[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are vidya programmers the best programmers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: John-Carmack_BIO-ver2011.jpg (791 KB, 1000x1406) Image search: [Google]
John-Carmack_BIO-ver2011.jpg
791 KB, 1000x1406
Are vidya programmers the best programmers?
>>
video games devs these days depend too much on the best specs instead of doing their shit more efficient
>>
>>55010459
idk but carmack is amazing
>>
crack programmers > all
>>
They were before middleware. Now everyone is a Unity scriptkiddie writing spaghetti code.
>>
>>55010459
>best programmers
>wasting time and talent into making products for manchildren
ayy lmao good1 m8
>>
>>55010594
>wasting time
i love this /g/ meme
>>
>>55010594
t. 4chan user
>>
>>55010751
How did you know I was a 4chan user? You NSA or something?
>>
>>55010459
There is no "vidya game programmer", its more like "engine programmer" or "game designer": Carmack is an excellent engine prog, and Romero is an excellent game designer
>>
>>55010587
/thread
>>
Bank programmers are
>>
>>55010594
lol i'm sure you accomplished a lot more than carmack
>>
>>55010902
he realised game programming is for plebs and started doing rocket shit
>>
no, most of them are pants-by-the-seat programmers. they write garbage because they are all hack frauds.

carmack is the only good vidya programmer, he is abnormal because he is just a god programmer in any field. unparalleled by almost any SINGLE man.
>>
>>55010926
dont move the goalposts, retard
>>
>>55010926
His rocket company was sponsored by Nvidia and he still worked on games the entire time it was running and he still is.
>>
>>55010938
naw pham, game programmers have always been god tier
even back in the earliest days, they had to reverse-engineer undocumented hardware and learn assembly to make games that ran worth a shit
they literally had to discover things no one else knew
read hackers and racing the beam
>>
also i laugh at all the retards on this board who think you're a lesser man for learning how to program a game

programming games is the best way to teach yourself logic, linus torvalds did it and he doesn't even like video games
>>
>>55011011
I made a game in java lol
>>
>>55010507
blame the industry, not the programmers.
>>
>>55010571
Yes, they're very good at getting people to install their malware.
>>
>>55010976
I am not you dumb fuck. He did worthless shit until he started doing space shit. Kill yourself honestly.
>>
>>55011169
upvoted!
>>
>>55011187
Thanks bud
>>
>>55010459
>vidya corporations can't patch their older games / make new ones good enough to use all cores on a CPU for millions of dollars
>GNU neckbeards do it for free while watching chinese lewd cartoons about confused boys.
>>
File: cp.jpg (95 KB, 690x450) Image search: [Google]
cp.jpg
95 KB, 690x450
>>55010459
>Carmack loves pizza.
>During his time at id Software, a medium pepperoni pizza would arrive for Carmack from Domino's Pizza almost every day - carried by the same delivery person for more than 15 years. Carmack had been such a regular customer that they still charge him 1995 prices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carmack#Personal_life_and_philosophy
>>
>>55011488
No wonder everyone here sucks his dick
>>
>>55010459
Best programmers are application developers for engineering products.
>>
Not necessarily. I mean, they're good with performance-minded programming, at least engine programmers and the oldtimers. Though, as mentionde before in this thread, nowadays a lof of them can only scramble together terrible scripts in a premade engine. All the best game programmers pretty much got into the business in the late 80s to 90s, latest in the early 2000s, nowadays people just don't understand general things like how memory works. Back when you had to figure out how to do 3D on software, damn, I just feel like I was born too late and additionally, got into programming too late in my life.
>>
>>55010459
In the past game devs were passionate enough to learn different assembly and heavy code optimisations to make games on different shitty-spec machines.
These guys were really good developers, we still have great engineers but they are doing low level stuff and they're not game designer, level deisgner or whatever buzzword post.
The work done in the emulator world is really amazing, they find really clever ways to resolve problems
>>
File: 1447921043042_0.jpg (7 KB, 180x210) Image search: [Google]
1447921043042_0.jpg
7 KB, 180x210
>>55011488
>John Carmack's personal life and philosophy:
>Carmack loves pizza
>>
Game devs today script premade engines. Game devs in Carmack's time were pioneers. There was no book or tutorial on creating 3D games. They literally invented it from scratch.
>>
>>55010594
And also draining their money.
Only reason they do it.
>>
>>55011488
I saw some video about some guy who ate nothing but pizza and was in great health. I think it's a superfood.
>>
>>55010459
idk but they definitely have a higher effort/work to pay ratio than other types of programmers.
>>
>>55012532
That guy has diabetes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8V1EZNI8A
Then there's ulillillia, he's alright but he degreases his pizza like a civilized man.
>>
File: haha_shit_fuck_surprised_fug.png (282 KB, 422x768) Image search: [Google]
haha_shit_fuck_surprised_fug.png
282 KB, 422x768
>>55011488
>As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of kids steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.
>>
>>55012532
if it's made the proper italian way it's quite nutritious. Just got to watch the calories, that's all.
>>
>>55012706
The guy just said pizza wasn't all he ate, just that he ate pizza every day. And well, pizza in that sort of a died is simply sort of like bread or pasta, carbs with cheese that is.
>>
>>55012706
This. Proper pizza can be a well balanced meal. The American kind that's all cheese and dough is far from proper pizza though.
>>
>>55012664
Not even surprised, he does feel a little cold on the emotional side, so he might well be a psychopath in the psychological sense of the word.
>>
>>55012614
>google "pizza degrease"
>second result is literally ulililia's website

ebin
>>
>>55012829
He's pretty well known for it because of the fact he only eats pizza (I don't know if that's still true today), people wanted to know how he's not overweight or dead yet.
>>
>>55010459
pretty much >>55010587
but even then it was 50/50
there were some pretty incredible game developers in the '80s and early '90s, you had to be to make use of anemic shitty home computer hardware, but there were still a bunch of retards making insecure and crash-prone kludges

in the modern era game devs are some of the biggest perpetrators of the "my code isn't shit, your computer is shit!" meme and are no better than webdev hipsters in the end, just look at fucking bethesda
>>
>>55010926
He actually stated the exact opposite in front of NASA engineers and rocket science experts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWRc1wK3gM
>>
>>55010459
stallman is best programmer
>>
>>55011183
>implying space shit isn't just as worthless
fuck off pop scientist
>>
>>55012664
Haha holy shit, Carmack is a baller
>>
>>55010998
This so much man. Pains me that alot of people forget shit like Rollercoaster Tycoon is written entirely in assembly, and Civilization runs on some the cheapest hardware even for it's time.
>>
>>55010926
ez rekt
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.