[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good desktop to put on Arch when I install it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
What's a good desktop to put on Arch when I install it?
>>
One you like the aesthetic and functionality of?

At least give us some details about what you need faggot.
>>
Why not just a wm like Openbox, i3, dwm or Awesomewm? I feel like a lot of people use de's and don't actually need them.
>>
I preferably want an actual DE, not a WM (i3, awm, etc.), I'm thinking like GNOME, XFCE4, etc. And I would like to blur stuff, so I may go XFCE4 with Compiz Reloaded. IDK. That's why I'm asking for suggestions by other people.
>>
>>55034654
If you're into KDE their compositor actually does have quite a few effects like that without requiring you to look in to compiz. Gnome can also work with compiz and is easy as FUCK to use, xfce is fine but it takes so long to get to a reasonable level.
>>
LXQt or KDE
>>
Openbox.
>>
xfce4 is broken, you click on the start icon and it automatically closes unless you click it "just right"
>>
>>55035596
>LXQt
why?
>>
>>55034594
XFCE4 or i3

Everything else is shit.
>>
>>55034594
KDE.
>>
>>55034594
so you go and install arch, then want to use a DE instead of a WM?

did you miss the point of arch?
>>
>>55039768
What?
>>
CDE. It's opensauce now.
>>
>>55039768
Can you please expound a little more on that retarded remark?
>>
>>55034594

Unity or Deepin
>>
>>55034594

KDE of course
>>
>>55034594
KDE Plasma 5
>>
>>55039768
>the point of arch
There's nothing you can do with Arch that you can't do with Ubuntu.
>>
>>55034630
>I feel like a lot of people use de's and don't actually need them.
Pretty much my realization after using i3

I navigate around faster and feel more organized with i3 and no launcher beats dmenu or rofi
>>
>>55039768
>did you miss the point of arch?
>point of arch

Nice fedora.
>>
>>55039929
$yaourt -S mpc-qt

Humor me
>>
File: arch faggot.jpg (134 KB, 586x768) Image search: [Google]
arch faggot.jpg
134 KB, 586x768
Suicide would be better
>>
>>55039957
Just compile it instead of relying on the untrusted AUR
>>
>>55040008
Go ahead, compile it yourself. Post results. I will be waiting.

The compilation takes less than a couple of minutes.
>>
>>55034654
GNOME - Surprisingly complete and stable, not state-of-the-art in usability
KDE - Polished, looks pretty good, not very space efficient or consistent
Unity - Usability, well-documented and maintained, may not look very good to your taste
>>
just use aweseome WM
>>
>>55040019
>Completely missing the point
Also
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Comparison_table
>>
>>55040054
What's your point?
I use packer though
>>
>>55039772
An Arch user admitting Arch is a meme/rice OS, basically.
>>
>>55034594
Every computer, unless it's a server. Then just go with debian.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.