[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to know how deep is the learning curve on programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2016-06-08-23-54-56.png (353 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-08-23-54-56.png
353 KB, 1280x720
I'd like to know how deep is the learning curve on programming WMs and DEs or more specifically, when will I be able to develop my own modern tiling WM + DE package ?
In what direction should I expand my studies into before I start working on my project?
What do I need to master?
>>
File: 1464569773709.jpg (2 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1464569773709.jpg
2 MB, 1456x2592
bump
>>
>>55033929
Write a VM that has video memory that draws to a Java frame. Then implement Swing in that VM. Congrats you now have a tiling WM.
>>
When you're so autistic that just using a WM isn't enough.
>>
>>55033929
A WM isn't hard at all, just use the API for X provided by your language of choice and write the key handling code to call to placement and movement procedures in response to key presses and mouse events. Well, maybe it's not super easy, but it is straight forward and there's a lot of examples for you to pull from. If you can program and read docs, go for it. There's a reason there's such a proliferation of shitty tiling WMs: they're easy to make.

A DE is a WM + a lot of utilities. Definitely more complicated. Unless you're working in a team and have a specific goal, I wouldn't bother. Unless you like programming file managers/etc. in GTK/Qt.
>>
>>55033929
I was asking the same question.
Apparently you need to know the X Window protocol and xlib to code the wm.

Luckily we have a few good examples of how to do wm, look at TinyWM, is 50 lines of code. Also dwm.

Good luck.
>>
File: shot0004.jpg (128 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
shot0004.jpg
128 KB, 1008x720
I know what you are thinking OP. Look no more than Motif. Lain's dad computer style based on the IRIX desktop, a descendent of Motif Window Manager.
>>
>>55035337
And NEXStep. Therefore you could have Lain's computer with a mix of window maker and motif.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.