[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't believe you faggots keep defending this Elol cunt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7
File: cucks.jpg (681 KB, 991x957) Image search: [Google]
cucks.jpg
681 KB, 991x957
Can't believe you faggots keep defending this Elol cunt

>9000 dollaroos for locked on car content
>>
>>55013674
friend, reddit is that way---> www.reddit.com
>>
>>55013688
Elol cult member detected
>>
Nobody is defending it
>>
yo thats a damn fine business model

t. not a bleeding heart bitch

t. not motherfucking OP

t. go fuck your mother OP
>>
LEL DRM ON A CAR

YOU FAGGOTS CAUSED THIS

YOU MADE YOUR BED
NOW LIE IN IT

ENJOY
HAHAHAHAA
>>
> People are surprised the botnets car has DRM
>>
>>55013674
Electrocucks will ruin one of the last bastions of freedom, cars. Next your car will forcefully take you to wherever the manufacturer has partnerships with first before actually taking you where you initially wanted to go so you could check out all the awesome offers they have for you.
>>
Can Tesla cars play 10 bit anime
>>
>>55013801
Start walking then you fat fuck
>>
Mercedes has been doing that shit for years. Scummy move but at least Tesla lets you upgrade later
>>
Can't you just torrent it? lol
>>
Which linux distro is best for my Tesla, /g/?
>>
>not downloading the crack from thepirratebay
>>
>>55013674
if they can hack consoles i don't see why this wouldn't be hackable, especially considering that you could charge as much as $4500 for an "unofficial" upgrade and no one would bat an eye
>>
>>55013674
>You wouldn't download a car.
>>
>>55014252
They can play full 1080p anime
>>
>>55013674
literal jew
>>
>>55014416
Introducing the new Botnet Sidewalk (TM). You strap your feet into it and it carries you to our sponsors' locations, for free!
>>
>>55014855
>>55014872
>torrent upgrade + crack
>install
>drive to work
>doors lock
>car heads towards nearest cliff, won't stop till you send bitcoins to someone
>>
>shit in cars does not cost as much as they sell it for
also this is not the first time DRM has been employed in a car nor will it be the last

>>55014884
you'd be surprised, certain things like key immobilizers have been surprisingly hard to circumvent by third parties (keyless entry is kind of a joke, and it does depend on the model). more importantly for such a major vehicle component, even if it was hackable if there was ever a problem with the battery the manufacturer would disclaim it. for $9,000 I'm pretty sure it would be trivial to put a strong cryptographic signature on the firmware mechanism and sign each update file based off the battery serial based on a secret known at time of manufacture.
>>
>>55014869
debian
>>
>>55014921
This is how I picture the future
>>
>>55013674
nVidia auto for gimped mileage on old models?
>>
>>55014923
if it's made by humans, it can be cracked by humans. i'm not saying it won't take a long time, but every hacker/programmer on the planet is going to try to crack it because there's lots of money to be made if someone succeeds.
>>
>>55014907
Kek
>>

THOUSANNNDDDD
>>
>>55013674
This will never affect you. If Tesla cars ever get to the point where anyone other than the most insufferable tech CEOs can get their hands on one there will immediately be hundreds of options for upgrading them yourself. That $9000 turns into $5 on aliexpress as soon as there's a market for it.
>>
So the S60 is better?
>>
>>55014894
Too bad there are only a handful of native 1080p animes out there.
>>
>>55015103
if tesla get to that point and have the autodrive feature it will be illegal to drive a modified one
>>
>>55015103
> That $9000 turns into $5 on aliexpress as soon as there's a market for it.
Nah, they can see logs. There's basically an online DRM.
>>55013674
Everybody does that. It's cheaper to produce one car and then add features on demand, if possible.
>>
>paying for the privilege of a shorter battery life for a battery that likely costs an assload more than $9,000

These Jews are fucking pro
>>
>>55015193
>Nah, they can see logs. There's basically an online DRM.
As there's for lots of already pirated software, the fact it doesn't exist doesn't imply it can't.

Maybe it'll run off of insecure 3rd party servers, maybe it'll run a capped offline version, maybe each person will have to run it's own server, no one knows, but to say it's impossible is very foolish.
>>
Can't wait for driveless cars to take off

>tfw sleep in car until you arrive at work

although maybe when that happens we are gonna shift to public transportation and nobody's gonna own a car since no drivers means they can have way more buses and cabs on the roads.
>>
>>55013674
Install gentoo

http://www.su-tesla.space/2016/04/gentoo-tesla-t2-edition.html
>>
>>55013688
only redditors defend tesla and that fraud elon musk

go back to /r/4chan you self hating cuck faggot
>>
>>55015260
>future
>public transportation

There'll probably be a carpooling startup bought and maintained by either google or facebook, everyone will use that.
>>
>>55013674
I don't think anyone would defend that. Unfortunately the people buying Tesla are smart idiots with lots of money meaning they don't care.
>>
>>55015222
This just in. A 49 year old soccer mom kills 19 people because she thought her pirated car software was safe.
>>
What if they save money and strains the environment less by making all of them the same, higher version instead of having separate version? Odds are you'll end up paying the fee later on, even if you didn't feel like dropping that much money on the car in the beginning. It's a win-win.
>>
>>55014889
lel
>>
>>55015495
>strain the environment less by putting more rare earth minerals and non-recyclable materials than the client is paying for, hoping that he will pay more for them in the future
>if he does not, there's just more trash to take care of in the end

It's definitely not a win-win for the environment.
>>
>>55015586
Lots of chemical emission can be reduced by upscaling production. True, you use more resources though, but if you're gonna upgrade anyway. Say you buy the lower end car, and feel like it's getting old after 5-6 years. You could drop some money on already produced stuff, that's in your car instead of buying a new car and all that comes with that.
>>
>>55015586
it's just a couple 18650 cells more, nothing rare earth-y in them nor are they non-recyclable.
>>
>>55015586
What rare earth metals do you think are present in these cars?
>>
>>55013674
>Dlcs for cars
Ayyyy
>>
I could not give less shit about this car.
>>
>>55015618
Currently none of the options offered would make your car feel more fresh, or "new-er". You could maybe argue the range increase, but it seems quite small and depending on how Tesla handles the ageing of the power cells, it'd be a very short-lived "breath of fresh air".

They'd need to "hide" even more upgrades in there for a situation like the one you speak of to actually seem viable. Who knows, maybe if this takes off, they will.

>>55015633
>>55015672

I was talking more about the whole set of extra tools for the autopilot upgrade. That's a lot of fancy equipment that does nothing unless you unlock the firmware.
>>
>>55013674
So when will we be seeing people jailbreaking their cars? I figure this is going to be more difficult that jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting an Android, because I bet there are laws in place already that would forbid you from tampering with your vehicle.
>>
>>55015704
Thats because you are poor and peasant
>>
>>55015736
Don't need any new laws, 100% sure it voids the warranty and with those cars it's even more of a big deal than usual, seeing how normally you get a lot of extra care and services for "free" to make them run better and be easier to use.
>>
>>55015706
autopilot seems pretty cool and new.
Imo it's a moral grayzone. Part of it is brilliant and part of it is pure corporate moneygrabbing. Gotta wait and see what their philosophy with it is.
>>
File: gno.jpg (1 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
gno.jpg
1 MB, 3872x2592
>mfw the thousands who mocked us, who called us freetards and made light of our convictions, get cucked by their beloved proprietary software
>mfw proprietary shills are finally forced to bear the burden of their shortsightedness
>mfw /g/ was right again
>>
>>55015782
If you didn't want it when you bought the car, I don't think you will be willing to pay even more for it when you already feel like your car is getting old and busted. That's what I meant.

I agree is seems new and cool on its own though.
>>
>>55015706
>I was talking more about the whole set of extra tools for the autopilot upgrade.
No, you said rare earth "minerals". What rare earths do you think are in these cars?
>>
This isn't uncommon nor is it surprising. Consumer electronics have been doing this for years.
>>
>>55015780
On the other hand, people in this thread might be shitting on Musk, but this is common practise in autoland. Not that I'm defending this shitty practise. Plenty of car manufacturers sell cars with engines that are limited via software, and you can buy a 'sports' model with the exact same engine for a higher price. Part of the reason chip tuning exists.
To answer your post, I'm pretty sure chip tuning is legal. Why wouldn't it be legal to jailbreak your car to squeeze more range and performance from the battery banks? I can imagine it becoming illegal once the autopilot feature becomes involved, though.
>>
File: VW_e-up!_at_Hannover_Messe.jpg (177 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
VW_e-up!_at_Hannover_Messe.jpg
177 KB, 1280x768
It's the same shit as ordering a car with a non standard paint or with leather interiors.
Tesla are still a bunch of moneygrubbing jews though and it won't be them who start selling cheap electric cars for the masses.
>>
lol car DLC
>>
>>55013674
>I don't understand battery conditioning

Look at this way, tesla is basically giving you a $9k discount for keeping its batteries in better shape so they can be repurposed later in cheaper models or in powerwalls
>>
>>55015434
kek
>>
Will someone eventually come up with open source software for it?
>>
>yfw 2020 is the year of GNU/car
>Will never get past the alpha stage
>Tesla just werks â„¢
>>
so... shady russian software unlocker when?
>>
>>55015822
Same as in most modern consumer electronics, plus the ones used in radar and sensor technologies. I didn't memorise the whole list, so I won't name the exact ones.

Not like I could name them even if I did know the name of each and every one, since you'd need to be a Tesla insider or at least someone who knows exactly what solutions they are using, so that you could be 100% sure what gets used to make them.

Pretty sure you can't make either of the parts mentioned in the image without using any though, hence my claim.

I said minerals, because the context was it being easier on the environment, which the extraction of those minerals is not. I guess there's always recycling, which China does, but their methods seem just as harmful.
>>
>>55015974
So you have no idea what you're talking about, then. Got it.
>>
>>55014968

And I am the one charging the Bitcoins.
>>
>>55015994
So you don't know that you need such materials in such "simple" things as an LCD or high quality capacitors, as well as majority of the current equipment mentioned in the image. Good.
>>
>>55015884
That may depends on the local laws. Any tampering with the software and hardware voids the warranty here. Even servicing your car outside of approved shops (none of which would offer such service) shortens or voids it.
>>
File: ftYRzf2.jpg (70 KB, 1103x236) Image search: [Google]
ftYRzf2.jpg
70 KB, 1103x236
It just is easier to disable the things than it is to not have them installed in the first place and then later install them when the customer wants.
>>
>>55015969

Underrated post
>>
>>55016110
>. Even servicing your car outside of approved shops (none of which would offer such service) shortens or voids it.
This is not true.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance#do
>>
>pay for arbitrary restrictions to be lifted
Where have I seen this before?
>>
File: default.jpg (194 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
default.jpg
194 KB, 600x392
>>55016170
Oh, that's right
>>
>>55013727
What does t. mean
>>
There's no point for companies like Tesla to make better software if it sells for the same price as what they already have.

Your options are for them to not bother making a better car OS, or for them to make it and sell it.

Given their small userbase, the price has to be high to recoup the loss developing it.
>>
>>55016185
meh its got a place in the market.
I get why consumers feel like they were cheated with shit like this

But they never think about the cost of things.

They paid $100 and got a $100 product,
They find out about these arbitrary restrictions they can pay to remove
They get upset why they didn't get a $200 product for $100
Get more upset that it costs $100 to remove the restrictions
>>
>>55016202
It means tip as in tips fedora
>>
>>55015822
Huge amounts of lithium and either cobalt or manganese, depending on if Tesla uses LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4 (fuck google keyboard for not having subscript). Plus, large amounts of silicon and other associated computation materials.
>>
>>55016163
Again, local laws. I wasn't talking about the US. Here you get a short warranty that's less demanding and then an extended warranty that you only get if you follow a set of arbitrary rules, this being one of them.

Then there's also the fact that cars which you pay for through leases or loans often have a clause in the terms about how it can only be serviced at authorised partners. Again, here, dunno about the US.

Oh, and as per usual, if they can prove that the failure was caused by misuse and tampering, they can refuse to repair it through warranty.

So yeah, here people only chip cars that are already too old to be on warranty anyway, or were bought second hand.
>>
>>55016268
none of which are rare earth metals.
>>
Tesla is the master of memes. They went full "we make the world a better place : we release all our patents so that technology can improve n stuff". Turns out Musk became rich by being a greedy fuck.

>>55016202
It comes from Finnish memeboards. Basically, "t." is short for "terveisin" or "terkkuja" which translates to "greetings" or "yours truly". As if ending a letter or a postcard.
>>
>>55016233
Don't they have some sort of a sub deal where you pay a monthly fee for extra services already?
>>
>>55015706
>>55015586
Yeah, maybe standarizing the main components of the drivetrain could work like it used to happen with semis and other heavy duty trucks, you could easily put any combination in as long as there was enough space for it.
>>
>>55016295
How about neodymium for the motor magnets?

Mining for lithium and cobalt and the like are still extremely bad for the environment though.
>>
>>55015955
ctrl-f "conditioning"
>1 of 1 matches

this is the only right answer in this thread
>>
>>55016384
motors are asynchronous, no magnets.
>>
File: distros_1449200273404.png (40 KB, 310x293) Image search: [Google]
distros_1449200273404.png
40 KB, 310x293
>>55014869
>>
>>55016384
>How about neodymium for the motor magnets?
There are no permanent magnets in these types of motor, they work like an alternator.
>Mining for lithium
Isn't a thing. The only 'mined' lithium is a byproduct.
>>
>>55016301
I don't know what that entails.
I thought it was for charging for free at their charging stations.
>>
>>55016483
There was also a battery swap program that didn't do very well.
>>
Musk's only talent is how to get government money
>>
>>55016268
Holy fuck bud you need to stop. You are talking about things you've obviously only skimmed over very briefly.
>>
>>55016628
finally someone dropped the truth
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.