[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been using Ubuntu and Arch. I feel Arch is much more simpler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1462478208011.webm (2 MB, 1020x765) Image search: [Google]
1462478208011.webm
2 MB, 1020x765
Been using Ubuntu and Arch. I feel Arch is much more simpler to use.

Why is ubuntu broken ootb?
>Panel dropdown menus won't stay
>Can't install simplescreenrecorder on the Live ISO
>Mouse pointer disappears in Xubuntu after screen is turned off by the power manager
>Still no Cinnamon
>Software center can't find k-apps, not even kdevelop. What's the point of GNOME only softwares? Why can it find VLC then?
>Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu has 1px for resize area (video related)
>Kubuntu can't find system hardwares, default widget size on the desktop is too small to display the only one option "Install Kubuntu" COME ON
>adding nameservers in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf,d/base won't work, but /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf,d/head will
>Internal error right after fresh install
>Checking "install flash" during installation doesn't really install ubuntu restricted flash

None of these problem exists on Arch. Once you install your shit, it'll just work. Does Canonical even care anymore or they got completely sold out?
>>
>>55040514
I literally have none of these problems on Ubuntu, except for no cinnamon.

But who cares, mate is a great DE.
>>
>>55040591
Can software center find kdevelop?
>>
>>55040514
Because Ubuntu is for plebs, All memes aside Arch is the superior distro, The version of mate you have on Arch is new and Ubuntu wont have it in the repos for months.
>>
Anyone here to make irrational Arch hate posts? Where did all the shitposters go all on a sudden?
>>
>>55040514
Nice grammar Pajeet.
>>
>>55040514
>webm
solid smirk, I've never noticed that.

I guess marco treats "tiled window" in the same way as it treats a maximized window.
>>
>>55040619
>The version of mate you have on Arch is new and Ubuntu wont have it in the repos for months.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_edge_technology
>>
>>55040514
Arch has better documentation too.
>>
>>55041058

Because it needs better documentation,
>>
This. It may not have a GUI installer but after its installed it is easier to maintain and use than other distros. Memes suck.
>>
>>55041028
Its not bleeding edge you cuck faggot. Its cutting edge. Do your fucking research. Cuck.
>>
>>55040514
>Mouse pointer disappears in Xubuntu after screen is turned off by the power manager
this pissed me off so much, I basically gave up on even trying Ubuntu anymore
>>
That's the price you pay for "downstream fixes". Upstream is love, upstream is life
>>
>>55040514

How do you use windows snapping with only the mouse? When I tried playing around with Cinnamon in a VM, I trey to snap windows to the side and it brings up a prompt that asks me to hit Ctrl to confirm the snapping.
>>
>>55043229
What?
>>
>>55043947
Weird this occasionally happens to me on xfce + arch.
>>
>>55044400
Arch is not completely free of bugs either you know
>>
>Mouse pointer disappears in Xubuntu
Happens to me with Arch using light locker on Intel HD graphics.
>Xubuntu has 1px resize area
Again happens to me on Arch.

Most of these problems are not the distro; it is the programs themselves that have the bugs.
>>
>>55048275
Not just a distro, an LTS distro.
>>
>>55040514
>xubuntu
>kubuntu
>mate

Wait, what? You've come here to complain about Ubuntu, but your complaints are about random third-party variants that don't even use the biggest projects developed by Canonical.

I just did a search for k3b in Ubuntu software. It came up for me.

Flash is a security vulnerability, I'd be surprised if it's even in the official repos. Only way to use Flash on Linux today without exposing yourself to a retarded extent is to run Chrome.
>>
>>55040514
you arch fa/g/s need to figure out whether you want to be configurable or easy to use. there is no middle ground here either, so don't say that there is.

every other hour, an arch fag drops either a "arch is so awesome because i can configure everything and the AUR" or a "you ubuntufags are assholes, arch is just as easy or easier to use". it can't be both, you assholes, and it doesn't need to. if your confidence in your product is so shit, try figuring out your purpose first. until then, go and stay go.
>>
>>55048357
>you've come here to complain about Ubuntu,

>Panel dropdown menus won't stay
>Can't install simplescreenrecorder on the Live ISO
>Still no Cinnamon
>adding nameservers in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf,d/base won't work, but /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf,d/head will
>Internal error right after fresh install
>Checking "install flash" during installation doesn't really install ubuntu restricted flash

Furthermore, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Kubuntu are officially supported by Canonical, they are not third party. Linux Mint/Elementary/Deepin etc are third party

>Flash is a security vulnerability
That's not what the problem is. If a user wants to install flash the option is provided - which does NOT work
>>
>>55048395
Arch IS configurable but you can stick with the vanilla package configuration if you like. Why is that so hard to understand?
>>
>>55048395
I don't understand what message you are trying to convey here. Hence I asked why does Canonical does not care anymore. I'm not saying Arch is free of bugs but LTS distros are expected to be more stable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjeZJUvQI0
>>
File: test.webm (3 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
test.webm
3 MB, 1366x768
>>55048357
How inconsistent
>>
>>55048416
>Furthermore, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Kubuntu are officially supported by Canonical,

Nope.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

As for the Flash thing, maybe your browser is blacklisting insecure plugins, because it does get installed.

$ apt-cache depends ubuntu-restricted-addons 
ubuntu-restricted-addons
Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
Recommends: flashplugin-installer
flashplugin-installer:i386
Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
Recommends: gstreamer1.0-libav
Recommends: gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3
Recommends: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
Recommends: oxideqt-codecs-extra
>>
>>55048440
You know, I have to agree with the man. Except for Xubuntu I have found quite a few problems with every other single spin of 16.04 (along with not supporting proprietary AMD drivers anymore, of course...)

I just want a stable experience at this point whether it's slightly dated or not. I guess I could try 14.04, dunno if my 280x is well supported on that.
>>
>>55048511
Firefox comes preconfigured for ubuntu at the Live CD. What's wrong with enabling the plugin by default?
>>
>>55046831
He means it's more complicated so it needs better support
>>
>>55048395
what makes you think configurability and ease of use are mutually exclusive?
>>
>>55040737
I'm actually surprised shitposters suddenly disappear once faced with real arguments.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.