[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Ubuntu such a steaming pile of shit. Pictured: the installation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: why.jpg (320 KB, 800x647) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
320 KB, 800x647
Why is Ubuntu such a steaming pile of shit.

Pictured: the installation process of Ubuntu Server
>>
>>55041247
also why are Linux distributions so fucking slow to install?
Like, it takes 5 minutes to install Windows 7 (which I believe is mainly attributed to its good-made HAL)
Why don't just distribute a flat file that would be copied with dd automatically on the computer and let me decide later on if I wanna sudo apt-get update or if I want to install the drivers myself.
>>
>>55041281
Arch
>>
>>55041247
>the installation process of Ubuntu Server
It requires constant attention too. Type something in, wait a minute, select another thing, wait two minutes, .... until the end. Why can't they make it like on Windows, you select your shit BEFORE, then you wait 30 minutes, then you select something else AFTER the wait is done.

Also, "apt-get autoremove" will do the same shit when it removes 10 old kernels.
Kernel removed, regenerate
>You might need to reinstall Grub :^)
>>
>>55041281
>Like, it takes 5 minutes to install Windows 7
I've never seen any windows install take less than linux install. Not including Arch, Gentoo, and such where most of time is spent on manually inputing commands. It takes ~20 minutes tops to get fully working linux install, it takes more than that to get windows 7 base working, not including the time you need to spend on installing drivers.
You are full of shit, newfriend.
>>
>>55041619
And you fell for the bait, nigger.
>>
caNOnical
>>
>>55041247
Does debian have this problem? Maybe that's just apt issue?
>>
>>55041627
>I said my stupid idea on the internet
>some one pointed out the stupidity
>...How to back pedal
>>
I tried to install xubuntu yesterday and it wouldn't even boot. The install would hang on a "start job is halting the boot process time/no limit". I looked on line and it's a confirmed but with no fix even though it's several weeks old.
>>
>>55042483
haha
>>
>>55042483
i got the same with manjaro when picking 'non-free'
>>
>>55041247
>linux servers ever being good

The cleanest server you'll ever run is a Windows server. Next is BSD. Then Apple. Last is Linux. Dead fucking last, every time, mate.
>>
>>55041619
Took me like 2 hours to install Arch first time I tried in a VM.
>>
>>55042644
Took me that long the first time too, friendo.
Now it takes me less, and it feels easy to install too.
>>
>>55042662
Very true
>>
>>55041247
If only that was the only issue with ubuntu. Ubuntu has become borderline unusable. The installer crashes if you try any setting except the default for the installation, meaning you don't get to customize anything from keyboard layout to partition scheme. Enjoy your lack of a separate home partition. Then, once you boot for the first time, you need to remount the install media and apt-cdrom it up if you actually want to be able to use the same drivers even if you chose the setting to install drivers during install. Then there's the fact you can't remove systemd without bricking the system (you are not allowed to install another init system before removing systemd, and you are not allowed to remove systemd without rebooting... oops am I right?), even beyond the fact that all packages have the optional systemd dependency enabled.
And good luck even getting rid of unity anymore, holy shit they made the whole thing a massive mess.
>>
>>55041619
>install windows 7, latest pro with sp1 and everything
>spend literally a day downloading and installing updates

drivers, mate? they're the least of your problem. in comparison:

>install latest debian image
>all hardware works out of the box
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade runs through in 10 minutes

not even starting with install times
>>
>>55041846
yes
>>
>>55042638
>windows server
>server
>comes with full DE
into the trash it goes

apple doesn't make a server OS anymore

BSD is nice and stable, but software compatibility is worse than in Linux, also packages tend to be older. this may or may not matter for your use case.
>>
>>55042709
If you want Unity gone, use a minimal install or a version of Ubuntu with another DE.
If you want systemd gone, then get a different distro or make openrc work yourself, friendo.
>>
>ubuntu for server
why
>>
>>55042711
I've tried installing Debian on 4 PCs 11 times total. Not once was the hardware usable out of the box. Usually something as unimportant as the network adapter didn't work, so that's an easy fix, just download the driv... Oh wait
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.