[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>is primarily a video game user >Wants to try Linux >Erases
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: hospitalized_from_cringing.jpg (26 KB, 385x499) Image search: [Google]
hospitalized_from_cringing.jpg
26 KB, 385x499
>is primarily a video game user
>Wants to try Linux
>Erases entire disk for Ubuntu
>Realized that he can't play many of his vidya
>Shit talks Linux when mentioned for years
How many times does this happen /g/?
>>
>no gaymen
>no photoshop
>no msoffice
>no autodesk shit

to be fair Linux sucks for the needs of most consumers compared to the alternatives. I only prefer Linux for setting up servers or developing shit in general
>>
Why does it matter what other people use? Run whatever makes you happy and works for what you need desu
>>
Dual boot is the patrician choice
>>
>>55026495
what happened to the virtual machine?
my 16 year old ass was hella on the vm game way back in highs school. what happened?
>>
>>55026998
Nothing happened, it's still hot as hell. With IOMMUs (aka PCIe pass-through if you're into pleb speech) it's also the shit for avoiding having to dual boot in order to play games.
>>
>>55026932
>needing any of that shit
>>
>>55027034
How do you set this up
>>
>>55027179
Ah the classic Lincuck rebuttal
>>
>>55027216
Go into BIOS, enable Intel VT-d or whatever the fuck it's called on AMD (AMD-Vi I think).

Boot into Linux, install or download qemu

Google for the IOMMU patch thing for qemu

Follow steps in tutorial

???

Profit
>>
>>55027282
Install windows
Avoid all that trouble
Embrace the botnet
>>
>>55026495
>Telling people who aren't software developers to use Linux, ever.

I seriously hope you have never done this. Most of you far more technologically proficient than the general population and you still spend probably 3-4 hours a week trying to figure out how to do something in linux.
>>
>>55027300
>enabling an option in BIOS and installing a program = trouble
winfag, please
>>
>>55027179
>"I-I don't need this stuff on a daily basis! T-that means you don't n-need it either!"
That's what gnu/linux users sound like.
>>
>>55026495
>tfw i was primary vidya gaym user
>tried ubuntu 8.04 LTS from a shitty magazine i bought in between formats for teh lulz
>oh it runs a full system from a cd and not a scary bluescreen installer, cool
>install , see that it automatically detects my usb modem and offers to connect me
>cool huh
>everything works , no crashes
>run openarena, it runs like shit
>install nvidia drivers for my gt 9600
>runs better but has a 50/50 chance to boot into a graphical interace
well i came back on the last non-unity version , and then used debian wheezy until ubuntu 14.04 came out, with some distro hopping in between.
Still it was amazing to see that ubuntu 8.04 doesnt need to configure/install updates for half of a day in order to browse net/do some stuff, but if nvidia would work like it does now , and i would had warcraft3 running with native windows performance i would have never looked back.
>>
>>55026932
We have some games. But if they don't have the specific game, this can be a problem during the transition (people rarely play the same game for a decade)
Adobe photoshop doesn't work, but you unless you work in that industry, you can probably get by with krita, gimp or one of the other tools that can be used.
microsoft office works (all the version I have tried at least) The only thing that doesn't work is the special pasting between applications, but you can work around this.
Autodesk software is really expensive, and very specialized to their fields.
The alternatives we have there is laughable I agree.
>>
>>55027318
actually if you learn how to use the alternative software properly, you only live a happy life of enjoying every new features added for free to it.
Also there is a lot of people who pirate photoshop in order to use it for basic features that are available in free alternatives but they dont use it because "photoshop is better!" which is a typical characteristic of windows users - use the absolute best/most featured/industry standard software for the simplest of tasks. Why ? Because you can pirate it.
>>
>>55026495
I did that at first because I had to choose between torrenting 6 GB Win 7 or 600 MB Ubuntu on 2mbps internet
Now I've been using Linux for 4 years, save yourself anons
>>
>no games
>no software
>no drivers
>muh terminal h4x0r commands
>7tb of package updates right after installing the newest version

linux is only truly free if your time is useless.
>>
File: file.png (30 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
file.png
30 KB, 200x200
>>55026495
>censored name

Nice reddit screencap, did you copy and paste the thread from there?
>>
File: lolmoji.gif (1001 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lolmoji.gif
1001 KB, 640x480
>>55026932

>most consumers need Photoshop and AutoCAD
>>
>>55026932

>being a gamer (opiate of the plebian class)
>being a graphic designer (lel?)
>being in academia or accounting - 2016
>look 'ma I don't have a serious job but I can use autocad like an architect

In all honesty the only thing I've used on that list are games, which I use less and less nowadays - cause lol remakes and rehashes, and MS Office, but at $work they use google docs and libreoffice (cause their cheap skates).
>>
>>55027428
>malware free simple "office boredom" games
>free software for non commercial tasks/hobbyst use
>no need to manually install any drivers for supported hardware aside from nvidia/amd gpus
>hardware support is consistent, eg you wont experience the winxp to vista lack of drivers for old peripherials ever
>ability to combine a chain of tasks and run && shutdown now so you wont have to be woken ap at 3:00 AM when the updates end (for example)
>packages update with system so you dont have to have 15 different updaters on startup / check for updates every time you launch something that you have to wait until you start doing something.
face it, you hate it because it does shitloads of things better than windows but you cant part with your games or are unable to automate simple task with command chains.
>>
If you have a decent computer, you might as well be trying some games from time to time. Otherwise if you're really going to use linux it's worth just buying a laptop and getting over it. Having unused hardware is a waste.
>>
>>55027627
it would be ok if the support for nvidia/intel dual gpu support would get official and good , not "use either nvidia and get performance + tearing or use intel and have unused gpu and bad performance , or use bumblebee and have a -20~30% fps nvidia card and some occasional bugs"
>>
>>55027282
I have considered this for a good while and I may do it. However, there's one minor problem: graphics on the host side.

I have intel HD 4600 graphics. I have tried using some DEs with it and having to go "light" with it as well as not having smooth 1080p 60fps playback on youtube is kind of troubling. Basically I have my doubts about how well this would work as a daily driver to be honest.
>>
>>55027408
I have a diploma in graphic design and the content I displayed on my folio board was made with GIMP. I grew up with it, used it throughout high school before I took it further. I only used Photoshop and Illustrator (Which I admit are fantastic software) for the in-class exercises because we only had OS X on the campus computers.
>>
>>55027534
Hello NEET l33t coder
>>
>>55027740
I can live without photoshop, but I have way too much fucking fun with illustrator.
>>
>>55026495
>>is primarily a video game user
>>Wants to try Linux
full retard
>>
>>55027249
windows doesn't have systemd
>>
>>55027740
well gj, but im talking about the majority of consumers who use photoshop for light retouch, fixing perspective or cut/paste , or eventually extracting images from .pdf. I mean on my univesity every architecture student uses photoshop for either this or precise text placement.

Isn't this retarded? Well since they already learned how to use it i guess it's not, but they could learn gimp instead and it would make no difference. Just how they could get free versions of autocad but they had to pirate the 2009 version because that one proffesor didnt want the "made in student version of autocad" watermark on the project.
>>
>>55027740
Both gimp and inkscape are capable of a lot. It's really just a matter of getting used to them, and the learning curve is as long and pedantic as learning the adobe suite for the first time.

As you showed though, it can (and probably professionally is in some cases) be done using free software.
>>
>>55027534
>academia
>msoffice
maybe in the social science department. I've seen the horrendous documents produced by these people.
>>
>>55027829
>not wanting to try different things in life for no reason at all
>>
leme tell you DOS BOX
AND SOME STEEL PANTHERS II & III
soooo good on my mint linux
>baby's first wargamer box distro.
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27765/Steel+Panthers+III+-+Brigade+Command+(1939-1999).html
>>
>>55027448
I downloaded it from a ylyl
>>
>>55027907
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXLcXHjIjk
>>
>>55027881
Like gay sex?
>>
>>55026495
Tfw handsome as fuck but no go when that guy even has a gf.
>>
>>55028431
women generally respond to two things:
- looks
- personality

if you're accurately self-assessing looks (something tells me you're not), then that leaves personality. if you're not fun to be around, nobody (not even that amateur clown in the profile photo) would want to spend time with you.
>>
>>55028468
Womyn respond to money.
>>
>>55028488

poorfag
>>
>>55028488
yeah this is part of the personality thing. reducing women's motivations like that tends to turn women off almost as fast as wispy, patchy facial hair.

i've had money and been destitute and i've seen no correlation between wealth and women's attraction to me. there have been good times and bad times.

if you think you're observing something, it's probably that you see confident men landing women, thinking that it's the money, when in reality the money is just spurring their confidence. inferring that wealth caused attraction is the false cause fallacy.
>>
>>55026495
desu the fact that most /g/ users recommend dual booting over virtualizing to new users is a huge problem too. There's no practical benefit to dual-booting. It prevents you from accessing information available to other OS's at the same time. It forces you to partition and reallocate drive space. It's just a general pain in the ass to deal with.

There's no real benefit to dual-booting, especially now that you can get hardware pass through through virtual machines and avoid all the inconveniences.
>>
>>55028468
It's always money, looks or personality is just a bonus.
>>
Just look at him, he is obviously a beta manchildren, he will cry as loud as he can to get what he wants, if that doesn't work, he will get emotionally scared and will talk shit about it.
>>
>>55029089
doesnt matter, hes the one getting layed
>>
>>55028570
see >>55028544
also please follow comment threads for at least a few posts before posting your reply. the kneejerk impulsive replying behavior that autistic people seem to exhibit is really tiresome.
>>
>>55026932
> steam has a large linux library
> gimp
> libreoffice, openoffice, Google docs
> not sure if there is FOSS replacement for autocad / solidworks - but id be surprised that there isnt

Meanwhile...
> linux has faster built in search
> no ads
> no botnet
> much better customization options
> has built in text manipulation in terminal
> opens a pdf in a few seconds rather than a minute or longer
> boots faster
> has large libraries of free software
> no Microsoft edge
> makes you a much harder target for malware & virus developers
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.