[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HI fag/g/ots. Help a noob out. Replaced my old stock CPU cooler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Snapchat-7146193790787817343.jpg (820 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7146193790787817343.jpg
820 KB, 1440x2560
HI fag/g/ots. Help a noob out. Replaced my old stock CPU cooler with a new one. Remove thermal and reapplied new. But it's running hot.

I have tighten screws and both fans are spinning.
>>
you don't have enough fans.
>>
https://m.imgur.com/a/mOdd4
http://imgur.com/a/7NDe2 images
>>
>>55011082
Well there's your problem, you attached the heat sink in the wrong orientation. It's taking the heat from the GPU to the CPU.
>>
>>55011108
This
>>
>>55011108
It can be installed both ways but yeah I will try tO change the direction of the airflow. It was way too high just for the gpu heat. It went to 80 degrees only running prime95
>>
http://i.imgur.com/4wCufZW.jpg backplate. Should i remove this "plastic"? It doesn't say anything about removing it but it seems easy to take off.
>>
>>55011038
turn the sumbitch so it doesnt suck up hot GPU air and dont use as much thermal paste you chode
>>
>>55011281
>only running prime 95
>only while using a power virus
>>
>>55011281
>It can be installed both ways
One of those ways is wrong.
>>
>>55011635
http://imgur.com/uQU6gQO
It depends on how your setup is but either way. I changed the orientation and applied new thermal.
>>
>>55011375
No, the black things are there to create more pressure, just make sure you install it properly, some backplates only got one way because some screws get in the way.
>>
>>55011281
>only running prime95
>"Gee, I wonder why running a stress test shot my temps way up?"
>>
File: heat02.jpg (336 KB, 1149x1019) Image search: [Google]
heat02.jpg
336 KB, 1149x1019
Imma just gonna hijack this thread, does i7 6700k require water cooling? I have Thermalright Macho 120 heat sink, which in it self is huge enough to passively cool less powerful CPUs, and a Noctua fan. Temps shoot up to 80 at which point the processor throttles, shit sucks.
>>
>>55012526
I ran it for 15 seconds and it was up to 80 degrees. You downsyndrom kid
>>
>>55013075
Prime 95 will make your CPU way hotter than any other normal use program. Do whatever you do with your pc and see what the max temp is after a while- should be no where near 80c.
>>
>>55011281
Don't use any prime95 versions after 26.6 for stress testing newer CPUs.

I can't remember exactly why but there's some issue with the latest versions that causes newer Intel CPUs to get extremely hot.

The load that prime95 provides is completely unrealistic so you don't need to worry. I'd probably just encode a large video with handbrake to check your temps instead.

My overclocked i5 4690k hit 100 degrees within seconds of running the latest version of prime95, but I kept my overlock and during actual load I only ever hit around 70 degrees.
>>
>>55011038
The way paste is spread on your CPU makes me think the cooler might be tilted somehow or mounted in such a way that it does not contact the CPU evenly.
>>
>>55011038
That top rear exhaust fan has air blowing directly in the case which normally is not a bad thing, but you also have one of your cpu fans blowing hot air right in front of it. Switch that exhaust fan to blow air out of the case and start using common sense with airflow it's really fucking easy.
>>
>>55014409

this. drop a rice grain sized blob in the center then evenly distribute pressure on it.

and leave that plastic thing on the back intact.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.