[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one make one's compuiter and internet use as private,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: lock-2.png (5 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
lock-2.png
5 KB, 512x512
How does one make one's compuiter and internet use as private, secure and anonymous as possible?

Which OS is optimal?

Is a VPN required? If so, which one do you recommend?

What kind of additional software and such would one need?
>>
I spent too much time on this. Makes you really paranoid. I don't say proprietary software or Google is not bad, but at the end of they day, they help you so much.
>>
Which VPN would you use for general torrenting?
>>
>>55040264
what's your setup?
>>
The more unique you are the more you stand out in big datasets.
>>
>>55040236
>> computer
>> internet
>> private

pick one
>>
>>55040569
So I can't have s computer with an Internet connection?
>>
>>55040584
didn't you watch mission impossible bruv?
>>
>>55040558
so i should get a facebook?
>>
>>55040547
I take it easy right now, but I had Antergos + FDE + VPN + IceCat (and lots of privacy addons) + Tor Browser. I was using mostly free software, I deleted most of my social accounts and accounts in general. Spent my days with privacy or security, reading lots of stuff. The problem is, when you read so much about these things, you become paranoid and avoid things that could help you, you will lose benefits. If ypu have a job, these kinds of setup are not so good. If something helps you, just use that and be productive. Right now I'm using Arch and Windows (on a separate PC, no internet). If someone wants a secure and private OS, he/she should use Tails and forget about other things.
>>
>>55040236
all these questions, one answer.

/g/ patrol please tell him what to install.
>>
>>55041088
Hardened Gentoo
>>
>>55040236
It depends if you're using a laptop or desktop. But for both compile your own kernel or get a hardened one, use I2P, do not use wireless connection, use ethernet, remove camera, remove microphone, encrypt all your harddrives, use a good firewall to block IPs (like government IPs), don't make a pattern with i2p usage
>>
>>55041561
Oh yeah, and use old hardware and trusty laptop like a IBM Thinkpad T60, and use a secure router and modem
>>
What do you mean by trusted laptop
>>
>>55041753
Just a good quality laptop that has trustable hardware... anyway if you want a laptop, get a t60.. best price for a laptop you can get.
>>
>>55040864
If you want to hide, hide in plain sight.
>>
encase it in concrete and throw it into the ocean
>>
>>55040236
>tails linux
>full disk ecryption
>connect to Tor via VPN
>use only FOSS software you know
>use computer not laptop
But it's just unpractical.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.