[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Microsoft brings a lot of improvements to Bash on Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: cat.gif (19 KB, 180x236) Image search: [Google]
cat.gif
19 KB, 180x236
this is disgusting

http://windowsreport.com/bash-ubuntu-windows-10-updates/

Microsoft introduced a lot of improvements to Windows 10 Preview with the latest build 14361. A feature that probably received the highest number of changes is Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10. Microsoft revealed a huge list of improvements for the Ubuntu Bash console of the Subsystem for Linux feature that will help Linux developers do an even better job now.
>>
>>55036984
> that will help Linux developers do an even better job now
> on windows
kek. There are no "Linux developers" that use windows for development, though.

If said devs are using anything other than Linux for development, it's OSX, which doesn't need a "Subsystem For Linux" just to run coreutils and the GNU Toolchain.
>>
>>55037485
>There are no "Linux developers" that use windows for development, though.

If I write webby shit that's deployed solely to Linux servers, how am I not a "Linux developer"? Seems vague to me, and your argument looks like Gran Autismo semantic whining.

>>55036984

>Ubuntu Bash on Win 10
>All of the drawbacks of a VM with none of the benefits

I seriously do not see the point of this, aside from churning retarded tech "journalism".
>>
>>55037668
It's not my "argument", and not my choice of words; I pulled them from the article.

Ever since their announcement months ago, they've hyped the "use *nix cli tools natively on windows" angle in articles. I guess they coin "Linux Developers" as devs that venture outside of Visual Studio and use 3rd party tools within terminals as a part of the development process.

I do agree with you though:
> I seriously do not see the point of this
>>
>>55037838
>It's not my "argument", and not my choice of words; I pulled them from the article.

Really? Where does this line appear in the article?

>kek. There are no "Linux developers" that use windows for development, though.
>>
>>55036984
Does it let you do things like ssh and vim in the bash?
>>
>>55038013
>Implying microsoft would give you a full linux environment
>Implying this isn't just so that they can save their people the trouble of having to learn a proprietary scripting language.
>>
>>55036984
>Microsoft introduced a lot of improvements
More spying?
>>
>>55038246
probably this, forcing code developed on windows for linux require microsoft coding conventions and binary code blob librarys to run on linux.

embrace. extend. extinguish.
>>
>partially implement the linux API on Windows and a subsystem that can run native linux binaries
>advertise it as "Bash on Windows" and "Ubuntu on Windows"
Are they retarded?
>>
>>55036984

nothing wrong with it
>>
>>55036984
I use linux at work but I use windows at home and I'm looking forward to it.

There is literally no downside to this.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
194 KB, 1920x1080
>>55042203
>>
>>55039483
No but developers are
>>
EEE
E
E

BRAVO PAJEET
>>
fucking microsoft cancer spreading to linux

this is a bad sign
>>
>>55042264
whats so bad about it?
>>
>>55036984
>Microsoft revealed a huge list of improvements for the Ubuntu Bash console of the Subsystem for Linux feature that will help Linux developers do an even better job now.
Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

It's real
>>
>>55042290
i like ubuntu and i don't want it to turn to shit because of some change they make to fit better with Cancer 10
>>
I'll switch if they get iterm2 in Windows
>>
Bash in windows is really great, and I also use Visual Studio Code on Linux to write Go.

Call the cops I don't give a fuck
>>
>>55042308
>freeBSD on azure too

I want off this pajeets wild ride
>>
Ubuntu 16.10 to support skydrive and office out of the box.
>>
>>55042477
office on linux? that would be great for alot of normalfags
>>
>>55042477
>skydrive
also i'm pretty sure office is WPF so its essentially impossible to port.
>>
>>55037668

So, allowing someone to submit code from an OS that is made from the same people who insert telemetry in to things made in their IDE makes one autistic?

Good one with the Grand Autismo though.
>>
Tech journalists
>Bash and Linux? Never heard of it
>Ew you use uboontu?
Ubuntu subsystem comes out on win10
>Super essential
>Very important
>>
>>55039483
Bash on Windows sounds accurate enough because part of what I'm hoping to get out of this is using a proper terminal and not the retarded windows cmd.
But Ubuntu on Windows, honestly I don't even know what that means. Like it literally makes no sense.
>>
>>55037485
You still need to jump through hoops the run the GNU toolchain on OSX.
>>
>>55038246
Also, don't forget:
http://www.techworm.net/2016/06/microsoft-secretly-adds-snooping-codes-c-binaries-visual-studio-2015.html.
>>
>>55042941
The link is broken apparently. Here's another one: https://www.infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry.
>>
>Improved support for x11 apps such as xEmacs

wait, so x11 works as well? why the fuck would anyone use linux now?
>>
>>55043482
I need everyone to know how much better I am than the users of other operating systems.
>>
>>55043482
So they don't have to use Winblows
>>
>>55043482
>>
>>55038013
I actually have it guys, and it lets you apt-get, ssh, vim, and regular bash stuff like grep, ls, piping, all the chowning and chmoding you want, etc. It doesn't do GUI things though, so at the moment gedit doesn't work same as other GUI stuff. the command line is comfy though. Much better than fucking batch.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.