[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games and Resolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1459018003023.png (397 KB, 482x468) Image search: [Google]
1459018003023.png
397 KB, 482x468
I know this is a stupid question but I have to ask it

Do I have to change my PC's resolution to 4K as well as changing the resolution of the game I'm playing or do game settings override the PC's resolution? ie, will changing game settings make it 4K or downscaled to native? I use a 4K TV but have my PC in 1080 for various reasons. I'm testing Overwatch and I'm surprised my 970 is handling 4K at 60fps.
>>
right click on desktop > nvidia control panel
there you set up desktop resolution

ingame graphics settings > there you set up the game display resolution

if your desktop is 1080p and overwatch 4k your screen should flicker when you launch the game which is normal
>>
>>55009376
if you can't tell the difference, then you are a pleb and have no need for 4k anyway.
>>
>>55009415
So without doing this, it was just downsampled to 1080 before.

>>55009434
I genuinely don't notice a damn difference
>>
>>55009376
if the screen is 4k and the games settings say 4k then the GPU is rendering and outputting video at 1080p, the TV has an internal upscaler that stretches the 1080p image up to 4k

if the screen is 1080p and you had the game set to 4k then usually the screen outputs a "out of signal range" error or something along those lines rather than downscaling

Downsampling on the other hand (or downscaling if you will) is when it doesn't output the error and scales down the image resulting in a superb anti-aliasing solution

NVIDA calls the feature DSR (Dynamic Super resolution)
AMD calls it VSR (Virtual Super Resolution)
before this people called it SSAA or just Downsampling
>>
>>55009733
>games settings say 4k
game setting say 1080p*
>>
>>55009733
>>55009751
I get that, I just needed clarity on whether the game was restricted by my PC's resolution outside of the game, so if I raise Overwatch to 4K (with my 4K TV) it will actually go to 4K, and not be bound to a 1080p display because that's what the PC desktop resolution is.
>>
>>55010215
If Overwatch is in fullscreen mode then the screen will go back when switching from your 1080p desktop to the 4k game

If the game is windowed at 4k on a 1080p desktop then the other 3/4th of the Overwatch game window will just hang off the screen in unviewable space
>>
>>55010266
>go back
go black*

I am just awful today, it'll switch to 4k then switch back to 1080p when you close the game automatically
>>
>>55010279
>>55010266
Thanks for the help. It was a stupid question after all.
>>
>>55009733
>resulting in a superb anti-aliasing solution
this is actually a very poor and resource-intensive way of doing anti-aliasing.

MSAA uses shared luminance to reduce the amount of work by ~3x, and modern anti-aliasing (FXAA, MLAA) uses a shader which is ~10x faster and does not consume additional memory like SSAA.
>>
>>55010302
superb in its effect not in its cost

honestly before the current gen any ole mid to high range GPU was kicking the shit out of the PS3 and 360 so if you could run a game you could still run it fine with SSAA.

If your card is a 4k card and you only have a 1080p or 1440p monitor then you could get away with it, if you have a 4k monitor and a 4k card you probably wont be using any AA anyway.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.