[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this book is fucking hard. I know I am retarded but I have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: The_C_.png (107 KB, 792x1023) Image search: [Google]
The_C_.png
107 KB, 792x1023
this book is fucking hard.
I know I am retarded but I have to read things at least 2 times.
>>
>>55040277
Same here, It's not really targeted for newbie.
>>
>>55040277

Get C Primer Plus if you're new. The C Programming Language is definitely worth a read, but don't do it when you've never ever programmed before.
>>
>>55040454

nice. Thank you.
>>
>>55040277
>I have to read things at least 2 times
That is not actually a problem. It sounds like you're brand new to C and possibly to programming in general. You should fully expect to need to re-read things and generally practice.

No-one can skim through a textbook, instantly understand and memorise every word, and immediately be an expert in the field. You're being too hard on yourself.
>>
>>55040277
Isn't that mostly reference manual?
>>
>>55040277
>I know I am retarded but I have to read things at least 2 times.
So? It's not uncommon to read sections in textbooks more than twice until you begin to understand it. This isn't a feel-good hipster web tutorial (nor is it hardcore academic stuff you couldn't possible hope to comprehend)
>>
>>55040454
Is this by Prata? 5th edition?
>>
>>55040825
This guy isn't just talking. He's absolutely right. 2 passes is par for the course. Especially when you consider that they are still only teaching C to programmer's of previous languages like Fortran.
>>
>>55041131
If anything, just treat it as reading in and then compiling the information as would happen with the C compiler itself. Might even make the whole thing easier.
>>
>>55040277
Pointers are the hardest thing to grasp when first learning C.

Everything else is basically easy to learn.
>>
This book is good ! It's a must-have for any serious developper.
>>
>>55040277
This book is a technical book, so no wonder you can't get it if you are a beginner with no background to C. Try a book actually targeted at beginners. If you speak fairly well French, I can recommend you “Le Site du zéro”'s course, this courses are well written for anyone who wish to learn programming languages.
>>
>>55040277
Textbooks in general suck for learning programming, definitely go for online tutorials instead (as long as you're not copy/pasting everything, you should be golden).

Also, I hope C isn't your first language. You ought to learn Python first and then branch out from there based on what you're interested in coding.
>c++ / c# / java for video games
>html / css / js for web pages
>java / js / ruby for web server apps
>java for android apps
>swift / objective-c for iphone apps
>sql and its many variants for databases
>assembly for being far as decided to use even go want to do look more like
>C is mostly for shit like operating systems and robotics
Have fun OP.
>>
>>55040277
Of course it is hard. Learning C with this book would be like reading Newton's publications to learn calculus.

Consider using some lecture notes instead, that's what I do when I want to learn a new thing.
>>
>>55041779
>Textbooks in general suck for learning programming

or you just suck at reading
>>
Structured Programming into ANSI C. by Chris Carter

It's old but I like yourself was retarded when it came to programming. Still have it on my shelf too.
>>
>>55040277
Just learn python, it's not like C is relevant anymore
>>
>>55042578
>>55042578
>it's not like C is relevant anymore
wut?
>>
>>55040383
You're both fucking retarded, anons. That book was the introductory C book for 1st semester CPSC back when I was in school.

Nut up or switch to something you can handle, like basket weaving or something.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.