[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, /o/ here as automotive technology advances, how dependent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 2016teslamodels90d-002.jpg (56 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
2016teslamodels90d-002.jpg
56 KB, 770x433
Hey /g/, /o/ here

as automotive technology advances, how dependent of software development will the car industry be?

Tesla as an example, has been able to increase the range and so on of their EV's with simple software updates, and as more manufacturers release more EV's, shouldn't the industry need more and more codemonkeys/compsci neets like us as time passes instead of mechanical engineers?

Or will the automotive industry always be dominated by mechanical engineers?

tl;dr - do you see software development becoming a bigger part in the automotive industry as EV's and technology advances?

thanks
>>
>>55015218
>how dependent of software development will the car industry be?
It already is, you retard.

This is why technical boards are shit, no one knows anything.
>>
>>55015218
>Tesla as an example, has been able to increase the range and so on of their EV's with simple software updates
I'm not sure that's exactly an accurate characterization. More like they've been able to cripple it with software you can pay to remove.
>>
>>55015248

okay, i see

Could you go more in depth of what processes of developing a car involve software development, besides general car entertainment interfaces?

ECU mapping doesn't count either

no need to be so rude, anon

thanks
>>
>>55015296
>Could you go more in depth of what processes of developing a car involve software development, besides general car entertainment interfaces?
Uh, pretty much every digital system on a vehicle today? Engine management controllers, transmission controllers, cars with active differentials have controllers for that, ABS controllers, HVAC controllers if it doesn't just have cables going to the blend door and shutters.

Some use straight up off the shelf solutions, some integrate off the shelf solutions, others make custom solutions. This isn't new, this has been about the last 25 years.
>>
>>55015377
Interesting, didn't think of that.

thanks, man
>>
Self driving technology will spur many software jobs

nobody wants to hire neets regardless of how smart cars become
>>
>>55015418
If you're looking for really in depth technical information, you'll want to research embedded systems design and development. I think there are quite a few SAE white papers on it, but it's been a while since I looked.
>>
>>55015218
It is easier to teach mechanical engineers some programming on the side than to teach programmers some engineering
>>
>>55015505
>It is easier to teach mechanical engineers some programming
Trust that is not at all what goes on here.
>>
>>55015296
Actually everything from testing virtual models to constructing the car is already done with software devolped for automotive industry.
In the german car industry big parts of self driving are developed without a physical cars present.
Tesla knows shit about automotive technology. Everything they have is build by others.

/g/ really knows shit.
>>
>>55015613
>>55015490
>>55015613

Nice, i wasn't aware of that

>>55015505
You're killing me anon, im a compsci major
>>
>>55015505
Actually you need engineers that can talk to programmers and programmers that understand what a engineer wants.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.