
>>
>>55044465
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.mp3
ffmpeg -i input.wmv output.flac

in the most basic form (just letting it use defaults for things like bitrate)
ffmpeg is quite easy to use, and can read/write just about any kind of media
>>
>>55046817
oh yea, ffmpeg can do remuxing as well

so for example, you could do;
ffmpeg -i video.wmv -c copy output.wma

to extract the first audio track from a wmv without re-encoding it (no loss in quality, and is also very quick)
>>
>>55044465
>What's a good program for all purpose converting?
> Meaning mp4 to mp3. WMV to flac. etc.

PowerAmp, obviously
>>
>>55046576
>>55046725
>>55046749
>>55046817
>>55046865
>>55046939

Thanks for the help but you guys are really stuck on using command line which I have no clue how to use and I've got about twenty conversions I want to do.

Frankly it would be faster for me to download them in the proper format than try to learn how to do this and input it a bunch of times.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.