[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Linux Mint get so much hate? Is it because it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 45opq2-003-nF0KEnR.jpg (124 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
45opq2-003-nF0KEnR.jpg
124 KB, 1080x1080
Why does Linux Mint get so much hate?

Is it because it's entered Frankendebian territory?
>>
>>55036859
It was compromised for one.
>>
Non-free
Delays updates
Doesn't respect the GNU foundation
>>
>>55037035
Non-free?
>>
>>55037100

Mint installs proprietary software by default

No way to opt out of it like in Ubuntu's installer either
>>
>>55037116
Tell me more. I am using it considering having a free software. The only thing I noticed is a modified Firefox version.
>>
I was about to start a Mint thread. I just installed Mint 18 beta. Feeling real nice so far. Finally on that 4.4 kernel, which is nice

>>55036997
The fucking website was compromised. It could happen to anyone. That's a shit excuse to hate them.
>>
>>55037100
It doesn't follow freedom software foundation requirements
>>
>>55037221
Like?
>>
>>55037221
>The shit I say is just true
>Don't expect me to give evidence
>>
>>55037178
>The fucking website was compromised. It could happen to anyone. That's a shit excuse to hate them.
Directing people to download Mint ISO with a backdoor.
>>
>>55037266

FSF are Freetards who want distros to offer zero proprietary software

This is why they only endorse super obscure distros like trisquel

>>55037169

Not much to say. In Ubuntu's installer there's a checkbox you can tick if you want Ubuntu to install things like Flash, MP3 codecs, and NVIDIA drivers

In Linux Mint's installer you don't get that option, and it installs Flash, MP3 capabilities, Java, and NVIDIA drivers by default .
I think Mint also installs Virtual Box's non-free drviers by default too
>>
>>55037348
In mint 18, its optional. you get the choice to install or not to install all those extras.
>>
>>55036859
Why is it a seperate distro?
It should be Ubuntu cinnamon, or cinnabuntu.
>>
>>55037348
Since Mint 18 has the tick box too, are we all OK now??
>>
>>55037348
so if mp3 is proprietry who is ultimately benefiting
also what to use instead?
>>
It's pretty unstable and cobbled together by incompetent people. I'd rather get something made by people who know what they're doing, and actively contribute to Linux as a whole.
>>
>>55036859
>Why does Linux Mint get so much hate?
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>55037035
As if the gnu deserved any respect.
>>
>>55037341

Yes. But I think the point was, the original ISO's weren't, and the hack was through wordpress. Not inherently Mint's fault afaik.
>>
>>55039314
>Using wordpress
>Not inherently Mint's fault
Kek
>>
because of all that bloat and ugly as sin.
>>
>>55037348
Trisquel is about as noob as a distro can be tho. Yet it respects freedoms 0 - 3, unlike Mint.
>>
File: linusmintisrael.jpg (144 KB, 957x421) Image search: [Google]
linusmintisrael.jpg
144 KB, 957x421
>>55036859
ignore the haters
they're just Jewish, be a good guy and pay for elementary os
>>
>>55036859
Not sure why everyone else would hate it.

In my own experience with Mint, I found it unstable. I'd crash x-windows every other day and every time I rebooted it would switch graphics driverrs on me. Would not say I hate it, but certainly I would not recommend it.
>>
>>55037116
is that why all my machines running mint dont show anything in the driver manager? because it automatically installs the proprietary drivers?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.