[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Side projects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ODROID-XU3.jpg (107 KB, 450x261) Image search: [Google]
ODROID-XU3.jpg
107 KB, 450x261
I'm a 9-5 senior developer at a company that does enterprise web applications for a few big clients

I have a good idea that I really think I could sell, but I don't have the time to implement it

Has anyone else faced this dilemma? How did you manage? Do you guys still program on your free time when you have a full-time job?
>>
>>55029646
Sorry for not having a useful reply to your question, but do you have any advice on how to maintain your passion for coding outside of your job?

I taught myself to code and really enjoyed doing it for a while, but once I got my first job, my passion just got put out, and I don't want to deal with coding outside of work.

Is it just because I'm a low-level codemonkey and things'll change later on?
>>
>>55029736
I've been seriously working as a developer for about 5 years now (C#) and my passion to code comes and goes in waves

Last year I bought a few books on C++ because I just really found it fascinated and screwed around with it for a couple months on my free time

Since then I lost interest in leisure programming until recently when I had this idea.

The only thing that has stuck with me for this long really is my passion to be the best developer I can. I strive to make sure whatever I check in at the office is tested and handled, clean and efficient even before it goes to QA

When you have an idea of something you want to really create using your skills, that spark will come back. Until then just keep learning and be the best developer possible
>>
>>55029646
Start it on weekends, then when the project gains some traction give it an hour each night. Take baby steps but when it reaches critical mass you'll have to decide if you want to pivot to it full time but either way you'll be ready for that when the moment comes rather than leaving too early before you are ready or missing the mark and sticking around.

>>55029736
Take vacations, and don't even think about loading up your work laptop or email on your phone. If you are like be it has been less than 5 years, I'm doing systems engineering/devops sort of stuff but I feel your pain. Once you save up vacation time it will get a little better.

When I'm between jobs, even if I have something else lined up I'll tell them that I can't start until a month or two out so that I can refresh myself for the next endeavor. Don't jump onto the next boat too quick.
>>
>>55029795
>like be
like me*
>>
This reply brought to you by the friendly neighborhood Spider-bump.

Bumping because this is actually an interesting topic, and not about consumer electronics or some other ignorant shit that's normally on /g/. And it isn't the other thread I just accidentally bumped because I was stupid and didn't look at what tab I was on.
>>
>>55029646
So, what's your side-project, something embedded?

I'm just starting out with this mostly as a hobby, and I'd like to know what people are up to.h
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.