[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>14.2 release imminent >uses 4.4.12 kernal >no systemd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: images (1).jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>14.2 release imminent
>uses 4.4.12 kernal
>no systemd
>no special snowflake patches

Will you try it?

Or is no gui installer actually a dealbreaker for some?
>>
>>55042208

How is Patrick Volkerding not dead yet? Didn't he cough up a lung?
>>
Nope. Arch is just fine.
>>
>>55042208
Arch > Slackware

Sorry grandpa
>>
>>55042442

Dead heads seem to live forever
>>
>>55042497

Who's gonna carry the torch for Slackware, anyway? What happen when Patar either dies or can no longer maintain the project?
>>
Slackware was my first distro, in 1995. It barely has a package manager. It's 2016, not 1995. Fedora or a Debian flavor. Arch if you really want to fiddle. Gentoo if you want to watch your packages compile and have to recompile them over and over when you realize the default flags weren't enough. I did and would still choose Gentoo over Slackware. I'm just not sure what niche Slackware even fills anymore.
>>
>>55042208
>slackware
What the fuck are you talking about, grandpa?
Gentoo > Arch > Ubuntu > Debian > Fedora > Slackware
>>
>>55042546
>It barely has a package manager. It's 2016, not 1995.

So what?

>arch

;^)
>>
>>55042546
>missing the entire point of not having a package manager
It's so you can choose what libraries get installed you turbo autist and gives you better insight into exactly what is being installed
stick to you're sudo apt-get tho kiddo
>>
>>55042606
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55042611
>manually resolving dependencies
>calls others autist

Lol you're a real treat.

>hey guise automation sucks lets go back to milking cows by hand and churning our own butter. Getting our hands dirty and calloused will give us better insight into how our dairy products are made

I've build my career on automation, it's how progress is made.
>>
>>55042672
> Giving the guaranteed reply
>>
>>55042679

I used Slackware for a few years and it still has a soft place in my heart, but I really like that analogy there.

I just don't have the time to mess with Slackware anymore, and I need to get shit done. If my work suddenly requires having to install random shit, sometimes with lots of dependencies, I don't have the time to compile it all and figure out dependencies by hand, or fuck around with SlackBuilds.org.

I also don't think I've ever seen Slackware used in any serious production environments before. I only see it used for home servers that do basic shit.
>>
>>55042546
>I'm just not sure what niche Slackware even fills anymore.

Slackware's niche is occasionally being released at the same time as other major distros' releases, so that shitty tech bloggers can blog about Slackware being an oldie-but-a-goodie in contrast to the shiny new distro release everyone is talking about.

Anyhow, how's Slunkware doing with finding fresh blood these days? Do they have many newcomers these days, and if so, do they stick around for long? Because the last time I checked a few years ago, ##slackware on IRC was nothing but oldfags.
>>
>>55042679
>the natural way is bad
you do realize that scientists are constantly playing catch up with nature right?
Which is why in 2016 the healthiest babies remain the ones who were breast bed
>>
File: bebefuc.jpg (20 KB, 637x624) Image search: [Google]
bebefuc.jpg
20 KB, 637x624
>>55042886
>Which is why in 2016 the healthiest babies remain the ones who were breast bed

Slack wearers confirmed fucking retarded
>>
>>55042993
>resorting to namecalling
didn't know the archbabbies get bum blasted this easily desu
>>
File: 1461691021548.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1461691021548.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>55043084
> Arch user
> Implying implications
> Definitely completely retarded
>>
>>55042208
>no special snowflake patches
>no bug tracker
>no officially stated support term policy
>>
just in case it wasn't apparent, every slackware discussion goes like this

>Slack is old, it's therefore better
>sounds interesting but it doesn't have ______
>lol u don need ____ fuck off kid kid kiddo kidlington

slackware is a secret club but more hilariously so because nobody actually uses it and just says they were so they can say "hurr i was here first" as if that matters.
>>
>>55043380

Priority CVE patching is also optional.
>>
>>55042490

Get off my lawn, you objectively wrong little bastard.
>>
>>55042740

>here's your (You)
>>
slackware is GNU/Linux for windows users.

think about it:
- you have to install every program, besides the most basic ones, from some homepage after you downloaded it individually
- installing things takes time and often will break your system
- upgrading to new versions successfully relies on 99% sheer luck
- slackware had its naming scheme altered by skipping from slackware 4 to slackware 7. like windows did multiple times as well, changing from version to year-based release names to simple names to version names again.
- slackware still retains the same basic functions without any real innovation like windows does since 1.0. all they add is some more blingbling in the DE.
- slackware users are uncaring, egoistic children that think they are being clever for using a cumbersome operating system for a mundane reason. in windows, that is "GAEMS!!!!", in slackware "NO DEPENDENCY MANAGEMENT MEANS FREEDOM!!!"
- they both have their own operating system cult leaders. bill gates vs that volkerding guy
- slackware and windows both dont care about support for architectures other than x86. only lately, after lots of nagging and threats, they have released a half-assed 64-bit version that breaks constantly. ARM, PPC, they all will never see any slackware or windows on them.

SLACKWARE = GNU/WINDOWS
>>
>>55043418

Cygwin port of Slackware Cygwhen?
>>
>>55043418
well it differs in that on windows the developers do everything they can so that their shitty buggy software works ok on the shitty buggy system, while on slackware you have to do that yourself i guess.
>>
Why use Slackware over Gentoo?
>>
>>55042208
>no systemd
>selling point
>>
>>55043418
>what are slackbuilds
Also having a less intrusive package manager is a boon sometimes. Apt is fucking cancer.
>>
>>55044438
Why use Gentoo over Mac OS X with pkgsrc?
>>
>>55044523
>isn't even linux
>no use flags
>for a proprietary OS exclusive to overpriced 2011 specs shitboxes
>>
>>55042868
Check out the LQ forum.

That will answer you question.

You are welcome.
>>
>>55044552
pkgsrc has an equivalent to Portagentoo's NOOSE flogs:

$ cd ..../mpv
$ bmake show-options

Any of the following general options may be selected:
caca Enable libcaca support.
lua Enable Lua support.
pulseaudio Enable support for the PulseAudio sound server.
sdl Use SDL as display library.
v4l2 Enable V4L2 (Video4Linux2) support.

These options are enabled by default:
lua

These options are currently enabled:
lua

You can select which build options to use by setting PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS
or PKG_OPTIONS.mpv.
>>
File: 131-vylb5Rz.png (465 KB, 1133x1200) Image search: [Google]
131-vylb5Rz.png
465 KB, 1133x1200
Why should i use Slack or Gentoo over Arch?
>>
>>55044625
You shouldn't.

Next question.
>>
>>55044625
If watching autoscrolling text for 2 hours gets you hard
>>
Id rather macfag
>>
File: LUL.png (41 KB, 112x112) Image search: [Google]
LUL.png
41 KB, 112x112
Slack true story

1. Slack philosopy: install full [dependency resolution = solved]
2. Slack users: cd apachev0.01; less README; ./configure && make && make install; ldd dependencies ["oh im so pro" *tips fedora* secret handshake etc]
3. Other distros: yum install apache --> DEPENDENCY ERROR 234 [babyrage !~#@]
4. Slack: Patrick Volkerding solo maintainer ["i got this"] kek
5. Other distros: more users, community, help build maintain etc
6. Other distros: fix pkg manager errors dependencies etc
7. Other distros: yum update; yum install apache etc
8. Slack users jelly: /join redhat, debian etc
9. Slack voldercock crybaby "slack no have resources/manpower to manage dependency for pkg manager"
10. 2016 4chan thread

>slack no systemd
>>
>>55042208
Will MTP and android connectivity be much better under 14.2? I couldn't get my moto /g/ 2nd gen to connect under 14.1 and it worked under debian jessie.
>>
>>55045264

Your story is a stream of consciousness and makes no sense. Please try again.
>>
>>55044625
Use arch. You get the latest packages and won't pretend it's 1995 like a hipster faggot. Any distro that has to over-complicate things by deliberately not including dependency resolution is a piece of shit.
>>
>>55045279
It made so much sense in my head though.

Back when I used slack (my 1st distro), package managers of other distros were unreliable causing "dependency hell". We (slackers) were forced to compile from source, RTFM and resolve dependencies by ourselves. That actually helped us gain better knowledge of the system and maybe gave us some extra beard points.
In this day and age, with so many packages and the fact that package managers have matured, there's literally no reason to go that route.
>>
>>55045717
Same anon here.

I used Gentoo for years, and even had my own Portage overlay that I maintained. And I dug deep into what every package did, and how they worked, and what the USE flags did, and how the whole software ecosystem worked.

Now, I honestly can't say I got much benefit out of it. It feels like all I did was waste my time, even if I had a lot of fun doing it.
>>
>>55045745
It's not a waste of time if you did it out of necessity. And you actually maintained your own packages and contributed to the community. How is that a waste of time?
>>
>>55046104
A waste of time as in, my full-time hobby became just finding new stuff to endlessly fuck around with.

I get there's a place for curiosity and just playing around, but I think it would've been better if I had practical needs that drove my fucking around.
>>
>>55045717
The point is to learn more about your system. It's about simplicity and stability.

Once you configure everything, you know how it all fits together.
>>
>>55046193
If it's about learning why not go LFS then? Seems like a much better option than learning the INs and OUTs of a dead distro.
>>
>>55046281
Slackware isn't dead.
>>
>>no systemd

Sounds shitty, I make great use of systemd utils when setting up systems quickly as well as fully self booting nspawn containers.
>>
>>55042208
I use Gentoo, even wasn't try slackware.
>>
>>55046376
It seems like slackware still not switched to Wayland/
>>
>>55042597
>Debian > Fedora
>Ubuntu > Fedora
I'd love to hear your reasoning.
>>
>>55042208
I like systemd.
>>
already using it
these days i just open browser, connect to wifi and sometimes watch stuff with mplayer
really never notice any difference
>>
>>55042208
No dep resolver is a dealbreaker for me
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.