[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's g's opinion on smartwatches ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 30
File: best-smartwatches-hero-970-80.jpg (66 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
best-smartwatches-hero-970-80.jpg
66 KB, 970x545
What's g's opinion on smartwatches ?
>>
File: IMG_20160610_102022.jpg (807 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_102022.jpg
807 KB, 2448x3264
I love my pebble time. Wouldn't go for anything with less than 5 day battery life.
Notifications on my wrist are an unnecessary luxury, but it is nice having my phone constantly on silent, and being alerted by a friendly buzz on the wrist.
Step and sleep tracking is also lovely.
>>
Useless
>>
So they actually do anything except notifications and tell the time ?
>>
>>55022393
this, the new one even has 10 days battery life. probably gonna pick that one up since my time got a nasty scratch on it's glass.
>>
>>55022430
Great for healt nuts
>>
I'm thinking of getting one but I think I'll wait till they're better
>>
I don't care about my heart rate or steps taken or shit like that, and I keep my phone silenced anyway. And they're a waste of money. Maybe if one was under 100 bucks.
>>
I remember predicting that they'd bomb hard
They then bombed hard and people forgot about them.

I remember smartwatches.
>>
>>55022958
Mm. Mine (pictured above) has a clear screen & bezel protector as I usually manage to scratch most things attached to my hand.
>>
>>55023094
i didn't know they had screen protectors for pebbles
>>
>>55023092

>>55023069 here,
In NYC at least they are just barely staying alive. Maybe because there are a lot more gullible people and stores that peddle memes.
>>
>having to charge your fucking watch every week
I remember when technology was supposed to improve our lives, not make them worse.
>>
>>55023128
People are buying them because they feel they have to, to not miss out on the 'revolution', or to not be a luddite, or as you say, because they fell for the meme.

Falling for the meme is a very real thing, and is a nice term for what happens in modern markets.
>>
>>55022332
what's the point? Right now they are largely useless. Yeah maybe in 5 years this statement will be wrong but hopefully they'll be more useful.
>>
Yeah they need to be way better with more crappy apps and shit
>>
>>55023152
Nothing new there, apple was the master of this with jobs and >muh innovation. Still nycanon, I haven't seen any in a while, hopefully people saw how useless they are.
>>
So a bit of a gimmick then ?
>>
Not everything needs to be "smart"

I don't want a smart watch, a smart television, a smart car, or a smart kitchen appliance. Pisses me off when some things, it's genuinely hard to find non-smart versions these days, like televisions.
>>
>>55023209
>televisions

haven't bought one in years, have they become pricier because of that crap?
>>
I have a pebble time and I love it.
Between not having to pull my phone out of my pocket nearly as often and the large selection of watchfaces and apps, its pretty cool.
>>
So what apps can you actually get ?
>>
>>55023225
Not really, but they have become pricier because a bunch of new types have come out. Plasma, then LED then OLED then curved LED/OLED. Then there's the resolutions, HD, "Full HD", "Ultra HD", 1080p, 4k, all this crap. Average size has also increased, last time I had a TV, 32 inch was about average, now it's about 50 inches.
>>
>>55022393
Looks good brother, I have myself a Moto 360 and I wouldn't recommend, battery life is very poor, just about a day, display doesn't allow for glance for time as a watch is intended for and the flat tire.
>>
I have a Pebble Time Steel and I'll be upgrading to the Time 2 for the larger screen/smaller bezel, faster CPU, and heart rate sensor.
>>
File: DSC_0002-picsay.jpg (92 KB, 672x727) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002-picsay.jpg
92 KB, 672x727
This is a pebble thread now.
Classic model still going strong.
I got mine just to see all notfications, messages and choose when to pick up the phone. Works flawlessy.
>>55022393
Is it worth upgrading to Time for voice messages and color display? Also is thw bezel easy to scratch?
>>
you mean you nerds get regular notifications on your phones?
I don't believe it
>>
>>55023147
But you're going to get your normie socialshit notification on your writst! Think about it!
>>
>>55023616
>Is it worth upgrading to Time for voice messages and color display?
Time steel owner here. The color display is great. I would recommend you wait for a Pebble 2 (which is an updated Pebble with upgraded internals, heart rate sensor, bluetooth support, etc.) or Pebble Time 2.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-2-time-2-and-core-an-entirely-new-3g-ultra
You can get the Pebble Time Steel cheaper (round $120) when it goes refurb on sale as of late, but the newer one has a bigger screen and smaller bezel.

>Also is thw bezel easy to scratch?
On the non-steel Pebble time, yes. Most people get a wrap (either patterned or transparent) for less than $10.

The glass can be scratched too and I have a couple because I'm a clutz that scrapes walls and door handles on occasion.
>>
>>55022393
How does it work with a iPhone?
>>
File: photo_2016-06-10_15-36-26.jpg (69 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-10_15-36-26.jpg
69 KB, 960x1280
apple watch owner, don't need it, pretty much useless. it was a gift otherwise i would never pay money for a vibrator on my wrist.

>>55022393
there's a watch attached to your bezels ma'am
>>
This is bullshit. Phones are bullshit
>>
>>55024146
everything but sending voice-text replies work
>>
>>55024146
you download the pebble app from the app store and sync it
>>
>>55022332
stupid and useless
what's the next thing that's going to have a prefix smart-, chairs?
>>
File: 1418462941444.jpg (60 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1418462941444.jpg
60 KB, 600x450
>>55024204
Happy hunger month!
>>
>>55023293
each one (pebble, apple watch and android wear) has different apps. they're all pretty much useless tho, and not much more than a novelty. the functionality that is expected comes with the watch, and what most people use them for is getting notifications on your wrist and maybe sending short replies. there are some useful apps if you're into fitness tracking tho
>>
File: Folder.jpg (36 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
36 KB, 200x200
I have the OG Pebble and I like it a lot. I like to time everything when I cook so its convenient to have them on hand all the time. I can access 2 step verification via the watch as well. I plan to get the Pebble Time 2 when it releases for the color screen and health tracking. I think the most useful thing about is to be able to set tons of little alarms to micromanage my time. I used to stay up way to late just by accident but now it buzzes me about an hour before bed to remind me to start finishing what I am doing. I no longer have a constantly shifting sleep cycle because of this. I don't think I would use a smartwatch that had to be charged nightly. My pebble lasts 7-10 days and I only need to remove it while I shower to keep it fully charged (its waterproof but I don't like showering with it on).
>>
>>55024089
>bluetooth support
what the hell do old pebbles use to connect to your phone?
>>
>>55024262
m8 it's so fucking hard, i can't get lunch outside so i have to actually cook.
>>
>>55024222
smart-pc
you know it's gonna happen
>>
>>55024285
I used the word "upgraded". IIRC Pebble Classic uses Bluetooth & Bluetooth LE while newer models use LE exclusively, which is a bit better for battery life on watch and on device.
>>
>>55024310
Feel you anon. get some cheap takeaway and heat it up later.
>>
File: smart-fridge.jpg (292 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
smart-fridge.jpg
292 KB, 1400x933
>>55024222
>not wanting a smart chair and smart fridge
>>
>>55024376
oh.
also i think manufacturer's just got scared that smartwatches were gonna become HUGE and they designed all this shit in panic mode. they're always gonna be a niche market, as most people a, don't wear watches b, don't see the appeal in an expensive watch that doesn't look exactly fashionable, or c, are too fashionable and have expensive watches already
pebbles are nice tho.

>>55024406
yeah i'm gonna start doing this, and we still have more than 3 weeks of this crap
>>
>>55024438
>this crap
why even bother if you have such a negative attitude about it
>>
>>55024456
...He isn't bothering. That's the point.
>>
>>55024438
Well everyone thought that the watch thing might be the next product category, especially Apple. You own an Mac, you own an iPhone, (maybe) an iPad, why not a watch too? But the phone already meets the criteria of being on you at all times (at least 99% of the time for most people) and it does a better job of controlling apps.

I did think it was cool that Apple put Apple Pay in the watch for NFC payment - I feel like a moron pulling my phone out and trying to use it, whereas a watch is already on my wrist. I know the pebble guys made an NFC payment element called Pagare but it's a full watch strap and it's fucking hideous.
>>
I'm really thinking about buying the pebble. Is it worth getting a new one or can I get a crappy old one ?
>>
>>55024456
i'm not fasting

>>55024480
i didn't pay for the watch, and after the initial craze died down now the majority of iphone owners don't want one. it's just not an appealing product. i kinda would be surprised if apple makes a real second gen redesign. they'll probably do some minor refresh and call it apple watch 2
>>
>wearing wireless devices
enjoy cancer
>>
File: hamdogger.jpg (264 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
hamdogger.jpg
264 KB, 1250x1250
>>55024509
I wouldn't buy the original Pebble or Pebble Steel. They have a failure rate due to the use of a Zebra connector that loosens over time and causes massive screen tearing. Pebble will replace the watch, even typically outside the warranty, but then you get your refurb and it starts doing the same thing within a month.

The Pebble Time and Time Steel are out now, for around $120 refurbished when on sale (set an alert on slickdeals to get emailed when it goes again).

The Pebble 2 and Pebble Time 2 are on the horizon with a kickstarter active as a preorder mechanism.

Personal thoughts: I love my Pebble Time Steel but I want the heart rate sensor and larger screen/smaller bezel (the PTS bezel is rather large) so I kickstarted the Pebble Time 2 (which is steel, not plastic). From a value perspective the Pebble Time is around half the cost with comparable specs. I'm making decent money right now so I can afford the upgrade but if you're on the fence the price difference may be harder to swallow.
>>
>>55023616
As far as I'm concerned colour and voice control aren't that important. I ran a black & white watchface for a while because functionally it did the job.
As the other anon said, wait for the 2nd one if you're desperate to switch to something more current.
>>
>>55023113
Yeah, I got mine from Gadgetwraps, a US company that ship internationally and have pretty reasonable pricing.
>>
File: IMG_20160611_164922.jpg (982 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_164922.jpg
982 KB, 2448x3264
>>55023616
>>55026034

Just realised, the black and white watchface I was talking about is exactly the same one you use.
Timely is my at-work watchface so I can visualise how far away deadlines are and is the best I've found at displaying a calendar.
>>
>>55024571
Did the Time and later really fix the screen tearing issue? I thought I heard a few reports that some Time watches were still doing it.

As somebody who has owned 4 Pebble watches in 3 years that have all had this problem (OG kickstarter one, its replacement, Steel, and a replacement one) I would have a hard time giving them money again for such a shoddy product.

If they did fix these issues I'm rather interested in a Time 2, that larger screen really does look nice. I doubt it will happen but I would REALLY love a Steel 2 with a bigger screen. While the Time 2 is OK I really like the style of the OG Steel a lot more.
>>
>>55023147
I mean, you probably charge your smartphone every night, and it's not like you use your goddamn watch 24/7 either.
>>
I got a moto 360 1st gen and it's pretty nice. My phone vibration is pretty weak and usually unnoticeable so I like being able to notice notifications and being able to send a quick reply. I'm curious on what the new Android Wear will bring us.
Don't spend over $100 on any smart watch though
>>
>>55022332
One of the interns at my job has one. It's nice and is actually pretty handy if you need to know stuff fast for work. Did a quick search and the Pebble Time and Time Steel are relatively affordable if you have actual income (Pebble Time is almost $100, Time Steel is almost $190 on Amazon).

It is 100% a meme item if you don't do anything with your smartphone except call/text and listen to music, though. If you don't use at LEAST some sort of calendar for important things you need to do you're basically pissing away money for a useless status symbol.
>>
Love my moto 360 2nd gen
Really nice to read emails and texts and even reply to some without digging phone out of pocket
>>
>>55024222

Shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvbx0dy6Q0
>>
>hurr I can look at my notifications without looking at my phone durr

most useless gimmick ever
>>
They seem pointless to me. An extra a couple hundred of dollars to avoid pulling your expensive smartphone out of pocket. Forgive me if this sounds edgy but when I see someone with a smartwatch, I assume they're stupid or a tryhard wannabe techie.
>>
File: 51DUWZjap2L._SX425_.jpg (15 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
51DUWZjap2L._SX425_.jpg
15 KB, 425x425
waste of cash unless you receive a lot of text based communication like e-mail and texts but ones that could be sent automatically, like server alerts or monitoring. Anything past a $70 model is mostly gimmicks that your phone already has and you should use.
>>
>>55026871
Quoth poorfag
>>
>>55026905
My 1000$ TAG disagrees
fuck off
>>
>>55022332
Wasn't this a story in spy kids or whatever? Kids that have watches that give them superpowers.
>>
>>55022332
Wearables will probably kill the conventional watch market (except for the luxury segment), but later. Right now it's a pretty fucked up gimmick that barely creates any reasonable value, except for maybe fitness tracking functions.
>>
>>55022958
the normal time is only 5 - 7

the time steel is 7 - 10

i recommend screen protectors still the anti glare coating scratches easily.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 720x960
dealwithit.jpg
>>
>>55027257
What do you use it for?
>>
File: casio databank.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
casio databank.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
My watch has been smart since 1989. Kind of glad they're finally in style again.
>>
>>55022393
Got the Sony SmartBand 2, does exactly the same, notification buzz, step, pulse, sleep tracking.
Battery is 2 days only though.
>>
>>55027257
congrats on using the worst watch face and a shitty watch/band combo
>>
>>55027275

Notifications, fitness (runs and cycling) and heart rate tracking, controlling music on phone. A few apps but most are too slow to be useful.

Is it a must have? Fuck no. But would I miss wearing it if I forgot to put it on in the morning? Yeah.

>>55027355

dealwithit.jpg
>>
>>55027307
what can it do?
>>
Does anyone have any experience using these purely with FOSS apps(eg. gadgetbridge)?
>>
I got an Apple Watch. At first I thought it was very over priced for what it was but after that first week, man oh man is it convenient.
>>
>>55027569
Mine has a calculator, an email/phone book, a calendar and memo feature, an alarm, stopwatch, and it also tells me the time.
>>
I own a Pebble Time Steel and find it pretty handy as I work in a lot of labs where you wear varying amounts of protection so having something to receive notifications is pretty useful.
>>
>>55027531

I somehow forgot Apple Pay. Leave my wallet in the car or at home and all I need to do is hold my wrist near the card holder.
>>
>>55023209
Having a tv that can I can stream YouTube videos to and watch hulu, hbo go or Pandora on is great. Web browser is also surprisingly smooth
>>
File: IMG_20160611_130038.jpg (767 KB, 2064x2955) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_130038.jpg
767 KB, 2064x2955
PTS owner here.

-Notifications for SMS/MMS, Email, Phone calls
-Control Music while walking or driving without touching my phone
-Easy access to a timer for cooking
-Silent alarms
-Watch w/date and weather
-Battery last 7-8 days.
-Works as a low power flash light when taking a piss in the middle of the night.
-Pedometer

It does all of these things perfectly. The only thing I don’t like about it is the giant bezel. Hence, I can’t wait until the Pebble Time 2 is released.

Yes, I’m a hairy mother fucker.
>>
File: ditto.jpg (57 KB, 1069x802) Image search: [Google]
ditto.jpg
57 KB, 1069x802
>>55026197
I kickstarted the time and have had it since it shipped and no screen tearing at all yet, nor have I seen reports on /r/pebble about it but I might have missed them.

>>55027963
Yeah, I use pretty much the same features with my PTS and my main gripe is the bezel so I backed the PT2. Also backed the charging stand for the PTS/PT2.
>>
>>55028147
>I kickstarted the time and have had it since it shipped and no screen tearing at all yet, nor have I seen reports on /r/pebble about it but I might have missed them.
I just did a cursory search on time screen tearing a while after it shipped and thought I saw a couple hits but it was also brand new then and could have been actual manufacturing defects instead of the old connector issue that seems to hit more watches than not.

If its gotten better then I might pick up a Time 2 if my current Steel starts pissing me off too much. I have tried a few fixes on my current steel since its out of warranty like putting more pressure on the connector and across the back. While it's better it still acts up occasionally.

But I still won't consider getting anything other than a Pebble unless somebody else manages to make a watch with 5+ day battery life and an always readable screen that does not have to glow all the time.
>>
>>55027791
I'll concede that's a pretty nice feature. Not worth the price of an iWatch just for that though.
>>
File: 444447-garmin-vivosmart.jpg (248 KB, 999x735) Image search: [Google]
444447-garmin-vivosmart.jpg
248 KB, 999x735
>>55028322
I'm also an owner of a Time for the last year or so and can't say I've ever had anything I'd call screen tearing. Come to think about it I don't think I've had any major faults with it at all.
My previous smart device was a Garmin Vivosmart and I went through four of the fuckers before finally throwing in the towel, the display was so prone to pixel defects.
>>
I rather just wait for a chronos wearable disc and attach to one of my real watches.

I only need the simplest of notifications. For calls and texts.
>>
I have the Gear S2 Classic. It's pretty good, but the price tag was a bit steep. I wanted basic smart watch functions but also a nice looking wristwatch.

The most common thing I do with it is use the music controls.
>>
File: pebble time 2.jpg (191 KB, 1057x650) Image search: [Google]
pebble time 2.jpg
191 KB, 1057x650
>>55022332

pebble is the only brand that gets it right. High battery life, e-ink color display, acts as a smart watch should. Plus its fucking waterproof and cheaper of course.

Plus I kickstarted (pre-ordered) the pebble time 2, pic related look at that beautiful think bezel
>>
>>55022332
can i read .pdf/.doc files from them?
i wanna use them for cheating on some exams.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 332x392) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 332x392
I am considering getting an Apple Watch (pic related). Plan on simply using it as a watch, notifications and partial fitness tracking. Waiting for WWDC to see what's going to happen.
>>
>>55028322
Pebble will generally replace watches experiencing the tearing issue, even if you are out of warranty.
>>
>>55030563
This is why teachers are now generally banning wristwatches during tests.
>>
>>55031551
so they're actually useful...
>>
>>55023147
>he uses quartz
>he doesn't wind his memecanicals every couple of days
kys pleb
>>
My pebble bricked itself and never recovered.
Might get the new one but idk
>>
>>55024204
God the apple watch looks hideous.
>>
>>55022332
>What's g's opinion on smartwatches ?
I have a moto 260 v2.

It counts steps as I masturbate.

Helps me keep track of how much I masturbate.
>>
>>55030659
>Paying that much when there are better looking, better functioning options for cheaper.
>>
>>55022332
I had a pebble and loved it. Want to get time 2 but refuse to support a company that continues to use Kickstarter when they don't need to.
>>
File: 20160612_025202.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160612_025202.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Love every second of it.
It was pretty cheap too,like 20$ or something like that.
>>
>>55031263
Would have been nice to know before I took mine apart and fiddled with it. No matter really, its working fine now and I didn't have to deal with yet another exchange.
>>
Health and sleep trackers are dumb and they're all extremely rough estimates anyway. I keep pebble health disabled because if you have to consult something to see if you're done, you're not done. And I don't need a message saying "did you enjoy your run" every time I jack off.

The purpose of the smartwatch is to do things that take less time than the act of taking out your phone and using it takes. Checking notifications, putting your phone on vibrate, replying to texts with single word messages, setting reminders and alarms, NFC payments(soon), controlling your music, simple wolfram alpha queries, TELLING THE FUCKING TIME, these are the things you're actually using your watch for.

The pebble time is extremely good at those things. Plus having the Nav Me app so I don't have to look at my phone while driving with google maps helps a lot.
>>
>>55022332
Skip 'em and instead save up for smart contact lenses.
>>
>>55032699

bought one recently, waiting for shipping, how is the battery on yours?
>>
>>55032699
Taco Bell/10
>>
File: DGFDALM.jpg (708 KB, 2073x3110) Image search: [Google]
DGFDALM.jpg
708 KB, 2073x3110
Have one of these. It was a gift so at first I expected it to be useless. When you actually have it, you find them useful. Looking at notifications, fitness, controlling music and such.
>>
>>55032444
I'm a bit already invested in the Apple ecosystem.
>>
>>55023616
Quite easy to scratch.
>>
>>55023616
definitely worth the upgrade, i had both and can not imagine going to back to the classic. The bezel does scratch ridiculously easily though, so maybe buy a skin for it like I did. Go for it man.
>>
I have a pebble steel with a gold band. Looks nice and I use the notifications and calendar constantly. I'm a cio for a big health insurance company though, so i literally have 8 hours of meetings a day. I set vip alerts on certain email senders so if my Ceo sends me a comm it vibrates and let's me set my priorities.
>>
shitty memes
>>
>>55029259
Was thinking about picking it up but the price was stopping me. Isn't it the same price as an apple watch?
>>
>>55034867

pic?
>>
>>55034867

What's your salary?

How much stupidity from your CEO and CFO do you normally have to put up with ?

Does it bother you that some of the people who work under you have a higher IQ and are more competent than the CEO?
>>
I am backing the Pebble Time 2, should I get a black or a silver one?
>>
>>55037776

Get the black one. Tell us how it goes when it arrives in 10 years.
>>
Pretty useful if your home has more than one room and you like to always be reachable. And you can go "ok google" and have it do a multi-step unit conversion in one go.
>>
While we're all here, can we get a list of all the actual sensors available in these things?
Health wise that is.
Heart rate monitor, sweat monitor, blood pressure? Blood oxygen?
I don't know, what can these things actually do?
>>
>>55037823

Heart rate and steps are the only thing available. Both are fairly inaccurate. Steps are calculated when the your hand moves and pulse is only measured for a few seconds each time, so you get wild 20bpm swings.
>>
>>55022332
gimmicks
>>
File: 201504241130069763.jpg (40 KB, 700x544) Image search: [Google]
201504241130069763.jpg
40 KB, 700x544
Who chinkshit here?
>full SMS readout
>steam, rss, anything with notifications
>day-of-the-week specific alarms
>tells the time
>$10-$20

I was gonna get a digital watch at K-Mart, but they all looked like stopwatches and kids toys. This has a little bit of dignity to it
>>
>>55032699
Do these last long on a single charge? I was gonna get one as a backup phone, but got some $15 dumbphone instead from the supermarket
>>
File: 1456200434944.png (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1456200434944.png
37 KB, 500x500
>>55026839
it's real
>>
>>55030659
i'm also considering buying the black woven nylon band for my black watch sport
>>
>>55033878
>And I don't need a message saying "did you enjoy your run" every time I jack off.
lmao
>>
File: IMG_20160612_144146.jpg (831 KB, 2500x2258) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160612_144146.jpg
831 KB, 2500x2258
I love my Garmin Fenix 3 HR
>>
Not everyone needs one by any means, but they can be useful for the right people.

In my opinion the Pebble hits the best sweet spot between functionality, battery life, and price, but if you've got money to blow and don't mind charging your watch every day I can see alternatives being better.
>>
>>55034406
>>55038147
The battery last 4-5 days and the time to recharge it is about 15-30 minutes
It can also control your phone camera so you can spy on girls,a simple calculator,pedometer all those nifty things
>>
The pebble time family is great for when you go to a convention and want to go to a lot of panels. That timeline is so good
>>
File: 1465601130738.gif (2 MB, 427x387) Image search: [Google]
1465601130738.gif
2 MB, 427x387
What are some smartwatches that have a browser built in them?
>>
>>55023616
>>55026106
What's the name of that watchface? I've been looking for a new one recently
>>
Pebble time round, I really can live without it but grown to really love controlling music playback with it. I got it because it looks the most like a watch compared to others.
>>
can't stand the pebble, looks too much like a kid toy with both it's screen and just general design
not to mention lack of apps and functionality, yeah it handles basic stuff fine but not much past it
google wear just werks and has nice fluid animation and looks, while there are ones that don't, the majority of wear watches now look like just regular watches that a self respecting adult can wear
Sure wear devices dont have week long batteries but charging every other day is worth it for the premium experience
>>
>>55022332
Pebbles are okay, I personally wouldn't buy now though.

All of the other from the "big companies" (y'know, samsung, apple, motorola, lg, etc) are just useless technology for people who want to use them as a status symbol.
>>
>>55034496

What is that?
>>
>>55026839
Even if it wasn't retarded, you have to replace your running shoes every 6 months.
>>
>>55043710
>lack of apps
>literally 4x as many apps as android wear
>>
>>55038109
where to cop?
>>
>>55022430
>wanting more from a watch

We ask for too much too soon
>>
>>55027257
Pretty sure that's image.jpg bro :^)
>>
>>55045393

What else could there be? There's some Chinese watches that let you insert a sim card to make calls straight from the watch. Most smartwatches are compatible with voice commands, so they're quite versatile.

Its probably just my limited imagination, but Im not sure what else anyone could ask for from a watch.
>>
>>55023616
The pebble looks like something a 6 year old would wear. Even the pebble steel has an interface that looks like its for 5 year olds.
>>
>wearing your botnet
>>
File: hwahtch2.jpg (1 MB, 3160x2256) Image search: [Google]
hwahtch2.jpg
1 MB, 3160x2256
Huawei watch owner, had the Moto360 V1 for 2 years before. Quality is a big step up, and I wouldn't get anything without at least an SD400 chipset. The OMAP was just too laggy at times.

I've gotten so used to glancing at the watch for texts, emails and notifications that it's hard to go back to a regular watch.

Fitness tracking, bluetooth music storage and smart lighting controls are things I use just about every day, too.
>>
>>55045450
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
Ordered the Gear Fit 2 because fitness tracking and looked halfway decent smartwatch.
>>
I've had an Urbane 2 LTE for about a week now. I don't use the LTE function - strictly WiFi/BT.

It is certainly a convenience device. So it depends how much convenience is worth to you. I have really come to appreciate not having to pull my phone out of my pocket nearly as much because I can quickly dismiss bogus notifications - it also lets me see important ones sooner on the off chance I ignore/miss notifications (from pulling out my phone) for some reason.

The Urbane 2 is the best watch out there right now. I don't think I'd accept anything less than it, for a few reasons:
>OLED screen with high PPI is a must, in my opinion... immersion is really broken seeing a backlight at night, or seeing pixels
>Perfectly round watch face also a must
>Large battery
>Mic + speaker - handles calls great
>Beefy hardware to last at least the next 2 years

I used this watch a LOT on my recent trip out of town. Get comfortable with Google Now voice commands, because that is what will really make the watch worth your while. It navigates pretty well (screen updates are slow-ish until you reach a turn, at which point it updates quickly, but it is not a constantly updating view like your phone would be). Answering calls to quickly discuss something via your wrist is surprisingly convenient, but a long conversation is awkward since, depending on surroundings/noise level, you may need to hold your wrist up close to your head.

I have Android Wear 2.0 installed currently. It is buggy as SHIT. But it has made the watch 100x more useful and efficient. Replying with a keyboard via watch face is not that hard at all, and really convenient (notice a convenience trend here?). You get a lot more info from notifications, and can use apps better (e.g. GP Music is now a lot more efficient having all the controls on one screen rather than having to swipe around to change the song, then swipe back to see what the new song title is, etc.) I saw something else that was potentially cool as (cont...)
>>
>>55050158
...as well, I received an Instagram post notification (one of those stupid ass "xxx hasn't posted in awhile - check it out") and it actually showed the picture directly on my watch face. I'm able to read entire emails, social media posts, etc. I haven't tried Chrome on it yet (apparently that's a thing with AW 2.0), but overall I'm really excited for what AW 2.0 will bring. Again, we're certainly not at a point where these watches are bringing anything new to the table... they're just an extension of your phone, a much more convenient one at that. There's just something about having access directly on your wrist that is nice, and even if your phone isn't with you (in the case of this LTE watch). Sometimes I'll leave my phone if I get up to do something quickly at home or at work, and I won't miss anything (e.g. important call) if the timing of that just happens to be bad.

I will say, one downside, is that current BT technology, at least with my S7 Edge, lowers the bitrate of music playback in my vehicle over BT when the watch is connected. I have to disconnect the watch prior to starting my car/connecting to it for the quality to be what it should be - it's not a big quality hit by any means, but it's enough that I notice a slight bit of static at high ends of the frequency range.
>>
>>55049043
Same but I had a Moto 360 for about a year and a half.
>>
>>55050245

The 360 was nice for basic stuff, but I hated the flat tire and slow chipset. The back started cracking from my steel strap, so I warrantied it and sold the replacement for 150.
>>
>>55023152
>to not miss out on the 'revolution', or to not be a luddite
This. If you've missed the train, it could impact your job prospects when you ask for referrals from people.
>>
>>55045355
/csg/.
>>
>>55022332
I like my Apple Watch
>>
>>55022332
Not ready for primetime yet.
>>
>>55046438
>>55045393
>>55022430
Quite good for driving if you turn them around to face inwards.
>>
>>55037776
Sliver. Looks good as is. You can always skin it later if you wish.
>>
>>55043270
Any android wear watch, you can download an app to browse the Web. It's similar to browsing the Web on a flip phone though. Not worth it. Drains battery like hell on my Moto 360 1st gen
>>
File: 14_201617_1.jpg (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
14_201617_1.jpg
82 KB, 640x480
Got a motoactv. I really enjoy how it runs full android although the battery life could be better. I mostly use it for covertly reading ebooks at work. If someone managed to create a good ebook reader for the Gear S I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.
>>
>>55024412
I think a smart fridge is a bretty good idea

I like the idea of the kitchen tv/radio built into the fridge

I guess the cameras inside are pretty useful if you can access them over 4G so you can see what shit you have while in the store
>>
>>55050158
How is the battery?
>>
>>55022332
not for me. prefer a real watch
>>
In descending order of respect,
- Pebble, fitness bands: neat toys
- Microsoft Band: the one serious attempt at progressing this technology which I actually respect
- Moto, Sony, Fossil, etc.: shameless cash grabs for the companies and fashion trends for the users, nothing more
- Apple: it's like watching people lose faith in God
>>
>>55052717
Pebble lineup reporting in.

Have every single model, two Classics, and two Time Steels.

Currently rocking the Time Steel.
>>
>>55052737
Good on you. If I ever did jump into the game I'd probably snag a Time. It's nice to see that they're addressing the bezels in their next generation.
>>
Get a pebble and nothing else. android wear is a fucking joke and don't even mention the iwatch.
>Wanting anything more then just a fitness tracker and notification reader
>>
File: 1465602451934.jpg (41 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
1465602451934.jpg
41 KB, 565x600
>>55047865
>not wearing a botnet
I bet you'd reject nano-tehnology too,faggot.
>>
>>55053949
I didn't ask for this.
>>
File: 1465620431700.jpg (77 KB, 637x824) Image search: [Google]
1465620431700.jpg
77 KB, 637x824
>>55053951
You never asked for internet either but you got it anyway.
>>
>>55022332
The current state of smartwatches is pretty shit, so I find them useless. I would rather have smaller phone.
>>
>>55050158
You can use smartwatch to answer calls and talk?
>>
>>55054269
yes. at least on apple watch, don't know much about the others
>>
>>55032699
My dad has one of those

It's complete shit in my eyes

I'd rather get the MiBand 2 for ~20-30 buckaroos
>>
>>55043407
Timely
>>
>>55022393
>battery life
>shit one at that
>on a watch

People buy these things?
>>
>>55051685
why the fuck would you use a watch to read ebooks
>>
>>55022332
My watch is pretty smart. It winds itself.
>>
>>55057152
Thanks anon
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.