[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me build a Battlestation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: pin.jpg (195 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
pin.jpg
195 KB, 700x467
I don't know much about technology.

I have a basic computer that I bought for $400 AUD, which I've had for 4 years. Contains: GT 430, i7-4770k.

I now wish to purchase another computer which will be only used for gaming and netflix.

I've researched and read reviews of everything in my list in 2 weeks. So my knowledge is very limited.

If you say to get "this" instead of "this" because its "better", I will take everything you say as fact.

I haven't made any purchases yet, here is the current build:

CPU: i7 6700k 4ghz.

Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth z170.

RAM: Corsair 3200 Vengeance

Storage: Kingston 240GB, Seagate 8TB

Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080

Case: Coolermaster MasterCase Pro5

Power: Corsair HX750i 750W 80+ Plat

CPU-Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80i

Monitor: AOC 27" G2770PF FHD FreeSync 144Hz 1ms

Keyboard: T TeSport Challenger Prime RGB Keyboard and mouse

Operating: Windows 10

Overall the total cost is $4200.00 AUD.

I wasn't sure on the CPU-cooler. I've never tried to 'overclock' any machine.

I'm not adamant on the build yet. From what I've read, I'm waiting 1 more month for the graphics card price to stabilize.

My knowledge on technology is just information from Youtube: 'JayzTwoCents', 'NCIX Tech Tips', 'Awesomesauce Network', 'Techquickie', 'Gamers Nexus', 'HardwareCanucks', 'LinusTechTips',
>>
>>55019346
What are all the specs of your current build? It looks like you just need to upgrade the GPU which will save you a ton of money
>>
>>55019421
>>55019421
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430
Intel i7-4770k 3.50GHz
16GB RAM
64 bit OS

What else would you like to know?
>>
>>55019346
That is an insanely overbuilt and overpriced build.

Literally all you need is a new gpu, based on
>>55019495

MAYBE a new PSU depending on how close your OEM cut it.
>>
>>55019495
What is the speed of the ram and the capacity of the PSU? So far it looks like a GPU is all you need. Your build is pretty beefy already, just the GPU sucks.
>>
>>55019346
pc building 101

1. always buy an unlocked cpu ("k" designation)
2. don't buy an oversized power supply
3. you can spend a lot of money on faster ram and see no real world performance difference
4. buy the best GPU you can afford
5. always buy nvidia unless you want to deal with constant AMD driver issues.
6. buy a decent case. the corsair obsidian series is always a safe buy.
>>
>>55019495
your current build is fine nigger just upgrade the gpu if u wanna play games
>>
How's this build? I want to keep it around $600
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/397vHx
>>
>>55019634
>1
Not always. Can overclock non Kskylake CPUs.
>2
Its fine as long as you dont spend the extra for it
>3
If you know you can use it, itll benifit a lot
>5
Bullshit.
>6
Agree, you'll be staring at that thing for years. Might as well get a good one.
>>
>>55019680
>Can overclock non Kskylake CPUs.
On the z170 motherboards. I got an i5-6500 because I know I can overclock it if I want to on my motherboard.
>>
>>55019580
I'm not sure on the speed of the ram, i just installed cpu-z. The NB frequency is 1100mhz. dram frequency 666mhz. Type ddr3.

Not sure where to find the PSU
>>
File: boom.gif (2 MB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
boom.gif
2 MB, 500x300
>>55019346
>$4200.00 AUD
Christ m8, sorry about that.

The most glaring issue that I see so far is:
>GTX 1080
>Tiny FreeSync 1080p monitor

First, Nvidia graphics cards DO NOT WORK with Free Sync, so you would be wasting the money. Nvidia uses G-Sync, which is what you want to buy.

The monitor that you chose also is only 1080p. You can run games on max settings at 1080p with a MUCH less powerful graphics card. The GTX 1080 is for running games at 1440p at high framerates or 4k at good framerates - you are absolutely wasting money if you don't have a monitor that can match your graphics card.

If you're just playing games you don't need that massive CPU either. Games are going to put demand on your graphics card, not your CPU. The i5 6600k is cheaper and already completely overkill for playing EVERY game on the market.

Finally, the Corsair H80i is neat, but liquid coolers are actually not very efficient. If you want to spend that much money on a cooler [and you don't really need to, because the new Intel CPUs run much colder] I would recommend buying a well reviewed fan in the 40-80 dollar range. The h80i still has fans by the way, and they are actually incredibly loud and cheap. I realize it's hot as shit in australia and you would be much better off using a quality fan than the RGB LED water cooler memes that Corsair and NZXT sell.

Your motherboard is also totally fucking overkill. A motherboard is a motherboard. They have a certain number of ports of a certain type - know which ones you need and then buy what you want. "Military certified" is for using in equipment that's going to be anywhere from -30 degrees to 200. You don't need it.

Also don't listen to AMD fanboys, they'll champion AMD's supposed bang-for-buck but you can find them on this board every time a new major game is released complaining about how their AMD hardware runs it like shit because the games are developed with Nvidia's software.
>>
How the fuck did you get an entire computer for 400 aud containing a 4770k
>>
>>55019346
>i7-4770k.
that cpu is really, really good. you don't need a new one.
>>
>>55019680
I've been on this board for about 5 years and every single year I see people raging about how their AMD graphics cards are "underperforming" because of Nvidia fuckery or driver issues.
>>
>>55019775
fyi my OC'd gtx780 is starting to lag behind even with one 1080p monitor. don't give that 1080 card to much credit.
>>
>>55019797
AMD graphics cards = driver problems

it's been that way for over ten years.
>>
>>55019918
that's mostly because of technological change. kepler was always doomed to fail. it's not because the 780 is weak, it's because the technology changed. power isn't always linear, the industry made a lateral movement which made kepler obsolete.
>>
>>55019634
>1. always buy an unlocked cpu ("k" designation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrfTcXQlsbs
>>
>>55019550
I actually got this case it's not as bright as in the photo
>>
>>55019949
Nvidia gimped it
>>
>>55019961
yeah and now the regular ones are barely cheaper than k. it practically doesn't matter
>>
>>55019346
Nobody has posted logicalincrements yet wtf? Read the sticky OP. Also your current computer is really good for 1080p, just the graphics card needs replacing. Get amd Rx480 at the start of July for $200 or wait for Nvidia to announce gtx 1060.
Upgrade your monitor first if you want an overkill $4200 aud build.
>>
>>55019949
and yet, 7970s and 290xs keep chugging...
>>
>>55020789
Oh was unaware that there was going to be a 1060
>>
>>55021263
It's not official, and there is no word yet, but Nvidia has had a gtx X60 of much every generation. It's in the mainstream market price range, they'd be mad to not make one.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.