[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one good reason to get a macbook air over this piece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
Give me one good reason to get a macbook air over this piece of shit, or any other budget netbooks.

Intended uses:
>taking notes in class
>shitposting
>watching movies, episodes, and YouTube
>general web browsing

$220 vs $1400

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-100s
>>
A$ btw.
>>
>>55005064

the surface is also a really good choice. a little expensive though. It looks nice too.
>>
>>55005064
Literally no one on /g/ would suggest getting a Macbook air. But your cheap ass chinktop would be just as bad.

>watching movies on a 1366x768 TN screen
>>
because it's a macbook
>>
>>55005064
Because it is crap quality
Get a used ThinkPad for half the price
>>
File: 1462850624380.png (23 KB, 618x562) Image search: [Google]
1462850624380.png
23 KB, 618x562
>>55005064
fuck off
>>
>>55005064
because the screen sucks to actually watch movies, unless you're hooking it up to a tv or something
>>
>>55005064
Maybe because my Galaxy S6 have a biggest display ?
>>
>>55005064
Thanks for using a trip, I can add you to my filter.
>>
>>55005064
Buy the cheap piece of shit, it may be a lesson for life. I mean, it's really not just about the price, it's about how much your time and your nerves are worth to you. Will you enjoy being frustrated with that netbook every single day? It will be slow, like everything you do will take twice or three times the time it could, everything will lag and stutter, you can't keep a lot of shit open, RAM will probably be full with a web browser and eight tabs open. The display will have atrocious viewing angles, bad colors etc. Everything will work, eventually, but it won't be nice at all.

Anyway, it's not like your choice is "Literally the most underspecced computer in existence" or "MacBook Air", there's a lot in between those two. Get a decent notebook with a 13" IPS screen, 8GB of RAM and at least somewhat capable CPU.
>>
>>55005064
you can wait for the ultra cheap zen laptops
>>
>>55005181
Why the fuck would it be slow you retard?
>>
>>55005074
Thanks anon. But again, any serious reason to choose it over the netbook for such basic use?

>>55005082
The screen has a higher pixel density than most desktops.

>>55005086
They sell used thinkpads for A$110?
That aren't single core celerons?

>>55005088
Don't wanna

>>55005111
Only to watch shit on public transport. Most my content is already 720p unfortunately.

>>55005112
Congratulations.

>>55005177
You're welcome :')

>>55005181
It's actually pretty smooth from what I've seen in store.
But got any suggestions for what you've described?

>>55005186
How long must I wait?
>>
>>55005224
idk they showed them off at the conference but I think zen got delayed
>>
>>55005064

Cheapo netbook user here, currently shitposting from an N3050 HP Stream.

It works, but it's noticeably slow. Battery life on Windows 10 is anywhere from 6-10 hours. You can run firefox with a 10 or so tabs, 720p60 youtube will drop frames unless its the only thing running. You can play old games like hitman 1. Atmel studio 7 will make you want to use a plain text editor.

What do you want to know?
>>
>>55005217
2 GB of RAM? An Intel Atom CPU? As I said, it will work eventually, but if you have any standards, you will be frustrated with its performance. Some day you probably will want to run more than two tabs in a browser at a time and then it will certainly shit the bed, start swapping like a motherfucker etc. It's just not a nice experience. OP doesn't sound particularly poor and if I had the choice, I'd go with something that won't feel like shit.
>>
>>55005297
>performance too shit to run atmel studio
holy fucking shit, get a used thinkpad, x220s are 300$ when you get them from a used laptop store with warranty and everything and they run fucking simulink no problem
>>
>>55005418

It doesn't run Atmel Studio too badly, I managed to finish my semester project with this machine. The only problem opening or creating new projects was super slow, once you're in the main interface everything works.

Instead of getting a cummed up x220 I'll save my money and that new $500 thinkpad that's actually an ideapad.
>>
>>55005064
I've got an asus t100ta. Similar specs, same uses as you and it runs great. 720p60fps gets a little choppy if you have more than 4 tabs open in opera though.

5/7 would buy again.
>>
>>55005470
shit nigger i got my x220 w/ ips for 130 + brand new keyboard and palmrest for 35 but sure go ahead and spend 500 on something slower and flimsier that will probably die sooner than a used x220 not my money.
>>
Soo anyone, got good advice, I want to buy myself a Thinkpad t420s here are the specs:
Lenovo (T420S) ThinkPad T420s
- 14 inch
- Intel i5 2,5 GHz with 2 cores
- RAM: 4 GB
- FLASH: 128GB
- GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
- Optical: Yes, DVD
-RW
- Webcam: Ja
- Resolutie: 1600x900 pixels
- Keyboard Layout: Qwerty: International
- Windows 7 Pro
- Used condition, with no damages.

> Lenovo Tpd t420s for the price of: 299 Euro's.
>>
>>55005525
300 Euros is fucking dogshit for a T420s. I got a T430 with way better specs for 200 USD (~175 Euros).
>>
>>55005064
Get an e202 from Asus, much better quality for a minor price bump, it's basically an overhauled x205ta
>>
>>55005850
That actually looks pretty awesome.
>>
>>55005064
Macbooks are shit now. They have made them too thin which sacrificed the build quality.
>>
>>55005835
t430 has a shit keyboard. no wonder you paid less
also that thing has an ssd and a 1600x900 screen

you probably have shit
>>
>>55005064
MacBook Air:

Build quality
Reliability
Form factor
Battery life
Apples customer support

That last one is what matters a lot to me. It fucks up, I take it to a store and they replace it.

Anything else takes weeks and I gotta post it. Away.

Don't touch surface. I had the pro. 4. Buggy, woeful battery and sleep wake issues.

Ghastly trackpad click too. It's trivial, but that sound made me feel uncomfortable.
>>
I have the ideapad.

The screen isn't terrible at all.

For all you want to do, it's fine. The build quality is good too, it feels more expensive than it is.

The worst thing about it is the trackpad. It's almost unusable
>>
>>55005835
American used Thinkpad market is way better than pretty much anywhere else in the world, you can't expect Euros to be able to get the crazy good deals we can. Considering how much these laptops retailed for, even 300 Euros isn't that bad of a price.
>>
>>55007907
>again with the "muh classic keyboard" meme
There's a BIOS mod to make the old keyboard work with no compromises.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3my_0UmYu4
please downvote
because it doesn't have ssd
>>
>not getting the recent Asus UX301LA
>>
>>55005064

Is that an x260? I have that piece of shit. The old think pads are worlds better for actual typing. I have a t520 and a w520.

Still I actually require the fucking battery life of the X260 and it lasts me 10+ hours easy when working with text and ssh. I saw something about putting an internal battery in the older ones and then swaping out the external but they never last me more then 3 hours right now it feels like it would be annoying. There is nothing that beats it. Plus its better then other new laptops fuck apple and their out of date bash.
>>
>>55005224
>They sell used thinkpads for A$110?
>That aren't single core celerons?
You can get T420/x220 for around $200, hardly a difference.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.