[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a Thinkpad x220 i7, with a 9cell battery,IPS Display,16gb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
Can a Thinkpad x220 i7, with a 9cell battery,IPS Display,16gb of RAM and SSD compete with today's flagship laptops? Am I just waisting my time here? I just look for durability,performance and battery life, along with a simple linux distro. I Looked trough the wiki and google and it seems like the best bet for all of us. But, does any of you have experience with an "upgraded" laptop?
>inb4 just buy a macbook
>>
>>55029183
Also, forgot to clarify that It's the non-touch screen model, I made a mistake with pic related
>>
>>55029183
>durability
better than any consumer laptop
>performance
for shitposting and watching videos? perfect. playing games? don't buy a laptop
>battery life
i have a 6 cell battery, lasts me an average of 3 hours, which is enough for me
>linux
good linux support, I also run mint

so yeah, its a $200 laptop. if you want to gaymen, you can easily build a computer for $800, and you still spent less overall than buying a flagship laptop
>>
The resolution and iGPU are its biggest downfalls. You can get away with the weak iGPU if you don't play video games, but the resolution is going to suck no matter what you use it for.
>>
>>55029183
With the SSD and at least 8GB of RAM yes.
You would have to spend at least three to four times as much for a new laptop that's going to perform better.
The only place there is going to be a difference is if you try gaming on the thing vs a newer laptop with a better graphics system aimed towards gaming ... which is going to cost you.
I have an old T510 with an SSD in it running Windows 10 and Debian and it's fast as hell. The graphics can't deal with modern games but I do play some on it streaming from my desktop with Steam.
>>
>>55029315
i dont think you need 1600x1200 res on a 12" laptop. at home you ideally use an external monitor anyway
>>
>>55029183
>16gb of ram on Linux.
Are you retarded or what? And yes, you definitely wasting your time in here.
>>
>>55029315
>>55029312
I actually use the computer for research.text editing, some image editing and work. Is the graphic card enough for this? I guess one shouldn't ask that much for a laptop but the portability is very seductive
>>
>>55029358
Well, I personally use linux for everything, but my workplace asks me to run some specific programs for windows from time to time (which don't run well on wine btw), so the extra ram would come handily for a virtual machine or dual booting
>>
>>55029398
Go xps 15 you cock sucker.
>>
>>55029448
Care to explain why? Can't suck cock without a reason (or can I?)
>>
>>55029448
that chiclet keyboard is disgusting and the notebook is easily breakable
>>
>>55029435
So basically you want to do something like rendering and still using Linux? What kind of cuck are you? Don't be proud being Linux user, if u should dual boot it with Windows why you should forcing it...
>>
>>55029492
Well, that's why I asked you in the first place, because I'm ignorant in some aspects, aren't I?
>>
>>55029398
Should be fine for those purposes.

>>55029354
The older X200s and X201s had 1440x900 stock. 1366x768 is a bastard resolution, good for nothing but the manufacturer's profit margins. It only barely escapes being totally unusable by virtue of at least being a widescreen resolution. 1024x768 is truly unusable these days, 1366x768 is merely highly uncomfortable and restrictive.
>>
>>55029466
>>55029485
>almost same tier battery life with chinkpad
>with nvidia support
>slim and looks gorgeous

Well I agree with keyboard problem.
>>
>>55029183
Why dont ou wait for the retro thinkpad ?
>>
>>55029563
Because I already waited for the new razr phone only to get my hopes crushed by my corporative overlords. Normalfags will never support such a project, It's doomed from the start
>>
>>55029554
What about price? isn't the dell one more expensive without offering that much?
>>
>>55029623
Around $1500 and it's fresh, absolutely better than macboobs pro.
>>
>>55029729
Are you trying to convince me of buying this product or you are legitimately trying to give me advice? My mother thought me all about selling products back in the day , don't you mock my intelligence boy
>>
>>55029729
>it's fresh
He is buying a laptop, not a fucking vegetable. If you are going to shill your $1500 shit, it should be at least better than a $200 thinkpad, because that dell is not.
>>
Also,please know that I didn't make this thread to make you find a laptop for me, I want to know what is your overall opinion on buying technology, since the market is heading slowly into mindless consumerism with very little to offer in actual functionality and quality of life, and everyone is telling me that hardware innovation is at it's peak, when in fact not only I don't see any, but I see a regression in technology (in laptops at least)
>>
>>55029752
Nah, I just give you another option.

>>55029792
>doesn't calculate that most of thinkpad user is autist.
>there always a chance they sprouting their sperm into the monitor.

Well I still have my dignity.

>because dell is not
Or you are a poorfag.
>>
all that ram and a i7 on a 12" seems like a waste.
i mean your not gaming on it and managing multiple VMs seems like a ass pain
>>
>>55029183
Yes, it can compete very well.

I mean, what are you going to do with it? Most people use their laptops for light task like browsing the internet, typing some papers or emails, or watching a video.

This laptop will do all of these things and never have a lack of system resources to slow it down compared to a new laptop. The "speed" of your activities with it will be exactly the same.
>>
>>55029183
Yes, it can.

ThinkPad is the best brand on the market, in my opinion. They have top-notch keyboards, are remarkably durable, and with those specs will handle everything short of intense gaming.
>>
>>55029792
>dell is not

can confirm. dell build quality is shit. my last machine was a Latitude E series. they just don't build like a thinkpad, lenovo or ibm. with dell you may get better components for the money, like a screen, but expect things like cheap plastic vent covers, wearing on the palm rest, crappy hinges, overheating cpu, shitty trackpad. the one thing good about dell is their 3-yr warranty 9 cell lasted like a champ. i haven't had this thinkpad as long to compare but I've heard the 9 cells aren't as reliable. but again dell batteries are more expensive ($130 vs $70 70++)
>>
>>55029563
it was a stupid ars faggica mockup idiot
>>
>>55030163
Basically I need it for work and analyzing information. I don't have several computers so this would be my daily device, it needs to work well and most importantly ,can't fail. So the extra power and storage would be just a precaution. Also I plan on using it for several years and need those specs so that in the future I won't need to upgrade
>>
>>55030168
>gaming
>that graphic card
no it can't
>>
>>55030344
go to /tpg/ and read the guides, if you havent already
>>55025902

but generally, T420 and X220 are the 2 best value TPs out there right now
if you need the portability, choose X220, otherwise T420
>>
>>55030520
Thanks for the input.
>>
>>55029183
I have an i7 X220T with SSDs, 16GB of RAM, 9 cell battery, and IPS display. Pretty much maxxed out. It has gentoo as the main OS and with qemu runs several other VMs including W7. Also, browser profiles/cache and portage-related compilations take place in ramdisk. Not a gamer at all so I don't know how it would fare but on occasions I enjoy xboard/xonotic/freeciv on the main OS, and the old school doom on a freedos VM.
>>55029218 Obviously the tablet version > all others.
t. tis a beast.
>>
>>55030097
Can be docked and used with a monitor if you need to. Otherwise you have a relatively powerful, compact and durable mobile computer. I don't see the issue.
>>
>>55029183
Has only sata 2 support. Into trash it goes
>>
>>55030955
with that standards your trash bin would be fool
>>
>>55029183
>flagship laptop
For what purpose though. It's not about "muh super powerful laptop xd," the fuck do you even need it for.
>>
>>55029563
Because not everyone wants botnet in their laptop
>>
>>55031139
Daily carry device (and only), work, text editing, large hours of battery life, upgradability, easily fixable, usable for years to come, sometimes virtual machine.
>>
>>55029183
September 20th is my birthday :^)
>>
You can actually get the alienware IPS panel that fits these flawlessly. And it's arguably one of the best IPS panels.
>>
>>55029183
doubt it, although it's powerful enough to be completely passable nowadays, even i5 version. It's just as good as today higher-end as long as we're not talking about graphics accelerator performance.
>>
>>55029312

agreed
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.