[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>expensive laptop dies, still on warranty >send out to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1465530722637.png (361 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
1465530722637.png
361 KB, 400x394
>expensive laptop dies, still on warranty
>send out to manufacturer, find shitty old laptop to use in meantime
>hdd dead, buy ssd, install lubuntu because not blowing money on another wangblows license and also am newest newfag to linux
>easy install
>oh but how do i get software gay wtf
>oh, this thing says to "apt-get cache search [name]"
>oh, okay, there it is. so now i...uh, "sudo apt-get install [name]"
>that's it? i thought this was supposed to be a headache or something hard
>fast forward a couple hours
>web browsing and listening to tunage perfectly fine on 2GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 2.1GHz Intel Scameron processor

why isn't 2016 year of the linux desktop? this is pretty comfy. it'd only be more perfect if i had a laptop with a better battery since this doesn't even need fast hardware. Assuming most distros have this kind of performance, or even if they don't since lubuntu's a "lightweight" distro, i kind of feel compelled to tell people about this.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>55005977
it's not as easy as noobuntu, right? i'll actually give it a shot once i get my other laptop back. i'm still trying to get down terminal stuff though.
>>
Start with superiorarch
>>
>>55005968
>why isn't 2016 year of the linux desktop?
Because for most (all) professional applications, drivers, etc. are already devving for windows.
Linux is a little better overall but it's not vastly better than windows unless you're using some extremely low-end machine as you are.
>>
>>55005993
>tfw babbys first grep
it's magic desu
>>
>>55005968
>year of linux desktop
>installs on laptop
2013 was already year of linux laptop were still waiting on desktop though.
>>
File: mascot_konqi-dev-kde.png (2 MB, 3497x4947) Image search: [Google]
mascot_konqi-dev-kde.png
2 MB, 3497x4947
>>55005968
Now imagine having a machine with proper openGL support and running the KDE desktop.
Shit's so cash.
>>
>>55005968
>if i had a laptop
sudo apt-get install powertop && sudo powertop --auto-tune

You're welcome.
>>
>>55005968
You should really try apt.
Then it is simply
apt search
or
sudo apt install
>>
>>55005968
>not blowing money on another wangblows license
KMSpico is a thing, anon.
>>
They are, the problem this board suffers from is that CS dropouts are inclined to use something more "hardcore" and then think that the average person will be remotely interested, then that person is ruined because they think everything else will be the same. Vast majority of "linux sucks" comments come from arch, gentoo, slackware. I always see journalists writing the same fud "linux just isn't *ready* for the mainstream yet" and in the bottom they were using some 5 year old version of one of these... where the fuck do they get their hands on it.

The difference between /g/ and every other board is that while other boards have a crowd that's deeper into the board topic, on /g/ you have to be an angry CS dropout that's trained in unix for years to be able to use your shitty, obscure distro. The gap between the extreme people on /g/ and casual browsers is much, much larger than anywhere else.
>>
>>55006089
thank you, are terminal programs just as common as GUI ones? can you browse the web from the terminal?
>>
>>55006138
>that's trained in unix for years to be able to use your shitty, obscure distro
I still had to mess with configuration files to get touchpad to work like it should. And that was on Ubuntu, no shitty disto that nobody uses.
There are also people who don't know how to rollback from Windows 10, which is like two clicks away in GUI and it reminds you after installation that you can do that.
Do you expect these people to be able to use any operating system?
>>
>>55006138
im not a fucking cs dropout. trying to find part time work so i can move out before i start my cs program does not make me a fucking cs dropout
>>
File: 1465234239.png (143 KB, 1439x899) Image search: [Google]
1465234239.png
143 KB, 1439x899
>>55006166
Yes you can, thats how you install Gentoo. There is a mail client for the terminal (mutt), file browser (ranger or cp/mv/cd), web browser (forgot name), media player (vlc) and others. You can almost do everything from a terminal.

Pic related, me writing java in a terminal
>>
>>55006138
cs dropout here install debian
>>
>if i had a 4chan pass i could shitpost in ultimate minimalism
this is fucking sweet. in the terminal it said the package was 2MB. how much is the actual program uncompressed? 3MB?
>>
>>55005968
because linux never works on new hardware.
>>
most people can't into linux, get buttmad and declare it useless. Meanwhile, any significant application of computing power is 99% powered by linux.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.